Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Nov 30, 2023 at 11:46 AM Post #9,226 of 10,527
None of you all have the new iPhone 15 Pro models obviously..........they get HOT, my Mojo 2 doesn't get hot, warm but not hot whatsoever. If you are using it outside then use a lighter colored cover to reflect some of that heat instead of absorbing it like a black aluminum shell will do naked. I use the Green leather Miter case with my MJ2/Poly and it stays at a temperature I am comfortable with, again my iPhone 15 Pro Max on the other hand gets hot to the touch when charging and on calls 🤯.
I have heard of these iPhone 15 issues and have a 15 Pro Max that doesn't heat up too much... got lucky.
More to the topic of heat and MOJO/Poly I simply put mine on its side, balls up, when it gets warm and that seems to keep temperatures in check especially when charging while in use. Exposes more surface area for cooling. Desktop mode on the MOJO 2 is brilliant. MOJO original comes up short in that regard but I found the battery easy to change out thanks to posters here. Sourcing an OEM battery was another matter.
Using an original Van Nuys MOJO/Poly case modified to work well with either MOJO/Poly combination.
When mobile and the temperatures out are really high I don't want to risk my earphones being damaged by perspiration so I switch to AirPods Pro2 with the iPhone. Sound quality not as good but less ambient noise in trade. I believe the MOJO/Poly temps would be OK but not ideal. These are tough units and overbuilt compared to many consumer items.

Dec 1, 2023 at 10:32 AM Post #9,227 of 10,527
I have heard of these iPhone 15 issues and have a 15 Pro Max that doesn't heat up too much... got lucky.
More to the topic of heat and MOJO/Poly I simply put mine on its side, balls up, when it gets warm and that seems to keep temperatures in check especially when charging while in use. Exposes more surface area for cooling. Desktop mode on the MOJO 2 is brilliant. MOJO original comes up short in that regard but I found the battery easy to change out thanks to posters here. Sourcing an OEM battery was another matter.
Using an original Van Nuys MOJO/Poly case modified to work well with either MOJO/Poly combination.
When mobile and the temperatures out are really high I don't want to risk my earphones being damaged by perspiration so I switch to AirPods Pro2 with the iPhone. Sound quality not as good but less ambient noise in trade. I believe the MOJO/Poly temps would be OK but not ideal. These are tough units and overbuilt compared to many consumer items.
Not bad!
But believe it or not, laying Mojo (1 or 2) on its face down with the logo touching a table, gives the best heat dissipation. Reasons:
- the battery is stuck to the half shell that the logo is printed on. The battery is the only part that needs to be kept cool, and that is why there is a bit of insulating foam on the underside of the battery, to shield from hot electronics. As heat rises, keeping the battery at the lowest point is logical. Also, the metal, that needs to be kept cool, would be touching the table, so it can direct heat away.
- What really heats up the Mojo, while charging (the main culprit) is the charge pump circuit that happens to be almost touching the bottom shell. Keep that facing up, and you lose the heat faster.
Of course, keeping the whole thing in a thick leather cover, does not help!

Dec 1, 2023 at 10:43 AM Post #9,228 of 10,527
Not bad!
But believe it or not, laying Mojo (1 or 2) on its face down with the logo touching a table, gives the best heat dissipation. Reasons:
- the battery is stuck to the half shell that the logo is printed on. The battery is the only part that needs to be kept cool, and that is why there is a bit of insulating foam on the underside of the battery, to shield from hot electronics. As heat rises, keeping the battery at the lowest point is logical. Also, the metal, that needs to be kept cool, would be touching the table, so it can direct heat away.
- What really heats up the Mojo, while charging (the main culprit) is the charge pump circuit that happens to be almost touching the bottom shell. Keep that facing up, and you lose the heat faster.
Of course, keeping the whole thing in a thick leather cover, does not help!
Upside down on a solid aluminium table, painted black, with a high powered fan blowing at it, but I suspect we are getting carried away a little.

Dec 1, 2023 at 12:30 PM Post #9,229 of 10,527
honestly I wouldn't say that they don't heat, during the hot season in Italy, both the Mojo 2 and the Poly become very hot when they are in operation, even while charging, I have to plug them into a socket in the basement of my house which usually stays slightly longer fresh from the higher floors. No problem however during the cold season.

I wrote to Chord about the (then) Mojo OG and the Poly, both housed in the Chord case securing both units, and the impact on excessive outdoor heat and normal use. Here is their reply:
"The answer to the temperature questions is that Mojo and Poly have a thermal cutout. If this is not exceeded, they'll keep working as normal. Given this cutout is set for something in the region of 70 degrees (presume Celsius??), you should be fine."

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2023 at 1:43 PM Post #9,230 of 10,527
Your like to post ratio is 4:1 - That's pretty good. I would stop posting there if I were you :)

Glad you like the mojo. People can debate whether they can hear differences between source gear, but good quality EQ is something which really adds value.
Which EQ setting do you suggest for classic and progressive ‘70s rock, and which one for jazz guitar? Thanks

Dec 1, 2023 at 1:47 PM Post #9,231 of 10,527
Great Balls of Fire ☄️I’m enjoying the Chord Mojo 2 with Dan Clark Aeon 2 cabled with Moon Audio headphone cable! I’ll also be using the Mojo2 with the Sennheiser IE 600 when I need to travel a bit lighter. Now do I need a Poly?
Poly next IMO :L3000:

Dec 1, 2023 at 1:59 PM Post #9,232 of 10,527
Poly next IMO :L3000:
I've been off and on looking at the Poly. It makes a lot of sense to add it to the Mojo2. My only concern is that I've read some reviews/comments that it is kind of difficult to use. I've asked this before and if answered I've forgotten the response (s). I live in an Apple device world. How difficult would it be to download music to the memory card on the Poly from my M1 MacMini from Tidal/Quobuz? Is there a memory card that would be able to handle a good number of high Rez music files?

If I saw it on sale I'd probably dive in! :smile_phones:

Dec 1, 2023 at 2:33 PM Post #9,233 of 10,527
I've been off and on looking at the Poly. It makes a lot of sense to add it to the Mojo2. My only concern is that I've read some reviews/comments that it is kind of difficult to use. I've asked this before and if answered I've forgotten the response (s). I live in an Apple device world. How difficult would it be to download music to the memory card on the Poly from my M1 MacMini from Tidal/Quobuz? Is there a memory card that would be able to handle a good number of high Rez music files?

I’ve got a MacBook Pro and use my Poly with a 512GB* SD card. I pop it in the card reader I’ve got for the MacBook Pro and use the app Beyond Compare to check for new files I’ve bought and downloaded from Qobuz on my MacBook Pro SSD that aren’t on the Poly SD card and then it just copies them across. Pop back in the Poly and it’ll index and I’m ready to go.

*I’m about to buy a 1TB card as I’ve run out of space. This’ll work fine on Poly too.

Dec 1, 2023 at 2:45 PM Post #9,234 of 10,527

OK let me see if I can help
I live in an Apple device world. - My condolences :jecklinsmile:

How difficult would it be to download music to the memory card on the Poly from my M1 MacMini from Tidal/Quobuz?
Music from Qobuz/Tidal would not be available offline, however certain apps will allow you to connect to your Tidal/Qobuz library , I have used mconnect for this on both Android and iOS. You can load your own music to a SD card for use at your leisure.

Is there a memory card that would be able to handle a good number of high Rez music files?
I have used several brands I would personally go for something like Samsung, Sandisk, Kingston, etc U3 rated

Dec 1, 2023 at 3:21 PM Post #9,235 of 10,527

Not difficult to use. If you are using it at home with stable WiFi and something like Roon, it is a truly amazing device. UPnP/DLNA streaming also works nice. But the key is stable WiFi. MConnect is an excellent 3rd party app for Apple devices.

When using it out and about without stable WiFi trying to use DLNA/UPnP streaming, Qobuz/Tidal, etc... Then it is a pain. Yes there are workarounds. I know because I did that for years. But it requires a manically persistent desire to use it without stable Wifi. Well, that might be an exaggeration, but you get the point.

For non streaming portable use, the onboard MPD using the SD card is very easy as well. There are programs from both the apple and android side that are pretty decent to control the poly. Playlist creating is a bit of a pain, but no more than most DAPs. But the poly/gofigure combo pales in comparison functionally to even the most basic DAP like the Shanling M0.

That being said, I'm contemplating diving back into the poly-verse since I use my Mojo 2 90% at home while streaming from Roon to a Sony DAP. The combo is incredible outside of the home via Roon ARC, but I do miss how nice the poly/mojo functioned with Roon.

Dec 1, 2023 at 3:38 PM Post #9,236 of 10,527
Not difficult to use. If you are using it at home with stable WiFi and something like Roon, it is a truly amazing device. UPnP/DLNA streaming also works nice. But the key is stable WiFi. MConnect is an excellent 3rd party app for Apple devices.

When using it out and about without stable WiFi trying to use DLNA/UPnP streaming, Qobuz/Tidal, etc... Then it is a pain. Yes there are workarounds. I know because I did that for years. But it requires a manically persistent desire to use it without stable Wifi. Well, that might be an exaggeration, but you get the point.

For non streaming portable use, the onboard MPD using the SD card is very easy as well. There are programs from both the apple and android side that are pretty decent to control the poly. Playlist creating is a bit of a pain, but no more than most DAPs. But the poly/gofigure combo pales in comparison functionally to even the most basic DAP like the Shanling M0.

That being said, I'm contemplating diving back into the poly-verse since I use my Mojo 2 90% at home while streaming from Roon to a Sony DAP. The combo is incredible outside of the home via Roon ARC, but I do miss how nice the poly/mojo functioned with Roon.
Very, very helpful!

Dec 1, 2023 at 6:01 PM Post #9,237 of 10,527

`The only issues I have with the iOS implementation is connection outside of my WifI network is only via the16bit 44.1kHz restricted AirPlay (unless I am missing something)

I have tried JPlay, Rigelian without any joy, however with my Android device all I need do is turn on my phones hotspot and connect Mojo/Poly to the hotspot and all features are available to me on the go especially when away from home.

Dec 1, 2023 at 6:12 PM Post #9,238 of 10,527
I used Poly for 3 days. I am very glad I bought it. Easy setup and good sound quality.

I was previously hesitant to buy Poly because it would make mojo 2 lose USB connection. It would be inconvenient for me if I need playback from my PC. However, I found Poly's bluetooth was quite good and convenient although it was only 4.1. It has very little latency comparing to other bluetooth device. I am totally satisfied when watching Netflix or playing video games on my PC. I just realized that I can save quite a few cables from my setup. Super happy!

Dec 1, 2023 at 6:33 PM Post #9,239 of 10,527
`The only issues I have with the iOS implementation is connection outside of my WifI network is only via the16bit 44.1kHz restricted AirPlay (unless I am missing something)

I have tried JPlay, Rigelian without any joy, however with my Android device all I need do is turn on my phones hotspot and connect Mojo/Poly to the hotspot and all features are available to me on the go especially when away from home.

I switched to an Android recently. I understand that Android does a better job than iOS hotspot mode, but the Sony DAP and Roon ARC is so much easier and not limited to 16/44.

Dec 2, 2023 at 4:24 AM Post #9,240 of 10,527
I’ve got a MacBook Pro and use my Poly with a 512GB* SD card. I pop it in the card reader I’ve got for the MacBook Pro and use the app Beyond Compare to check for new files I’ve bought and downloaded from Qobuz on my MacBook Pro SSD that aren’t on the Poly SD card and then it just copies them across. Pop back in the Poly and it’ll index and I’m ready to go.

*I’m about to buy a 1TB card as I’ve run out of space. This’ll work fine on Poly too.

Just wondering what the maximum capacity SSD card the MojoPoly can handle?

Anyone know?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back