Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
May 19, 2016 at 6:00 AM Post #17,806 of 42,773
  Is the Mojo supposed to be taken outside?
I really can't see how one can fit it in their pockets - I mean it's undoubtedly an amazing device but I don't see how you can really use it outside. Having to use my HA-2 because of the form factor.

Doesn't fit in jeans pocket easily but fine in a jacket/trouser pocket. The Z5mini used purely as a portable music source for the Mojo, I use a S7 as my actual phone.

Also for anyone interested, I've finally managed to get my Mojo/Z5 combination working without EMF interference (noise while over 3G/4G/Wifi).

As I posted earlier in the thread, I put a ferrite core around the cable which nearly eliminated all noise via Wifi/3G but still some with 4G but then made another change.

As I work for a company that makes transformers, I got a small thin piece of soft lamination Iron (used in transformer cores) and placed in the cover of my phone between the Mojo/Z5 and now total silence. No interference noise of any kind with a 10 minute test. Going to give it a good checkout during my lunch-break walk to check fully resolved.

Pics

Thin & Light Case with soft iron insert

Cut pieces of soft iron

Ferrite ring around cable

Highly portable coupled with strong double-sided tape and case/phone acts
as a Mojo button guard

May 19, 2016 at 7:44 AM Post #17,807 of 42,773
The way I use my Mojo is as follows:-

iPhone 6S plus in trouser pocket.
iPhone CCK plus USB cable then feeds to my jacket inside pocket where the Mojo lives
Sennheiser IE800 into the Mojo

This set-up won't work in the summer when I don't need a jacket though :)

I am also struggling to find the best USB cable as the ones that are well shielded are stiff and inflexible. And I have found all the flexible ones I have tried do introduce noise/interference albeit normally drowned out when on the train.

May 19, 2016 at 7:59 AM Post #17,808 of 42,773
Just done my lunch time walking test with the Iron sheet shielding streaming Tidal HiFi then Spotify Extreme over H+/3G/4G (changed a few time during the test) and not a hint of interference.

The audio quality streaming over 3G/4G with Tidal HiFi via UAPP app from Z5mini/Mojo to my Shure SE846's was jaw dropping. I can't ever see me changing from a Mojo unless Chord develop their own DAP based around a Mojo as a single small device with twin microSD slots. 

May 19, 2016 at 8:29 AM Post #17,809 of 42,773
  Just done my lunch time walking test with the Iron sheet shielding streaming Tidal HiFi then Spotify Extreme over H+/3G/4G (changed a few time during the work) and not a hint of interference.

The audio quality streaming over 3G/4G with Tidal HiFi via UAPP app from Z5mini/Mojo to my Shure SE846's was jaw dropping. I can't ever see me changing from a Mojo unless Chord develop their own DAP based around a Mojo as a single small device with twin microSD slots. 

That would be seriously amazing.

May 19, 2016 at 8:39 AM Post #17,810 of 42,773

Where can I get this Soft lamination iron?

Quote:

Doesn't fit in jeans pocket easily but fine in a jacket/trouser pocket. The Z5mini used purely as a portable music source for the Mojo, I use a S7 as my actual phone.

Also for anyone interested, I've finally managed to get my Mojo/Z5 combination working without EMF interference (noise while over 3G/4G/Wifi).

As I posted earlier in the thread, I put a ferrite core around the cable which nearly eliminated all noise via Wifi/3G but still some with 4G but then made another change.

As I work for a company that makes transformers, I got a small thin piece of soft lamination Iron (used in transformer cores) and placed in the cover of my phone between the Mojo/Z5 and now total silence. No interference noise of any kind with a 10 minute test. Going to give it a good checkout during my lunch-break walk to check fully resolved.

Pics

Thin & Light Case with soft iron insert

Cut pieces of soft iron

Ferrite ring around cable

Highly portable coupled with strong double-sided tape and case/phone acts
as a Mojo button guard

May 19, 2016 at 8:51 AM Post #17,811 of 42,773

Think any thin sheet iron should do, just that we have the high grade stuff used in laminated transformer cores (benefits from lacquered coating). I'd say stuff I used is ~0.3mm thick. You in UK ?

May 19, 2016 at 9:39 AM Post #17,812 of 42,773
goodness, i'm pretty lost now. so would you guys go as far as to say that the DAC matters more than a player? I'll be receiving my k10 in a month time and the only player i have right now is an iphone. Planning to get a mojo but am not sure whether if i get the mojo, i would have to get a better player such as a dx 80 or whatsnot... Also waiting for a seiun pro x.

I would say DAC will make more difference but player is also important. I.E - playing through Jriver vs. Windows default there is clearly diference. I realize there Jriver is just a software player but is still a music player.

May 19, 2016 at 10:08 AM Post #17,813 of 42,773
imho mojo even with a cheap Android will beat any dap be it ak 380 . using some tweaks like ferrite core and putting the phone in airplane mode further improves the sound. mojo like any other dac or av equipment takes about an hour to sounds at its best. until previously such minor changes in sound could not be heard but chord DACs with extreme resolution can convey even the minutest of changes in sound like changing of cable, changing of transport etc. I would even with cheapest transport mojo sounds extremely realistic and natural like you are there.

May 19, 2016 at 10:17 AM Post #17,814 of 42,773
I have recently bought X00s. Great pairing with Mojo. I tried the Fostex straight out of my laptop just out of curiosity, and realized again, what a difference Mojo makes. Clarity, depth, refinement, dynamics. If I were trendy, I would finish this post with hashtag 'lovemymojo'. But I am not.

May 19, 2016 at 11:35 AM Post #17,816 of 42,773
Update on the pairing of Mojo with various headphones.  I have been able to test a few others from family:

These have been marvelous matches with Mojo:

Beyerdynamic T1 (first and second gen)  (600 ohm) 

Beyerdynamic T5 (first only)

Shure 535 

Astell and Kern AK T8 ie (made in Germany by Beyerdynamic) --my treadmill and walking preference with Mojo.  

in a pinch, even the Fiio Ex1 has nice soundstage with the Mojo!  

I also have a 30" well made cable that I used in cooler temperatures, keeping Mojo in a jacket pocket.  It also allows for nice Mojo sharing with my wife.  

The Lavricable is being replaced.  

Thus far, the only headphones I did not love with Mojo have been the Beyerdynamic T51 i.   They are very dynamic and my son loves them, but I find them "too much" with Mojo; but this may be to the dynamic nature of them.  Those who love heavy bass seem to love them, but with Mojo it was 'over the top' for my ears. 

I love definition, or 'fidelity' most about Mojo and my two headphones are the T1.2 and the AK T8 ie, both with the tesla magnets (though I don't grasp the science yet).  These allow for me to believe I am hearing the most faithful reproductions of what was intended in the recording.  

The sense of 'accuracy' is so worthwhile to me that I, seriously, don't leave home without Mojo.

May 19, 2016 at 2:35 PM Post #17,820 of 42,773
I'm an Android Guy and I only use Tidal or stored files. Never use Spotify, so no loss for me...

I just tried to connect my Riva turbo x to my digital receiver via Mojo.
I connected my receiver via toslink to mojo and via 3.5mm to the riva and I only got terrible brumming noises. I never use toslink... What's the most likely reason? I set it up while the receiver and TV were running connected via HDMI. Wanted to set it up quick before Bundesliga Religation....

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back