Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Feb 5, 2024 at 6:01 AM Post #9,841 of 10,546
Where’s the line as to what is the designer’s responsibility and what is our responsibility? I’ve had that same problem going to an IEM and forgetting to change the volume. Not sure Rob Watts should be responsible for my lack of thought?

I'm not putting the responsibility on anyone, the responsibility is obviously mine, I simply said that I would like this functionality and that's it

Feb 5, 2024 at 6:19 AM Post #9,842 of 10,546
Where’s the line as to what is the designer’s responsibility and what is our responsibility? I’ve had that same problem going to an IEM and forgetting to change the volume. Not sure Rob Watts should be responsible for my lack of thought?

Why not? My wife blames me for everything that goes wrong in the World...

I'm not putting the responsibility on anyone, the responsibility is obviously mine, I simply said that I would like this functionality and that's it

Actually I like the idea. My only worry is that it will mean another menu entry, and some will complain that the menu then becomes too complicated. My answer to that is that it would be the last entry so you would only see it if you wanted to. But it would add to the user manual, making it appear more complicated.

Feb 5, 2024 at 6:49 AM Post #9,843 of 10,546
Actually I like the idea. My only worry is that it will mean another menu entry, and some will complain that the menu then becomes too complicated. My answer to that is that it would be the last entry so you would only see it if you wanted to. But it would add to the user manual, making it appear more complicated.
Hi Rob, I'm glad you understood the usefulness of this feature, a few days ago using my Mojo 2 Poly with my desktop station and my LCD-X, I had set an optimal volume by setting the volume leds to blue (should be about 1.2/1.5 volts. Finished listening I turned the Mojo 2 off and after a few hours I left the house with it and my Andromeda, I always remembered to turn the volume down lower than red before starting the audio, but in a moment of overthinking I had forgotten to do this and my brain exploded and for about 3/4 seconds my Andromedas went into a frenzy, I barely made it in time to unplug the audio jack before my eardrums and Andromedas both shattered.

If there was such a feature, the Mojo 2 would always turn on at the stored volume level and when changing from less efficient to more efficient speakers, it wouldn't require remembering to turn the volume down.

I also thought about how such a function could be implemented, e.g. you set an ideally low gain value and to memorise it, press and hold the menu button for a few seconds, this way that volume will always be the one that will be set when the Mojo 2 is turned on., I don't think the way I designed it would have complicated the user experience that much, do you?

I know that nothing can be done now as the Mojo 2 firmware is not upgradeable, but it would have been really useful

Feb 5, 2024 at 7:41 AM Post #9,844 of 10,546
Can anyone recommend a USB-C cable to use with the Mojo? I tried one I had at home, but it blasted my ears with digital noise, and the connection was unstable with cable movements. Same with all the USB-C cables I have at home. The stock Micro USB works fine, but I like to use a longer cable with my computer.
I had the same issue and one of the cables I've found to work is actually the Amazon 'Basics' USB 2.0 cable. The advantage is that if for some reason it doesn't work, you can return it. It's 0.9m and USB C to Micro

Feb 5, 2024 at 7:44 AM Post #9,845 of 10,546
It will be ok until one day it happens to you

You didn't understand, the function I wanted would have memorized the volume automatically when turning it on without pressing anything, so that when you switch to very efficient earphones you won't find the volume set with the previous headphones
If you had an amp with a standard rotary volume control, would you set the volume correctly to suit the headphone/IEM you were about to connect in or just plug them in and hope for the best? Just sayin' :beyersmile:

Feb 5, 2024 at 7:46 AM Post #9,846 of 10,546
My answer to that is that it would be the last entry so you would only see it if you wanted to. But it would add to the user manual, making it appear more complicated.

Maybe a tiny bit more complicated. As @Guy Fawkes suggested, you have the last menu be default turn on volume. In that menu mode the user sets the default volume on power up. You just need to add one more color to the indicator and entry to the manual. Mojo3 ideas I guess.

Feb 5, 2024 at 7:53 AM Post #9,847 of 10,546
If you had an amp with a standard rotary volume control, would you set the volume correctly to suit the headphone/IEM you were about to connect in or just plug them in and hope for the best? Just sayin' :beyersmile:
The LCD-X are very efficient and the Mojo 2 manages to drive them very well, therefore I don't need an additional amplifier between the Mojo 2 and the LCD-X, only that the LCD-X work at an optimal volume between the cyan color and the blue, while the Andromeda which are very efficient I listen to them at a volume between brown and red.

Feb 5, 2024 at 9:20 AM Post #9,848 of 10,546
Why not? My wife blames me for everything that goes wrong in the World...
Just you wait till she finds out about this post! Just you wait .... :relaxed:
May I suggest something:
- An ability to fall back to a default volume level (settable, if not, a preset low-level above zero) after every unplug.
- Can be switched off. i.e. remember last volume (as is now)
Also handy, when plugged in desktop-mode, not blast out the speakers!

Feb 5, 2024 at 9:34 AM Post #9,849 of 10,546
by the way, have any of you ever accidentally fired your balanced armature IEM at maximum volume? mine was a shocking experience that traumatized me forever. The Andromeda went into very strong distortion for a few seconds and it was excruciating, I sincerely hope that nothing was damaged, listening to them it seems that there is no damage, I also contacted Campfire Audio support to ask if they can suggest some tests to do to check the correct integrity of the balanced armatures.

I've read that balanced armor is more resistant of DD when subjected to very high voltage, but I'm not so sure.

Feb 5, 2024 at 9:45 AM Post #9,850 of 10,546
The volume control is what it is. Take it up with the manufacturer directly or waste energy on the internet where those who have nothing to do with it take the matter and we all go around in circles. Achieving nothing but going around in circles.
The designer reads this forum and often contributes. Absolutely no harm in discussing what users see as good or bad features. Of course, give the return to factory firmware update, this is all just wishful thinking but it might plant seeds for future products.

Edit: I see Rob already jumped in…

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2024 at 9:57 AM Post #9,851 of 10,546

How about a dual button press, like for mute, to register the current volume? Menu plus down volume could make sense. You could also set a maximum volume with menu and up volume. Maximum might be a nice option for those who let their kids use their kit.

Feb 5, 2024 at 10:12 AM Post #9,852 of 10,546
How about a dual button press, like for mute, to register the current volume? Menu plus down volume could make sense. You could also set a maximum volume with menu and up volume. Maximum might be a nice option for those who let their kids use their kit.

I had also thought of a combination of buttons: Menu + volume + or volume - button, it would be a good idea

Users who are viewing this thread

Back