Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Sep 28, 2016 at 12:57 PM Post #23,387 of 42,765

As per the title of this thread, please read post #3 for many answers and detailed information.

Also, there is a 'search' function for each thread, on Head-Fi, which you may find helpful for finding previous discussions:

Thanks @tretneo. I'll try that option. Will do @Mython. actually read post#3, but had only seen the options with the camera connector kit, but appreciate feedback. 

Sep 28, 2016 at 12:58 PM Post #23,388 of 42,765

I have occasionally used the Mojo as a DAC into the Jotenheim. It was.. fine. Obviously, the Jotenheim sound loads better, the Mojo sounds very disappointing driving my HD650s directly, but out of this world balanced from the Jot. The HE400i sound a little better from the Mojo, as they're easy to drive, but are wider, clearer and more detailed from that amp, as you'd expect (especially running balanced).

The Mojo's amplification is very underwhelming for many full-sized cans, but it makes a nice clean single-ended DAC. Remember to hold down both volume buttons when powering on to make it instantly jump to the right level for line out!

I remember you saying you replaced Mojo as your desktop dac with a Modi Multibit. The Modi  doesn't overheat like the Mojo does in your system. I never had that kind of problem (even with traveling) a very easy solution is just to put the AC on and it cools the whole room (Mojo included).

What kind of differences did you find between Mojo and Modi MB in DAC only mode connected to Jot?

Sep 28, 2016 at 1:21 PM Post #23,389 of 42,765

As per the title of this thread, please read post #3 for many answers and detailed information.

Also, there is a 'search' function for each thread, on Head-Fi, which you may find helpful for finding previous discussions:

Thanks @tretneo. I'll try that option. Will do @Mython. actually read post#3, but had only seen the options with the camera connector kit, but appreciate feedback. 

blink.gif
  There are half a dozen cables listed there, that will circumvent the need for the CCK:

Sep 28, 2016 at 2:09 PM Post #23,391 of 42,765
Unfortunately , mojo doesn't allow it to be solely use in that kind of set-up , the fact is mojo doesn't has output for that kind of usage , all it had is input no output of other kind except the two 3.5 headphone jack .
The mojo is not meant to be use like that . It was meant to be use the way the mojo is meant to be use which the designer has intended for .

But I did pair up the mojo with the sound blaster E5 , and I very much enjoyed all of it .
The purpose of doing it because I'm love the eq of the SBX so much and I'm very much hooked on it , which brings total satisfaction to all my genres of music .

I've seen plenty of people use the Mojo as a DAC only with a 3.5mm mini to dual RCA cable. Cavalli Audio, for one, has demonstrated several of their amps with the Mojo in the past.

Sep 28, 2016 at 2:18 PM Post #23,392 of 42,765
To be fair every DAC needs an analogue output stage, so the "all dual-amping is bad" attitude is sometimes exaggerated as long as the source (the Mojo in this case) puts out a really clean signal and as long as the Amp that is connected to it is not too shabby, and as everybody here should know, the Mojo is a great measuring device with a clean output.

I'm by the way also using my Mojo as a DAC only in over 80% of applications for two or three reasons.

Sep 28, 2016 at 2:20 PM Post #23,393 of 42,765
Has anyone paired the Mojo with the Vorzuge Pure II+ ?

Sep 28, 2016 at 2:38 PM Post #23,396 of 42,765
I have occasionally used the Mojo as a DAC into the Jotenheim. It was.. fine. Obviously, the Jotenheim sound loads better, the Mojo sounds very disappointing driving my HD650s directly, but out of this world balanced from the Jot. The HE400i sound a little better from the Mojo, as they're easy to drive, but are wider, clearer and more detailed from that amp, as you'd expect (especially running balanced).

The Mojo's amplification is very underwhelming for many full-sized cans, but it makes a nice clean single-ended DAC. Remember to hold down both volume buttons when powering on to make it instantly jump to the right level for line out!

People keep mentioning "this mode is a 3V output"... Can someone put this in context? Nominally 3Vpp, 3Vrms, or 3Vpk? Is this at full scale?

Sep 28, 2016 at 3:16 PM Post #23,398 of 42,765
Unfortunately , mojo doesn't allow it to be solely use in that kind of set-up , the fact is mojo doesn't has output for that kind of usage , all it had is input no output of other kind except the two 3.5 headphone jack .
The mojo is not meant to be use like that . It was meant to be use the way the mojo is meant to be use which the designer has intended for .

If you read the manual, it absolutely is intended to be able to deliver a line level, if you want to run it into a full sided amp. Heck, if you hold down both volume buttons while powering it on, it will preset the output level to one suitable for a line level. It delivers a remarkably clean and pleasant SE signal, and sounds good through some serious amps.

@Ancipital, in what sense you feel mojo is not able to drive hd650 ? I use Beyer dt880 600ohm with mojo and I never felt I needed any external amp. in fact I rarely need to go beyond dark blue level of mojo. as far as I know hd650 has much less impedance than 600ohm .

There's a big difference between "goes loud" and "doesn't make your headphones sound like detail-free insipid poop". The HD650 sound bland, lacking in detail and separation, lacking in bass and highs right out of the Mojo. They're a wonderful headphone but have demanding amplification requirements in reality; it's probably completely unfair to expect the Mojo to drive them.

As to what is lacking, I have no clue, I'm not qualified to guess- is it overall power? Current? Slew rate? But it sounds really bad. HD650 (at least as stock) are warm, slightly bassy but ultra-detailed dynamics with a decent soundstage. Out of the Mojo, most of that detail is simply not there, the the FR just sounds flat- especially at the low end.

That said, it's possible to hear "loud" and think that it's right, unless you're used to those headphones from a better amp; made that mistake myself in the past.

The Mojo is fine driving easy stuff like Oppo PM-3, HD-25 or IEMs- they all sound fantastic. HD650? Not so much.

Sep 28, 2016 at 3:22 PM Post #23,399 of 42,765
People keep mentioning "this mode is a 3V output"... Can someone put this in context? Nominally 3Vpp, 3Vrms, or 3Vpk? Is this at full scale?

The default max voltage is 6V, so pressing the 2 volume balls is just a short cut to setting the output voltage to 3V. 
You can leave the output at 3V, or adjust it using the volume balls to increase/decrease the voltage/volume.
4 presses of the -ve ball, reduces the voltage to 1.9V, which is not too far from the 2V which was the standard output voltage from early CD players (but we are talking 30 years ago).

My Arcam amplifier has a max input voltage of 2.5V, so I start the mojo at 3V then 2 presses of the -ve ball, and that seems to work perfectly ok.

here is the info from post #3
To set the output level to 3V ( line level ) for connection to a preamplifier press both volume buttons
together when switching on the unit. Both volume balls will illuminate light blue. This mode is not
remembered so when you switch off it will reset back to the previous volume stored for safety reasons.

Has anyone experienced the Mojo keeping its 3V setting even after turning off and on again? It happened twice to me. Fist time, it almost killed my Fitear 335. Luckily I notice the huge hiss at the beginning of the song and unplugged it quickly. Second time, I saw the volume balls was illuminated in violet and had to decrease the volume (usually they are pink-ish).

The Mojo remembers what volume you had last and does not reset when you turn it off.

Line out mode is an exception, unless you have pressed a volume button while in it. Then the volume you set will be saved, if you did not change volume in Line out mode, it will not save to 3V for obvious reasons.

To set the output level to 1.9V RMS, first follow the above guidance, to attain 3V, and then continue further, with the following:

Yes 4 clicks down will set it to 1.9v (both balls indigo). Each step is always a 1 dB change.

Please no worries!
However, iwas wondering if you could answer, the Mojo on line level mode - does this still run thru the Mojo's amp? from how i understand your earlier descriptions, buth the amping and DAC is done in the FPGA?
thus there is no way to truly use it as a dac without double amping?

Line level mode is just a volume preset for the volume control - nothing else changes.

Mojo has an FPGA (which is digital logic only) a discrete DAC (turning digital signals to analogue via flip-flops and resistors) and a single output amplifier - and that is it.

Conventional DAC headphone amps use differential outputs and have two I to V converters (current to voltage), a differential to single ended converter, and an output amplifier. Wrapped up with that is a analogue filter. So that's a lot of passive components and four amplifiers in the signal path. 

Because Mojo's FPGA has extensive digital filtering (at 2048 FS) and has a noise shaper that runs at a very high rate (104MHz) and uses a discrete DAC, I can keep the analogue section radically simpler, and this is one reason why Mojo is so transparent compared to all other DAC amps.

Rob

@xtr4 i understand the FPGA designs makes the dac and amp essentally the same... what im really trying to get at is, can the FPGA's amp functions be bypassed so it is used simply as a DAC, and the two 3.5mm outs are true line outputs to prevent double amping
Paste

No, you need at least one amplifier to do the critical I to V conversion. Now it is possible to design a voltage only DAC (no amp at all), but they sound poor due to lots of problems - the largest being the huge amount of distortion you get doing it that way. Believe me, if I could make it simpler I would. The key that Mojo has is extremely low distortion and noise (0.00017% 3V 300 Ohms) but only one single amplifier in the signal path - and this amp combines headphone drive, filtering and I to V conversion in a single stage.

Rob

Sep 28, 2016 at 3:38 PM Post #23,400 of 42,765
The default max voltage is 6V, so pressing the 2 volume balls is just a short cut to setting the output voltage to 3V. 
You can leave the output at 3V, or adjust it using the volume balls to increase/decrease the voltage/volume.
4 presses of the -ve ball, reduces the voltage to 1.9V, which is not too far from the 2V which was the standard output voltage from early CD players (but we are talking 30 years ago).

My Arcam amplifier has a max input voltage of 2.5V, so I start the mojo at 3V then 2 presses of the -ve ball, and that seems to work perfectly ok.

here is the info from post #3
To set the output level to 3V ( line level ) for connection to a preamplifier press both volume buttons
together when switching on the unit. Both volume balls will illuminate light blue. This mode is not
remembered so when you switch off it will reset back to the previous volume stored for safety reasons.

To set the output level to 1.9V RMS, first follow the above guidance, to attain 3V, and then continue further, with the following:

Just saying 3V or 6V makes no sense without context. I asked if it was 3Vpp, 3Vpk or 3Vrms and if that was measured at full scale, -6dBFS, etc. ... Without this information the value is nonsensical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back