Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jul 3, 2016 at 7:43 PM Post #19,456 of 42,765
An interesting read: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/great-paper-released-meta-analysis-high-resolution-audio-perceptual-evaluation#RE5lLxDj4u2hMTuI.97

Jul 3, 2016 at 8:35 PM Post #19,459 of 42,765
Jul 3, 2016 at 8:38 PM Post #19,460 of 42,765
IMO, Hi-Res is still largely irrelevant until someone does more to improve recording quality, across the industry, improve mastering quality across the industry, and improve initial (and any secondary) ADC of the recording.

Until that is all taken seriously, Hi-Res ain't truly Hi-Res, IMO. It's just trying to make (and sell) a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

Jul 3, 2016 at 8:46 PM Post #19,461 of 42,765
IMO, Hi-Res is still largely irrelevant until someone does more to improve recording quality, across the industry, improve mastering quality across the industry, and improve initial (and any secondary) ADC of the recording.

Until that is all taken seriously, Hi-Res ain't truly Hi-Res, IMO. It's just trying to make (and sell) a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

Am totally in agreement...that is why with Tidal hi fi, despite playing "cd quality", if the source used is so-so in production quality,
then what does it matter....esp with the older recordings, or stuff from the 70's and 80s etc.

This was one of the reasons I was asking about dynamic range and recordings. For example I like Queen, Rush etc... you go onto Tidal and there's a number of 'best of 'collections of them ( or any popular artist/group that's been around long enough, for that matter)...well which ones are better recorded? that's what I'm trying to find out so I can download the better recorded versions

Jul 3, 2016 at 9:27 PM Post #19,462 of 42,765
The thing that got me most interested in the paper is the section "3.3 How Does Duration of Stimuli and Intervals Affect Results?"

I was comparing Mojo Fiio X3ii back to back the other day. I would listen closely to 15-20 secs of a track on one device and would immediately switch over to the other device and play the same part and listen closely. I repeated this exercise multiple times using various tracks from various genre for close to 30 minutes.

In my test, the difference in SQ between the 2 devices was very small. It was contradictory, to what I am experiencing in my normal everyday listening, where Mojo is proving to be clearly better than the X3ii. Although section 3.3 is not proof, that longer listening sessions are objectively more effective, to discern audio quality, it does agree with my experience.

Jul 4, 2016 at 2:25 AM Post #19,466 of 42,765
Hi anyone who experience both Chord Mojo and Hugo please let me know, Is there any very clear sound quality difference between Hugo VS Mojo?.

If I ONLY CONSIDER SOUND QUALITY is it really worth to upgrade from Mojo to Hugo?

Thanks for your support.

Jul 4, 2016 at 2:40 AM Post #19,467 of 42,765
This Mojo has really shined with everything I've thrown at it... so much so that I'm seriously considering putting my Hugo + Lyr 2 combo up for sale and getting a second Mojo. One for home and one for on the go/work. This thing just blows them out of the water. 

My fav cans are the Fostex TH600/900 (work/home set) and while the sibilance is still there it's much more tame on the Mojo.

I do have a technical question... If I'm using the Mojo as an amp and controlling the volume with my PC/device.. should I Just set the volume to a decent volume or just use line out for a consistent level? I know they are two different things but was wondering what'd it'd do. 

Jul 4, 2016 at 2:45 AM Post #19,468 of 42,765
Hi anyone who experience both Chord Mojo and Hugo please let me know, Is there any very clear sound quality difference between Hugo VS Mojo?.

If I ONLY CONSIDER SOUND QUALITY is it really worth to upgrade from Mojo to Hugo?

Thanks for your support.

Head to the Hugo thread and use the 'Search This Thread' option on top of the page and search for the term 'Mojo'. You should be able to find some comparison there.

Jul 4, 2016 at 2:45 AM Post #19,469 of 42,765
  This Mojo has really shined with everything I've thrown at it... so much so that I'm seriously considering putting my Hugo + Lyr 2 combo up for sale and getting a second Mojo. One for home and one for on the go/work. This thing just blows them out of the water. 

My fav cans are the Fostex TH600/900 (work/home set) and while the sibilance is still there it's much more tame on the Mojo.

I do have a technical question... If I'm using the Mojo as an amp and controlling the volume with my PC/device.. should I Just set the volume to a decent volume or just use line out for a consistent level? I know they are two different things but was wondering what'd it'd do. 

As per Rob, Mojo should get 100% volume input from Source, that will give optimum sound quality from Mojo.

Jul 4, 2016 at 2:48 AM Post #19,470 of 42,765

Nail right on the head, well as far as delivery to the end consumer is concerned.

There is a valid reason for high-res, but those reasons really only exist in the studio, where mixing and adding effects could eventually produce audible problems due to quantisation errors if using just the redbook standard.

It may be that modern productions could have a perceivable gain in audio quality if released as hi-res, but it's a total waste of time and money for all of those hi-res reissues where the original still sits on tape - basically redbook has a higher dynamic range than even the best analogue studio tape recorders which top out at around 13 bits of dynamic range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back