Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Feb 27, 2023 at 3:31 AM Post #7,021 of 10,529
Everything has to be in balance, i wouldn't upgrade my DAC to hugo unless i have a proper comparable setup in term of pricing and quality of equipment. My upgrade path usually speaker/headphone > amplifier > player/streamer > DAC > cables. There's no one right answer for the quest of a perfect setup, it's the journey that excites me, each upgrade is a journey by itself.

Feb 27, 2023 at 3:42 AM Post #7,023 of 10,529
I've said multiple times that I have struggled to hear any differences between DACs and I have done a lot of testing that lead me to that conclusion but recently things changed. I don't know what changed exactly since then but I'll explain now, I needed something portable and powerful enough for Sennheisers and just decided to pick up a Mojo2.

I have just been using the little Chord DAC casually without expecting any big improvements and I have been quite surprised, I know my headphones very well (HD650) I have had them for a long time so I know if anything changes with the sound when trying a new DAC. Nothing has really made me want to spend more money on an upgrade from everything ive tried so I settled on something cheap but using the Mojo2 has completely changed my opinion on converters.

The Chord has a layered, tighter and more nimble bass. Mids are open and clear. Highs are fast and detailed. The transients are really quite something and im just very impressed with the overall timing, I really did not expect to hear such improvements from something this size especially. Absolutely no need for additional amplification I actually think it sounds better directly from the Mojo2. The biggest thing that stood out to me is how enjoyable poor recordings are, I no longer feel like I need to skip albums due to the sound quality ruining the experience and that alone I feel like is worth the money.

Agree. I used to change my dac/amp system every month. I haven't change my Mojo 2 since I got it last November. There is nothing, that can do what Mojo 2 does both at portable and desktop realms, at the price point of 450 usd.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2023 at 7:32 AM Post #7,025 of 10,529
Cheers Alan,

My problem (it isn't really a problem, just the way it work out really) is that I have chased better sound through DACs and Amps for the last couple of years and after a bit of a learning curve I came to the conclusion that I simply don't hear any difference between them or such a slight difference that is simply not relevant or important to me.

I have done the "upgrading" already only to find that for me it wasn't actually a very significant upgrade at all.

I have sold off a bunch of gear, simplified my modest set up, and am putting money into headphones and IEM which do provide a very tangible reward for the expenditure. The return on investment is far more immediate, obvious and worthwhile so for me that is where the money is best spent.
Very sensible take and I share your experience of going up the gear ladder and finding that i) the differences are small to non-existent beyond a certain performance point (crap gear is still crap tho) and ii) the transducers make most of the difference.

Couple of caveats in my opinion:
- feature set can still be a big value add and justification for higher prices or owning different items at the same price point
- it's a hobby and sometimes it boils down to desire to own an item, not perfect rationality. I feel the pressure to be rational at work all the time and I see my hobbies as a way to get away from that. If I think it's cool and I want it that's usually justification enough.

Feb 27, 2023 at 8:00 AM Post #7,026 of 10,529
- it's a hobby and sometimes it boils down to desire to own an item, not perfect rationality. I feel the pressure to be rational at work all the time and I see my hobbies as a way to get away from that. If I think it's cool and I want it that's usually justification enough.
Perfect 👏👏👏

Feb 27, 2023 at 8:09 AM Post #7,027 of 10,529
Thanks for the answer.

I really believe that the upgrade from Mojo 1 to Hugo 2 is valid (I also have a Mojo 1 and, for me, Mojo 2 is an evolution over Mojo 1).

My question is regarding the upgrade from Mojo 2 to Hugo 2.

Price and portability would not be decisive (I use it exclusively as a desktop DAC).

Unfortunately here in Brazil it is practically impossible to test before buying (we actually have to import) and the difference in our currency (5 times smaller) in relation to the dollar or euro added to the Import Tax (60%) makes it very difficult to purchase a Chord product , so you need to have a certain level of certainty before making any decisions.

Throwing in another experience...

I bought the Mojo1 in 2018, then a used Hugo2 in 2020 and the Mojo 2 early 2022.
I loved the Mojo1, and was reluctant to spend the money on the H2, but when I had a chance to listen to a used H2 at a good price I took it and immediately heard the additional texture, extension, detail and speed, so I bought it.
When I bought the Mojo2 I kind of hoped it could replace the Hugo2, but to me the additional speed, texture, extension and stage of the H2 made it impossible to let go.
In the meantime I have equipped the Mojo2 with Poly and the Hugo 2 with 2Go.

Mojo2Poly is my portable kit, and it lets me enjoy music anywhere.
Hugo2Go is for home listening or the occasional bigger trip, and whenever possible I will use the H2G over the M2P.

The differences:
Bass is better defined and extended, has more texture and detail
Midrange has better detail and clarity
Treble is a bit better defined and extended, but less so than bass
Soundstage is a bit bigger, but more importantly separation and focus is much better, and there's a very peculiar quality that I seem to be able to hear the room reflections.
Mojo 2 has good transient attack (fast rise of notes) and clean decay, Hugo 2 is even a little faster but additionally has a lot of texture in the decay.

As such the Hugo 2 is livlier, more exciting and makes me want to listen more.

Feb 27, 2023 at 10:56 AM Post #7,028 of 10,529
Throwing in another experience...

I bought the Mojo1 in 2018, then a used Hugo2 in 2020 and the Mojo 2 early 2022.
I loved the Mojo1, and was reluctant to spend the money on the H2, but when I had a chance to listen to a used H2 at a good price I took it and immediately heard the additional texture, extension, detail and speed, so I bought it.
When I bought the Mojo2 I kind of hoped it could replace the Hugo2, but to me the additional speed, texture, extension and stage of the H2 made it impossible to let go.
In the meantime I have equipped the Mojo2 with Poly and the Hugo 2 with 2Go.

Mojo2Poly is my portable kit, and it lets me enjoy music anywhere.
Hugo2Go is for home listening or the occasional bigger trip, and whenever possible I will use the H2G over the M2P.

The differences:
Soundstage is a bit bigger, but more importantly separation and focus is much better, and there's a very peculiar quality that I seem to be able to hear the room reflections.
Mojo 2 has good transient attack (fast rise of notes) and clean decay, Hugo 2 is even a little faster but additionally has a lot of texture in the decay.

Many thanks for the reply.

Really encouraging review!

Feb 27, 2023 at 11:56 AM Post #7,029 of 10,529
The differences:

Exactly how I'd describe the differences myself.

Mar 1, 2023 at 11:47 AM Post #7,031 of 10,529
I have just received the mojo 2. So I'm plugging in my Ibasso dx160 via usb to usb cable. Whilst I can adjust all of the mojo's settings,the dx160 seems to have it's controls disabled? The players volume, equalisers, etc just don't do anything, even though they visually work. Any ideas?

Mar 1, 2023 at 1:55 PM Post #7,032 of 10,529
I have just received the mojo 2. So I'm plugging in my Ibasso dx160 via usb to usb cable. Whilst I can adjust all of the mojo's settings,the dx160 seems to have it's controls disabled? The players volume, equalisers, etc just don't do anything, even though they visually work. Any ideas?

Sounds like the DX160 is essentially going into a version of an “exclusive mode” where all the audio settings are turned over to the Mojo 2.

Perhaps that is simply the way they talk to each other over USB or perhaps there are options in the DX160 settings ?

Alternatively you could use the DX160 in SPDIF coaxial mode out from the 3.5mm port into the Mojo 2. Coaxial is a “dumb” connection and the DX160 will operate without even knowing if something is connected and the Mojo 2 will just see a signal with no clue where it came from.

Mar 1, 2023 at 1:56 PM Post #7,033 of 10,529
Mar 1, 2023 at 2:00 PM Post #7,034 of 10,529
Mar 1, 2023 at 2:09 PM Post #7,035 of 10,529
Is there an easy way to post that playlist here for those (me really) without Qobuz.

Is this supposed to show the mojo2's qualities in some way (interested), or just Rob Watt's fave music (not interested) ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back