Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Dec 14, 2023 at 5:50 PM Post #9,391 of 10,838
In my case, I have carpal tunnel so I'm very, very casual on the Gaming side.

I use a high quality trackball with my opposite hand, not a Gaming Mouse.

I think we are going off course with competive gaming arguments. Sure, there are other non-Chord products more optimal for competitive gaming or esports.

I'm just bringing up higher quality Soundstage improvements I experienced just last month that improve my Gaming experience.

No one is setting out to build the ultimate competive gaming audio rig or that having a Chord DAC for gaming makes you an elite Pro Gamer.

I don't understand where all this Monitor, Bluetooth latency comes into play. Let's just move on from anything Gaming.

I didn't join this thread to be a distraction.

I have the most optimal Toslink chain and most optimal USB optical chain for Chord DACs. I just want to see if I can replicate with a simple, value USB source in 2024 and not discuss what I already have it production. If I can't level up in Soundstage with the new USB source, then I will give up on that USB source. It should be of very good value for M2 Desktop Users if it works out.
The whole matter was about latency having an impact on gaming. For some it is fine, for others it will be an issue. It is a matter of understanding that just because you do not notice the issue doesn't mean it is not there and quite noticeable for others.

Monitor and bluetooth latency came into play from the post I quoted.

Dec 14, 2023 at 5:53 PM Post #9,392 of 10,838
How much better is mojo2 to mojo1?

Is it worth bying the mojo 2 or is mojo1 almost the same?
Depends on the rest of the setup IMO. Mojo 2 is quite a bit better than Mojo 1, but on some headphones the difference was very minor while it was very large on some headphones. Best thing is to try them side by side in a setup similar to the one you want to use. For me the Mojo 2 is very much worth it over OG Mojo but YMMV.

Dec 14, 2023 at 6:02 PM Post #9,393 of 10,838
Sorry to hear about your health issues.

Just wondering if you might get better traction and reception/buy in with this stuff on a forum that is more directly related despite that there is some Chord involvement.

Based on reading here a bit I get the impression that most people, myself included, are more interested in the day to day practical use of the Mojo and Mojo 2 rather than in depth dissection of some loosely related USB development project.

Anyway ..... that is just me, I have had my say.

No, that's fine. But because of these health issues, I just don't want to expend the energy needed on the other Chord threads. I just want to stick with something more casual and nostalic like "White Noise" issues. "White Noise" is a bit of a dealbreaker.

Some Chord users evolve, either to other Chord products or from USB to Toslink/Coax or Toslink/Coax to USB. They even evolve from portable M2 to desktop M2.

I get that portable is 90% use case, but we all go through different Chord stages. It may seem static now, but some evolve over time.

It's okay, I need a break to recharge. I wasn't planning on becoming a permenant resident here without a M2, just a little catching up. I hardly have the energy these days to commit to much. I also like checking out how M2 users architect their portable chains with USB-C.

Although, I do have on my bucket list to cruise on a Vespa in Italy with a M2 if my health ever improves (Youtube Video). I can't do that with a iPhone dongle (No Musicality) or another Chord DAC. I think only the M2 can provide this carefree, toe tapping musical portable bucket list experience. YOLO.

Warning, gun violence near the end of video (36 second mark):

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2023 at 6:09 PM Post #9,394 of 10,838
The whole matter was about latency having an impact on gaming. For some it is fine, for others it will be an issue. It is a matter of understanding that just because you do not notice the issue doesn't mean it is not there and quite noticeable for others.

Monitor and bluetooth latency came into play from the post I quoted.

I get it, but it got completely off M2 (Chord) track. Good talk though.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2023 at 10:09 PM Post #9,395 of 10,838
How much better is mojo2 to mojo1?

Is it worth bying the mojo 2 or is mojo1 almost the same?

It is much better, and more noticeably so the better the associated equipment. More transparent, less distortion, better timing and taps, crossfeed and DSP if you want them. I’ve been using DCA Aeon 2 and it’s been great, but just got DCA E3 and, even though they are about 3 db less sensitive, Mojo2 drives them very well. Haven’t been above -13db (about 1v or 90dB) to get plenty quality loudness. Edit: the dual light blue color on Mojo2.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2023 at 10:23 PM Post #9,396 of 10,838
I’ve been using DCA Aeon 2 and it’s been great, but just got DCA E3 and, even though they are about 3 db less sensitive, Mojo2 drives them very well. Haven’t been above -13db (about 1v or 90dB) to get plenty quality loudness. Edit: the dual light blue color on Mojo2.
I’m similarly floored that the Mojo 2 will power my HE6’s. Not just that, but it powers them to higher SPL than my Singxer SA-1 headphone amp, which is rated at ~5x the power. Now, I don’t think those headphones sound as good through just the Mojo 2, but, still, I can’t believe it can power them at all.

EDIT: Writing the above, it just dawned on me that I’ve been using the Mojo 2 primarily as a desktop preamp (with an internal DAC). I route three different sources into it. I use the volume pot to add some gain before feeding it into my headphone amp. It’s a freakin preamp. If Chord added the ability to switch active inputs with a button press, this thing would be replacing gear twice its price.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2023 at 10:31 PM Post #9,397 of 10,838
I have no issue using mojo2 with the DCA Stealth or Diana V2. Both cans are known to be a challenge to drive. It'a fun to crank up the bass while listening to the Stealth.

Dec 14, 2023 at 10:46 PM Post #9,398 of 10,838
I’m similarly floored that the Mojo 2 will power my HE6’s. Not just that, but it powers them to higher SPL than my Singxer SA-1 headphone amp, which is rated at ~5x the power. Now, I don’t think those headphones sound as good through just the Mojo 2, but, still, I can’t believe it can power them at all.

EDIT: Writing the above, it just dawned on me that I’ve been using the Mojo 2 primarily as a desktop preamp (with an internal DAC). I route three different sources into it, use the volume pot to boost the signal. It’s a freakin preamp. Wild that this isn’t something I’ve seen talked about by Chord, reviewers, or other listeners.

Using the Mojo 2 to feed a headphone amp not uncommon and works great. I don't know many that wouid use the mojo2 as a true preamp into a power amp, but you could. The headphone output runs directly off the FGPA, there is no separate amplifier or gain stage per say like most DAC/amps.

It sounds like you are running the optical coax, and usb to different sources and then the output to different amps? Sounds interesting. I haven't run across that usage that I recall.

Dec 15, 2023 at 2:56 AM Post #9,399 of 10,838
It sounds like you are running the optical coax, and usb to different sources and then the output to different amps? Sounds interesting. I haven't run across that usage that I recall.
I run a PC, a laptop, and a gaming console into it. That can’t be that unusual for a desktop setup. I only output it to one amp though, but now you’ve got me thinking that you could use the second analog output for an active subwoofer. I don’t have a need at my desk since I only use headphones there, but if one were to use this as a DAC/preamp in a speaker setup, it would get you surprisingly far. Up to a point at least (no remote, no easy input switching). Hmm.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2023 at 4:11 AM Post #9,400 of 10,838
I run a PC, a laptop, and a gaming console into it. That can’t be that unusual for a desktop setup. I only output it to one amp though, but now you’ve got me thinking that you could use the second analog output for an active subwoofer. I don’t have a need at my desk since I only use headphones there, but if one were to use this as a DAC/preamp in a speaker setup, it would get you surprisingly far. Up to a point at least (no remote, no easy input switching). Hmm.
yea the input switching would the main issue in this setup I reckon.
How do you manage that - presume you only operate/power on one of the source devices at a time?

Dec 15, 2023 at 9:34 AM Post #9,404 of 10,838
yea the input switching would the main issue in this setup I reckon.
How do you manage that - presume you only operate/power on one of the source devices at a time?
I actually have to pull cables. But since I also use the Mojo as a portable DAC/amp, I’m already pulling and plugging cables into it all the time anyway. So no big deal for my use cases, but definitely not what you’d want in a legit preamp. Nevertheless that’s essentially what I’m using it as.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2023 at 5:45 PM Post #9,405 of 10,838
I'm facing a problem. When I connect the Mojo 2 to the GSX Mini, the sound on my LCD 4 only sounds correct when both volume indicators are white. I'm aware that distortion comes into play, but I have the feeling that the Mojo 2's amp is the limiting factor here. For example, if I go to purple in volume then I lose the intense bass and energy that the LCD 4 needs. It's hard to explain. Unfortunately I don't know how to solve the problem without buying a balanced dac. Changing the RCA cable for a 3.5 to dual XLR doesn't make any sense

Users who are viewing this thread

Back