Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Jul 6, 2023 at 7:58 PM Post #8,476 of 10,526
Has anyone had any issues with volume jumping with Mojo 2 on iOS or MacOS?

I've had a few occassions where i plug the mojo into my mac/iphone and it starts at green volume, I dial it all the way to the lowest setting. Then twenty seconds later it jumps right back to green.

Very scary stuff. I had this same issue with Mojo 1 and Apple products occasionally. Just wondering if anyone else noticed this madness? I really wish the Mojo wouldn't default to such a high volume. It really should default to minimum. On that note, does anyone know how to set it's default volume?
There's no thing like "default" volume on Mojo.
It still power up to the last setting.

Never had an issue with volume jump you've mentioned. :upside_down:

Jul 6, 2023 at 9:48 PM Post #8,477 of 10,526
I had more time to play around Mojo2 now. compared to my desktop combo Qutest/L30 II, Qutest still manages sound little bit smoother, yet with better treble and slightly more depth, but it's scary close. Replacing amps on Qutest (L30II to Luxman), it pushes a good notch further, but I would say it's maybe 15% Max better than mojo2 in technical realm using Utopia's. Different flavour yes, but technically quite close considering price differences

The other thing Mojo2 is not that sensitive to my noisy laptop. It's still better with Intona usb in chain, but differences are way smaller than with Mojo 1 which I actually did not enjoyed plugged directly into laptop.

I have many other portable dac/amps, but if someone values stage depth, good instrument placement M2 & M1 (with good source) is easily tier above in that category against any portable solution known for me.

Tried M2 with my Abacus active speakers, it works very good as a desktop DAC for them. The only problem is powering M2 for a desktop use. In my case it decreased SQ and gave me a slight electric noise once I plugged mojo2 to my iphone charger. Ifi Power x was better, but I still preferred M2 via battery
Did you try a power bank? I am using the power bank daily to feed my M2 desktop mode :D

Jul 7, 2023 at 5:30 AM Post #8,478 of 10,526
Has anyone had any issues with volume jumping with Mojo 2 on iOS or MacOS?

I've had a few occassions where i plug the mojo into my mac/iphone and it starts at green volume, I dial it all the way to the lowest setting. Then twenty seconds later it jumps right back to green.

Very scary stuff. I had this same issue with Mojo 1 and Apple products occasionally. Just wondering if anyone else noticed this madness? I really wish the Mojo wouldn't default to such a high volume. It really should default to minimum. On that note, does anyone know how to set it's default volume?
I don't think it's OS related thing as I use M2 with Apple products too. M2 keeps volume settings as it was set in last listening session. If you switch between headphones/IEM's, this could explain volume differences once you put something easier to drive.

As well our brain sensitivity to loudness varies throughout the day. My average daytime listening volume is above of how loud I listen in mornings/evenings.
Did you try a power bank? I am using the power bank daily to feed my M2 desktop mode :D

I haven't tried power bank, but it beats the purpose of desktop mode for me as now I have 2 batteries to worry about. I do have budget chinese LPS which is used for Qutest so will check how M2 behaves with it.

I guess there is no line level output for M2 as it's simply a DAC with analog output which is used to power up HP's. M1 had line out, but seems it was more as a additional function then separate amping

Jul 7, 2023 at 6:08 AM Post #8,479 of 10,526
I don't think it's OS related thing as I use M2 with Apple products too. M2 keeps volume settings as it was set in last listening session. If you switch between headphones/IEM's, this could explain volume differences once you put something easier to drive.

As well our brain sensitivity to loudness varies throughout the day. My average daytime listening volume is above of how loud I listen in mornings/evenings.

I haven't tried power bank, but it beats the purpose of desktop mode for me as now I have 2 batteries to worry about. I do have budget chinese LPS which is used for Qutest so will check how M2 behaves with it.

I guess there is no line level output for M2 as it's simply a DAC with analog output which is used to power up HP's. M1 had line out, but seems it was more as a additional function then separate amping
AFAIK, both M1 and M2 do not have a dedicated line-out because both do not have a dedicated amp section that needs to be bypassed, the line-out feature on M1 simply sets the output to a desired voltage for the line-out standard. On M2, you can set it manually, there is an instruction showing you what voltage level according to the volume color.

Jul 7, 2023 at 12:03 PM Post #8,481 of 10,526
Do you happen to have a link for the Nobunaga interconnect? I'm trying to do the same thing with my Mojo2 and W4.
It was made by my friend with $30, I also searched for some off-the-shelf cable that is compatible with Mojo2 and multifunctional 3.5 jacks like W2/W4 but there are not many...

Jul 7, 2023 at 12:50 PM Post #8,482 of 10,526
It was made by my friend with $30, I also searched for some off-the-shelf cable that is compatible with Mojo2 and multifunctional 3.5 jacks like W2/W4 but there are not many...
I'm finding it to be a difficult challenge. I'll keep hunting but let me know if you want to sell it 😁

Jul 7, 2023 at 1:05 PM Post #8,483 of 10,526
Just picked up this new Synthesis hybrid integrated amp a couple nights ago (solid state pre-amp and phono, tube power section with 4 EL84). Great synergy with the Mojo2 and the Focal Aria!!

Attachments

• mojo2 a.png
    mojo2 a.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • mojo2 b.jpg
    mojo2 b.jpg
    384 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7397.jpeg
    IMG_7397.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Jul 7, 2023 at 4:22 PM Post #8,485 of 10,526

Nah I literally watch the mojo and have seen the light's suddenly change from dim red to green before my eyes. It happened a few times with my mojo 1 too. It happens after I dial the volume down to minimum sometimes, like it resets a second time to the last listening volume. A friend of mine had his Mojo do it a few times with his iPhone too.

Jul 9, 2023 at 4:29 AM Post #8,486 of 10,526
Anyone having an issue with their Mojo 2 refusing to turn off?

If I listen for only a few minutes, it will turn off as intended.

But if I listen any longer, say 15 minutes or more, it will not turn off.

It will stay on until it runs out of juice.

Very weird. And probably not great for the longevity of the battery.

Suggestions?

Jul 9, 2023 at 6:02 AM Post #8,488 of 10,526

Suggestions?
email support@chordelectronics.co.uk and see what they propose.

Jul 9, 2023 at 7:17 AM Post #8,489 of 10,526
I’ve tried mojo 2 in speaker setup against Qutest. M2 sounds very good on it's own and at the start I thought these DAC's play in equal technical realm with just slightly different presentation, but when complex passages kicked in it was obvious that Qutest is step above M2.

M2 transients are more rounded, stage depth and small nuances is slightly less prominent than on Qutest. All of this translates in technically less capable sound which is noticeable for untrained ear as well, but worth to mention that differences are easier to hear through my speaker setup than via headphones.
The track by "Yusef Dayes - For My Ladies" there is a drum part at 3:57 which with Qutest sits further back but has more energy and is easier to fallow. M2 plays drums closer to listener, smoother and a bit less impactful.

"Yosi Horikawa - Bubbles" - I often use this track to test imaging and Qutest layers better with all these bubbles dropping on stage. My misses actually preferred M2 as it was "less demanding" presentation for her.

Synergy will play a part here as well, if you want a safer bet and have brighter speakers M2 is an amazing companion to fit speaker and headphones needs. I own Qutest for 5 years now, it's a DAC that tries to impress you which may come at the cost of not being as easy listen when you want your music to flow in the background. Qutest was put for sale few times, but I always removed the ad after hearing other DS DAC's in similar price which did not had the stage accuracy of Chord.

If I will decide to upgrade my speaker setup, next move will be in totally opposite direction as I'm eyeing Polish lampizator company. So far I'm able to keep myself sane as small improvements costs good chunk of $ even if you will look for an upgrade from M2

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2023 at 9:49 AM Post #8,490 of 10,526

Suggestions?
Did you want to mention the automatic turn-off feature? Or you just cannot hold the power button to turn off the device?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back