Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Dec 22, 2023 at 10:51 AM Post #9,436 of 10,535
I'm considering a Mojo 2 because of the price.
Am I correct in assuming it will sound very different from something like a SMSL D400 or Topping D70?

Likely yes, but may not be as large of difference between the high SINAD negative feedback DS designs (Topping/SMSL) as you may think. It depends of what music you prefer, your amp, your transducers, etc...

You buy the mojo2 for the portability, UHD EQ, and on-board crossfeed. You certainly won't be disappointed with Mojo2 performance as a DAC either.

Dec 22, 2023 at 2:11 PM Post #9,437 of 10,535
Likely yes, but may not be as large of difference between the high SINAD negative feedback DS designs (Topping/SMSL) as you may think. It depends of what music you prefer, your amp, your transducers, etc...

You buy the mojo2 for the portability, UHD EQ, and on-board crossfeed. You certainly won't be disappointed with Mojo2 performance as a DAC either.
Crossfeed is certainly a big plus, as I would like to try it at some point. But I will be using it as a desktop DAC manly with the Roger amp and HE1000's. I was set on an R2R DAC, to take the edge off the HiFiMAN's, but then I got the tube amp, and now I'm looking for a DAC that isn't midrange focused, as I think that will bee a bit too much.
I'm hoping mostly to get an upgrade in staging and imagining, compared to my current SMSL DO100. Contemplating going with either a better SMSL/Topping, or trying something different.

Anyway, thank you for your reply, I appreciate it 👍

Dec 22, 2023 at 3:53 PM Post #9,438 of 10,535
Crossfeed is certainly a big plus, as I would like to try it at some point. But I will be using it as a desktop DAC manly with the Roger amp and HE1000's. I was set on an R2R DAC, to take the edge off the HiFiMAN's, but then I got the tube amp, and now I'm looking for a DAC that isn't midrange focused, as I think that will bee a bit too much.
I'm hoping mostly to get an upgrade in staging and imagining, compared to my current SMSL DO100. Contemplating going with either a better SMSL/Topping, or trying something different.

The Mojo2 combined with a tube amp is fantastic. I've used it with the Folkvangr, Feliks Echo and Elise. Wide, deep and detailed soundstage. There ia some great synergy with the Mojo2 and tubes.

Dec 23, 2023 at 11:55 AM Post #9,439 of 10,535

Crossfeed on the Mojo 2 is excellent. I’ve never been much of a fan of crossfeed via other means (Roon, Equalizer APO, etc), but for some reason it just works on Mojo 2. It’s subtle but effective. Also, you can still use it as a DAC into an amp and use crossfeed. The output is the same regardless of whether you use it as just a DAC or as a DAC/amp. It still goes through the same amplification, signal processing, and output stages no matter what (it really is more like a DAC/pre).

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2023 at 1:17 PM Post #9,440 of 10,535
Crossfeed on the Mojo 2 is excellent. I’ve never been much of a fan of crossfeed via other means (Roon, Equalizer APO, etc), but for some reason it just works on Mojo 2. It’s subtle but effective. Also, you can still use it as a DAC into an amp and use crossfeed. The output is the same regardless of whether you use it as just a DAC or as a DAC/amp. It still goes through the same amplification, signal processing, and output stages no matter what (it really is more like a DAC/pre).
Thanks for the feedback, the Mojo 2 is moving up on the shortlist 👍

Dec 23, 2023 at 4:27 PM Post #9,441 of 10,535
I have no experience with the original Chord Hugo, but given how old the design now is, and how close the Mojo2 can get to the Hugo2 in the right circumstances, is it safe to assume the Mojo2 would best the Hugo on sound quality? I ask because original Hugo prices tend to range between £450-£500 on eBay, while Mojo2 is under £400 new (in the UK). Is there any reason to pay more for the Hugo?

Dec 23, 2023 at 4:54 PM Post #9,442 of 10,535
I have no experience with the original Chord Hugo, but given how old the design now is, and how close the Mojo2 can get to the Hugo2 in the right circumstances, is it safe to assume the Mojo2 would best the Hugo on sound quality? I ask because original Hugo prices tend to range between £450-£500 on eBay, while Mojo2 is under £400 new (in the UK). Is there any reason to pay more for the Hugo?
I had a Hugo2+2Go and sold the combo once I had a Mojo2. I'm personally far more satisfied with the Mojo2 for the size, USB-C and EQ options. To me, it even sounds better. I primarily use Focal Stellias with a Danacable Lazuli Reference Plus cable with the Mojo2.

Dec 23, 2023 at 4:59 PM Post #9,443 of 10,535
I had a Hugo2+2Go and sold the combo once I had a Mojo2. I'm personally far more satisfied with the Mojo2 for the size, USB-C and EQ options. To me, it even sounds better. I primarily use Focal Stellias with a Danacable Lazuli Reference Plus cable with the Mojo2.
Thanks - I had roughly the same experience with Hugo2 vs Mojo2, although I do acknowledge Hugo2 has the upper hand in SQ, overall and especially for the price, Mojo2 was the better proposition for me and I sold Hugo2.

However my question is referring to the original Hugo, which can still be found fairly regularly for sale on eBay.
I can't imagine it beating Mojo2 for SQ if Hugo2 can barely do that... curious to hear if anyone has had experience with both and can shed nay light.

Dec 24, 2023 at 1:33 AM Post #9,444 of 10,535
Curious if you EQ your Stellias?

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2023 at 1:42 AM Post #9,445 of 10,535
Also very helpful.

With the chart posted by @jsk ksj I can make sense of what I'm doing and test the range for the best sound. Thanks!
Keep in mind there’s no high or low gain on Mojo2. It’s just a volume range like any standard amplifier. The white button illuminating is just to say you’re in the second half of the volume range.

Dec 24, 2023 at 10:33 PM Post #9,447 of 10,535
I still can’t believe how smooth the EQ on the Mojo2 is. It really is transparent and efficient. No other DAPs/devices I own have such advanced EQIng!
I don’t know what “transparent” means anymore in audio (thanks to the word’s overuse), but I will say that the EQ in the Mojo 2 is certainly a unique implementation. You can’t use it to correct headphone tunings or anything, but it can add some nice flavor to certain genres or albums.

When I use the Mojo 2 at my desktop, I greatly prefer Roon’s DSP tools to the Mojo’s EQ (however, I do prefer the Mojo 2’s crossfeed processing to Roon’s). But when I use the Mojo 2 as a portable device, it’s fun to use the EQ to add a little spice now and then.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2023 at 1:55 AM Post #9,448 of 10,535
I don’t know what “transparent” means anymore in audio (thanks to the word’s overuse), but I will say that the EQ in the Mojo 2 is certainly a unique implementation. You can’t use it to correct headphone tunings or anything, but it can add some nice flavor to certain genres or albums.

When I use the Mojo 2 at my desktop, I greatly prefer Roon’s DSP tools to the Mojo’s EQ (however, I do prefer the Mojo 2’s crossfeed processing to Roon’s). But when I use the Mojo 2 as a portable device, it’s fun to use the EQ to add a little spice now and then.
I don’t know what you mean when you say you can use it to correct tunings, because that’s exactly what I use it for, and it does a great job at it..and by transparent I mean it doesn’t impart any sort of color to the sound aside from the chosen applied frequency change.

Dec 25, 2023 at 5:20 AM Post #9,449 of 10,535
Hi team. I have just received a Mojo2 for Xmas and hope you can help with advice - this will be used as a desktop DAC/headamp.

Years back I used to run Audirvana on my mac mini, with a Tidal subscription and fed into a Uptone Iso-regen then to my DAC/headamp, a Questyle 600i. I was very happy with this. My home system is different and uses Holo Cyan also very happy with this.

Over time I have let Audivarna lapse and my Tidal subscription lapse. So what do I need now with the Mojo2?

If I resubscribe to any of Tidal/Quobuz/etc I understand I can access them via a Wiim mini with optical out (so bypassing the wiim dac) feeding the bit perfect signal to the Mojo2.

1. Given the design of the Mojo2 is there any need for Audirvana for my non-streaming library music (played via mac mini ) - would iTunes into Mojo2 be of the same end quality?

2. For streaming is there any advantage to using Audirvana rather than the Wiim app?

3. Given the design of the Mojo2 Is there any reason to employ an IsoRegen with the Mojo2?

4. Is it correct th fast an Lps adds no real advantage with Mojo2?

Thank you in advance. Vincent

Dec 25, 2023 at 8:14 AM Post #9,450 of 10,535
I don’t know what you mean when you say you can use it to correct tunings, because that’s exactly what I use it for, and it does a great job at it..and by transparent I mean it doesn’t impart any sort of color to the sound aside from the chosen applied frequency change.

Mojo2 is not PEQ therefore not as precise as Roon's EQ. I agree with you though, you should be able to "correct" tuning with the Mojo2 using the posted file that shows you graphically the Mojo2 EQ settings to get very close to PEQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back