Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Feb 20, 2024 at 9:45 AM Post #9,961 of 10,828
Which is the added value of PW over ddhi one (I have one); being plugged to the 2 3.5mm unbalanced outputs, does provide additional power or SQ? thanks

I don't perceive any sound quality differences. The PW is more robust and has lower chance of stressing mojo 3.5mm ports.

Feb 20, 2024 at 10:55 AM Post #9,962 of 10,828
I started my Mojo 2 today and had loud static and distortion coming out of the right channel. I had to power it down and restart it. Has anyone else encountered this before? Luckily my IEMs seem like they're still okay

Feb 20, 2024 at 1:08 PM Post #9,965 of 10,828
I started my Mojo 2 today and had loud static and distortion coming out of the right channel. I had to power it down and restart it. Has anyone else encountered this before? Luckily my IEMs seem like they're still okay
Yes, though usually from both channels, not just one. It can happen sometimes for no reason (search this thread for 'white noise') and sometimes also happens when I connect the Mojo 2 to my phone before turning on the Mojo 2. Both errors only happen to me when I connect to my phone, not to my PC (both use the USB-C connection). The two errors sound quite different, but I would describe them both as intense white noise (i.e. "static"). In both cases, seems to be some kind of USB issue that's resolved by toggling off/on the Mojo 2. Could be related to the USB cable and/or the source device. Dunno.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2024 at 3:12 PM Post #9,966 of 10,828

Yes, though usually from both channels, not just one. It can happen sometimes for no reason (search this thread for 'white noise') and sometimes also happens when I connect the Mojo 2 to my phone before turning on the Mojo 2. Both errors only happen to me when I connect to my phone, not to my PC (both use the USB-C connection). The two errors sound quite different, but I would describe them both as intense white noise (i.e. "static"). In both cases, seems to be some kind of USB issue that's resolved by toggling off/on the Mojo 2. Could be related to the USB cable and/or the source device. Dunno.

As part of my Mojo 2 review research I ran into this review series where the reviewer has the same white noise issue and seems to have narrowed it down to either a cable or adapter. Might be worth a watch if you are having the issue:

First video -

Update video -

In other news, I pulled the trigger on the Mojo 2 and should have it in a few days. :)

Feb 20, 2024 at 3:34 PM Post #9,967 of 10,828
The white noise blast (one or both channels) issue comes up every few pages. It's just the crappy USB implementation that is used in all Chord DACs. It is well known and there's certainly cables that might be better than others, but, in my experience, the Chord DACs are the only DACs that struggle with this issue, even with perfectly good cables. I have found sending it a constant sample rate prevents it from happening. The white noise blast usually occurs when there's a sample rate change while using USB, especially very high sample rates (in my experience at least). I just avoid using USB with Chord DACs now, stick to bit-perfect optical when it's available, that's the best way to go with Chord DACs, IMO.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2024 at 3:52 PM Post #9,968 of 10,828
I had white noise with my original Mojo using coaxial so in my opinion it is certainly not a cable problem.

Perhaps certain cables fit better (the ddhifi ones in the video above are a snug fit) and that might help avoid a disturbance of the connection but it is pretty hard to argue the USB cable is the problem when a 3.5mm to 3.5mm coaxial cable was in use in my case when the white noise occurred.

The videos above are obviously well intended but they are one persons experience and i don't believe that they indicate accurately what the issue is at its root cause.

My one white noise episode with the Mojo was odd, I recall that the noise was out of one channel with the other playing the song at half speed, something like that, I don't recall specifically.

It isn't peculiar to Chord DACs, I have had white noise with a Schiit DAC when fed by an Android DAP, it would do it every time without fail about 30 seconds from starting the music, seemed like some sort of USB implementation compatibility issue, switched to an Apple iPad and no issue at all. I have had white noise form an iFi Go Bar when messing with settings and seemingly catching it out between one setting and another. In fact I have had white noise far more often with DACs other than my Chord Mojo. That is not of course to say that it isn't a widespread issue caused by the USB implementation with the Mojo and Mojo 2 because it certainly seems to be.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2024 at 10:06 PM Post #9,969 of 10,828
I had white noise with my original Mojo using coaxial so in my opinion it is certainly not a cable problem.
This is the first time I'm reading about someone getting the white noise blast with a coax connection. Are you absolutely sure you were only using the coax? If you had USB plugged in at the same time, I believe the mojo will give USB input the priority.

Feb 20, 2024 at 10:45 PM Post #9,970 of 10,828
This is the first time I'm reading about someone getting the white noise blast with a coax connection. Are you absolutely sure you were only using the coax? If you had USB plugged in at the same time, I believe the mojo will give USB input the priority.
I’ve already posted this a couple of times in this thread, but I also got a blast of white noise using the Mojo’s coax input from a DDC. It happened when Roon switched from a PCM track to a DSD track. Nothing was plugged into the USB ports.

Feb 21, 2024 at 3:42 AM Post #9,971 of 10,828

Definitely coaxial, I have never used the Mojo with more than one source connected, I have no use case to do so.

I recall reading here that the coaxial input eventually ends up using part of the processing circuitry that the USB runs through so isn’t immune to white noise. Excuse my lack of detail, I use this stuff but have zero idea how it all actually functions internally !

Feb 21, 2024 at 7:39 AM Post #9,972 of 10,828
Just an FYI to the Poly discussions the last few pages that I have had ZERO issues with mine and love it to death. A Poly 2 withe the Mojo 2 of course would have been the decision Chord should have made. You can't hold back technology for compatibility or worse because you don't "want" to upgrade the older tech (Poly).

Feb 21, 2024 at 9:07 AM Post #9,973 of 10,828
Just an FYI to the Poly discussions the last few pages that I have had ZERO issues with mine and love it to death. A Poly 2 withe the Mojo 2 of course would have been the decision Chord should have made. You can't hold back technology for compatibility or worse because you don't "want" to upgrade the older tech (Poly).
On one hand sad to say, to circumvent the white noise issue was one of many points because of those I wanted to get the poly, but to be honest, instead of purchasing so many BS, for me it was an investment full of first pain (expensive relatively) and then relief, to get the Poly.
It enabled me to enjoy this great device called Mojo2 without any regret so far.

Feb 23, 2024 at 7:50 PM Post #9,975 of 10,828
Does anyone else hear the imaging and staging collapse when they use silver usb cables to feed music to the Mojo 2 from PC or Android phones?

I've tried two Moon Audio Silver Dragon USB cables and both clears up the sound significantly but takes away depth perception and separation between instruments and vocals.

Same goes for the DDHiFi TC05 but to a slightly lesser degree. The TC07s wields same results as the TC05.

Now, the sound seems to gain better depth perception and separation to the much cheaper priced iFi 90 Degree OTG USB C to USB C and Fiio CL06

And when I use my standard phone charging USB cable, results are similar to the iFi and Fiio cables but not quite there.

I mostly use Qobuz from both my PC and Android phone through USB Audio Player Pro, and while on PC I use a DXIO Pro3Zi via USB C to convert to optical and I still get the same results when interchange between these cables. But sound does sound better from my PC than from my phone though but the difference in sound in cables is still obvious.

Can anyone chime in on their experience and what may be going on here?? Cheaper cables outclassing pricier cables???

Unrelated but I only have white noise issues when I max out the bit rate on Window 10 on my Surface Pro 7+ regardless what cables I use, but not my PC or Phone. Other than that, white noise never been an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back