Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Oct 10, 2016 at 7:45 PM Post #23,897 of 42,765
Okay. This isn't going anywhere. Almost every amp will have a ruler flat response and slight roll off at the edges. Which is why I'll say again, you should use parametric EQ. Parametric being the operative word here. Graphic equalizers will have the problem you're talking about... Parametric means you can shape it yourself.

Your headphones will have the biggest impact on the frequency response ofyour system.

U mean like this?
http://www.musicgoroundboston.com/p/508228/used-audio-arts-engineering-model-1500-parametric-eq?gclid=CjwKEAjw-Oy_BRDg4Iqok57a4kcSJADsuDK1AIEM-02SuMUnVq7nhGhciDk9PsZXzaQ76QQEbLJOFRoCuYfw_wcB

Oct 10, 2016 at 7:51 PM Post #23,899 of 42,765
Thanks, I'll give it a listen for a few days. I just hate being super critical about music / frequency responses and switching between devices constantly. It's headache-inducing for me! Would you say the Mojo has a better sounstage for movies? As stated before I'll only use stereo headphones, in this case Fidelio X2's.

Considering I'm only using it in one place never on the go... would you say there are better alternatives for the price of the mojo?

You should be able to immediately hear the differences between the two without too much switching between them, the Mojo is that much better. I can't really speak for movie soundstage, but for music, the Mojo has more space between instruments, more precise placing, is slightly wider and much deeper. There are more layers of detail in the depth direction and they seem to more in focus.
It's less fatiguing. That's the part that takes a while to figure out.
As far as better alternative's for the price, purely for sound there is none. But if sound isn't the criteria then strictly for desktop there are better alternatives. I can't really speak for them because I never owned them.

Oct 10, 2016 at 8:04 PM Post #23,902 of 42,765
Oct 10, 2016 at 8:17 PM Post #23,905 of 42,765
Okay so use a 100Hz low shelf to bump the bass to something you like. The taper will prevent it from gaining the mids.

oh okay, I did that always before. Just wondering can it be better than that.

It's okay if that's the only option I can go :)

Oct 10, 2016 at 8:19 PM Post #23,906 of 42,765
  Wasapi doesn't show in Foobar2000 settings at all. WHY?

In JRiver, both ASIO and Wasapi show up.

U need to install it by yourself.

Eg: Google "Foobar2000 wasapi"

Download
Go to Foobar2000 preference
Install (find the place of downloaded wasapi)
Finish
Still in preference; Output - Choose mojo event

Oct 10, 2016 at 8:45 PM Post #23,907 of 42,765
Great information, I did go through parts of 3rd post to setup mojo initially, looks like need to keep going back there. 

Do you think Mojo benefits from an external amp? It individually sounds so good, OMG!

Quote:
All the information regarding the lack of a separate amp stage is in THE THIRD POST OF THIS THREAD as the thread title suggests. Rob Watts, the designer of Chord DACs, has graciously shared his design approach and I suggest anyone with questions refer to the third post for answers as @Mython has spent a considerable amount of time gathering and organizing this information for users.

TL;DR

The Mojo indeed just uses the I/V conversion only in the output path. Think of it as the Mojo is driving headphones from the Mojo's discrete line output. It has to do with the substrate noise lacking from the DAC (and the resulting incredible measured performance) that he is able to do this without analogue filtering, or extra op-amps in the path. No other non-Chord DAC takes this approach because they require extra filtering in the analogue stage. Again, Rob explains it better in the third post.

Almost, all my music library is DSD, thanks for the advice. 

Quote:
Rob has expressed, in the third post, that upsampling is a bad idea. In particular he is not a fan of DSD.

Here, I'll quote it for you:

Oct 10, 2016 at 8:47 PM Post #23,910 of 42,765

Users who are viewing this thread

Back