Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Jun 29, 2023 at 3:40 PM Post #8,446 of 10,526
Curious about your subjective and objective opinion, bc I'm on the fence too. :)
Still like the sound of the M1 with all my headphones or iems.
Gains by going from Mojo 1 to Mojo 2 depends a lot on the headphones used. Some had minor gains and some had major gains. Typically the headphones with cleaner bass (more defined, less distortion) and generally cleaner highs benefited the most. Mojo 1 is still good so if you are satisfied then you could just skip hearing the Mojo 2 and still be happy while saving some money.

I found the Mojo 2 to be quite a lot better for the headphones I use it with the most and much less sensitive to noise from the source, but it is still affected by dirty sources.

Jun 29, 2023 at 3:43 PM Post #8,447 of 10,526
Thanks for responding, cannot say I understand it all though.

The connection out of your phone is usb c. Is it possible to improve that initial digital signal? Audibly?

Had your phone had a spdif or coaxial out, I could understand.
Phone outputs can be quite noisy and the Mojo 2 doesn't have galvanic isolation on the USB input so the USB -> S/PDIF converter probably shields it from quite a bit of noise. Optical is far superior to USB for me when using it straight out of a regular computer, but a clean low noise USB source can sound just as good, if not better.

Jun 29, 2023 at 4:00 PM Post #8,448 of 10,526
Phone outputs can be quite noisy and the Mojo 2 doesn't have galvanic isolation on the USB input so the USB -> S/PDIF converter probably shields it from quite a bit of noise. Optical is far superior to USB for me when using it straight out of a regular computer, but a clean low noise USB source can sound just as good, if not better.
I might be lucky, but as well as using a dap, I have used a succession of cheap phones & never experienced this noise.

Jun 29, 2023 at 4:16 PM Post #8,449 of 10,526
I might be lucky, but as well as using a dap, I have used a succession of cheap phones & never experienced this noise.
You don't hear the noise as noise, but as increased jitter in the audio that is produced by the DAC (slightly harsher/more diffuse sound, less clean transients, worse soundstaging etc.). E.g. use a galvanic isolator from intona between a computer and the Mojo 2 on USB and the sound becomes better compared to direct, unless you have very clean (low noise) USB ports. Galvanic isolation is expensive though and would drive up the price of the Mojo 2, if there is even room for it in the Mojo 2 and often requires power from the source for the transceiver. M2 has some filtering that the M1 lacked which makes a significant difference when connecting it to a phone.

Jun 29, 2023 at 4:22 PM Post #8,450 of 10,526
You don't hear the noise as noise, but as increased jitter in the audio that is produced by the DAC (slightly harsher/more diffuse sound, less clean transients, worse soundstaging etc.). E.g. use a galvanic isolator from intona between a computer and the Mojo 2 on USB and the sound becomes better compared to direct, unless you have very clean (low noise) USB ports. Galvanic isolation is expensive though and would drive up the price of the Mojo 2, if there is even room for it in the Mojo 2 and often requires power from the source for the transceiver. M2 has some filtering that the M1 lacked which makes a significant difference when connecting it to a phone.
You may well be correct, which makes me even luckier as I have not experienced this jitter either 👍

Jun 29, 2023 at 9:37 PM Post #8,452 of 10,526
Jun 30, 2023 at 4:32 PM Post #8,453 of 10,526
Does anyone here use an SRC-DX with their Mojo2? Could you please PM me if you're willing to help me diagnose an issue I may have found with it and Mojo2?

Jul 1, 2023 at 7:23 PM Post #8,454 of 10,526
Is there anyone here using Mojo 2 with Unique Melody Mest Mkii? I am loving the combination myself but I would like to know different DSP/Eq settings people have experimented with thus far for favourable results. Currently I am using +1db on base shelf and +2db on 6khz with rest set to 0 and sounds pretty good to me

Jul 2, 2023 at 1:55 PM Post #8,455 of 10,526
Jul 2, 2023 at 5:33 PM Post #8,456 of 10,526
Is atmos not supported by the mojo 2? I just got mine today and the only option i get is sonic headphones in windows, driver is installed

I also cant get equilizerAPO to work with it at all. Any change has no affect on the sound, using peacegui

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2023 at 4:54 AM Post #8,457 of 10,526
Curious about your subjective and objective opinion, bc I'm on the fence too. :)
Still like the sound of the M1 with all my headphones or iems.
I had a short listening session yesterday and indeed Mojo2 is better then the OG one, edging it in separation, better treble. Not to the level of Qutest, but closer to it than the M1.

M1 though has that analog sound profile and plays nicer with vocal centric, some acoustic songs, but that's about it. My M1 goes to classifieds and I haven't even tried any EQ/Cross-feeds with M2

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-07-03 at 10.47.13.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-07-03 at 10.47.13.jpeg
    287 KB · Views: 0
Jul 4, 2023 at 10:37 AM Post #8,459 of 10,526
It is fine as a desktop system if you don't mind the controls. The Mojo 2 has the advantage that it doesn't ruin the battery when in constant desktop mode. On the OG Mojo the battery will constantly trickle charge unless the batter is disconnected, which would wear out the battery pretty fast. I find the Mojo 2 to be competitive competitive as a DAC at it's price point and slightly above and the headphone amp part is good as well. Not sure what you could buy as a desktop dac/amp at a similar price to the Mojo 2 that would actually be better, not just different.
thank you. what price are you comparing for Mojo 2? the price varies Country to Country.

Jul 4, 2023 at 2:54 PM Post #8,460 of 10,526
I am now running my Mojo2 into a Headamp GSX Mini via a Moon Silver Dragon 3.5 to stereo RCA wire. Out 5 pin balanced to my TH900. The results are great, but only when Mojo2 is set to double deep blue, a good bit above indigo unity gain. Anyone else finding this to be the case in this use case situation of running into an amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back