Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Feb 20, 2023 at 7:09 AM Post #6,946 of 10,546
Yea what am I thinking??
What's funny is I've always thought Poly was overpriced and I'd never bother with it, given the many streaming options I have at home or on the go.
But the more I think of it the more I realise it does solve many small niggling issues in one go...
As much as I like my Poly and have never regretted spending the money on it, unfortunately it does not completely eliminate the RFI issue.
There's still occasionally a clicking crackling noise in the background, and at one occasion I even had a clicking noise with Poly in hotspot mode and the phone in Airplane mode with only the Wifi active...
No such issues with the Hugo 2 + 2 Go streaming module.

This is using an iPhone SE 1 Gen with MConnect Lite.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2023 at 7:09 AM Post #6,947 of 10,546
Yea what am I thinking??
What's funny is I've always thought Poly was overpriced and I'd never bother with it, given the many streaming options I have at home or on the go.
But the more I think of it the more I realise it does solve many small niggling issues in one go...
Stop thinking and buy one. :) Yes Poly isn't without its issues but one issue it 100% fixes for me at least, is the RF noise issue.

I get faultless playback either using GoFigure or M.A.L.P, playlist or Album mode. BubbleUPNP does sometimes randomly stop playing for me. This is on Android.

Feb 20, 2023 at 8:41 AM Post #6,948 of 10,546
You can try the Connect line from QED. They are short, inexpensive, very flexible and good quality.

I use this one to connect my Mojo OG to an Android phone, with no issues.
great to know about these, look decent and not overpriced

Feb 20, 2023 at 8:42 AM Post #6,949 of 10,546
Stop thinking and buy one. :) Yes Poly isn't without its issues but one issue it 100% fixes for me at least, is the RF noise issue.

I get faultless playback either using GoFigure or M.A.L.P, playlist or Album mode. BubbleUPNP does sometimes randomly stop playing for me. This is on Android.
I am on the lookout for a good deal, let's see how it plays out!

Feb 20, 2023 at 9:21 AM Post #6,950 of 10,546
I am on the lookout for a good deal, let's see how it plays out!
I got a new one a couple of weeks ago, the problem with a second hand Poly is what happens if you are just getting someone else's reject? Some Polys appear to have major H/W issues which is I suspect why some users have so many issues with them. My new one has been perfect, so far.

I would rather avoid the issues of second owner support with Chord.

Feb 20, 2023 at 10:02 AM Post #6,951 of 10,546

And it sounds much better than usb via iPhone

Feb 20, 2023 at 10:24 AM Post #6,952 of 10,546

I purchased my poly second hand and saved a few hundred dollars

Feb 20, 2023 at 10:33 AM Post #6,953 of 10,546
And it sounds much better than usb via iPhone
I does if you normally get all kinds of RF noise superimposed on Mojo(2)'s output I agree.
I purchased my poly second hand and saved a few hundred dollars
Good for you, I personally didn't want to take the risk, if it worked out great, if not I was in for a world of pain that I didn't want to risk to save a few hundred $/€/£ for.

Feb 20, 2023 at 2:36 PM Post #6,954 of 10,546
I got a new one a couple of weeks ago, the problem with a second hand Poly is what happens if you are just getting someone else's reject? Some Polys appear to have major H/W issues which is I suspect why some users have so many issues with them. My new one has been perfect, so far.

I would rather avoid the issues of second owner support with Chord.
I've been tempted to (re)pull the trigger on a Poly. Sold my original Poly/Mojo not for usability issues, but I had the Hugo 2/2go as well. And contrary to popular opinion, I did not find the Hugo 2 significantly better than the Mojo 2. It was maybe a bit better, but not worth the much larger form factor. I ended up selling that combo as well.

The poly using WiFi to stream via Roon is truly a wonderful device. The poly as a DAP substitute is not as nice. I've used MPD, MConnect, Glider, Gofigure with the playlists. None of those are as convenient as Roon ARC for me. Much of this could be solved by GoFigure being actually useful software. If they could create an MConnect or BubbleUPnP style interface, I'd jump back in immediately.

Feb 20, 2023 at 2:54 PM Post #6,955 of 10,546
I've been tempted to (re)pull the trigger on a Poly. Sold my original Poly/Mojo not for usability issues, but I had the Hugo 2/2go as well. And contrary to popular opinion, I did not find the Hugo 2 significantly better than the Mojo 2. It was maybe a bit better, but not worth the much larger form factor. I ended up selling that combo as well.

The poly using WiFi to stream via Roon is truly a wonderful device. The poly as a DAP substitute is not as nice. I've used MPD, MConnect, Glider, Gofigure with the playlists. None of those are as convenient as Roon ARC for me. Much of this could be solved by GoFigure being actually useful software. If they could create an MConnect or BubbleUPnP style interface, I'd jump back in immediately.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I guess every popular product here on Head-Fi has its issues and quirks, and Poly certainly does, why doesn't the perfect one size fits all product exist?

For me, as long as the issues aren't too significant I like the complex solutions, its just in my nature I suppose as a techie-nerd type. Anything that can bring out the best of my Chord DAC's Mojo 2 and Hugo 2 and offer a level of complexity that people will say What is that for, is a win-win for me. :)

My only regret is why did my first Mojo 2 have to burn out a set of my IEM's and frighten me off for a while.

Feb 20, 2023 at 3:59 PM Post #6,956 of 10,546

If I don't have Roon, it is worth it to have Poly?

Feb 20, 2023 at 4:37 PM Post #6,957 of 10,546
If I don't have Roon, it is worth it to have Poly?
In my opinion? No. If you decide to not use Roon, there are really good programs you can use to control the Poly that integrate Qobuz and Tidal. They actually are pretty good, but you're using your phone as essentially DAP front end to remote control the Poly. I'm not sure if these programs integrate Apple Music or Amazon Music yet. I sold my Poly a year ago.

The issue is the WiFi. GoFigure uses BT to control the poly, but quite frankly is crap software. You need a Wifi connection to use the really nice UPnP and DLNA software like MConnect. I loved MConnect. You can get workarounds (phone in hotspot mode, Poly in hotspot mode, etc...) but it is a labor of love and dedication. A DAP connected to Mojo 2 is so much easier. For $200 you can get a Hiby R3 Pro which is near the same width and height as the Mojo 2. It's got all you need right there on the DAP. That for me is a much easier solution for travel and mobility. I never found good MPD control software that gave the same experience as the UPnP versions.

Again, this is my personal opinion only. I haven't missed the poly or 2go (or 2yu for that matter). I can't say the sound quality of the poly was significantly better than optical to the Mojo 2. For $800 USD, I expected so much more from Chord. Go in with your eyes open on this one. You may absolutely love it. Believe me, I want to love what the poly could potentially be.

Feb 20, 2023 at 6:36 PM Post #6,958 of 10,546
In my opinion? No. If you decide to not use Roon, there are really good programs you can use to control the Poly that integrate Qobuz and Tidal. They actually are pretty good, but you're using your phone as essentially DAP front end to remote control the Poly. I'm not sure if these programs integrate Apple Music or Amazon Music yet. I sold my Poly a year ago.

The issue is the WiFi. GoFigure uses BT to control the poly, but quite frankly is crap software. You need a Wifi connection to use the really nice UPnP and DLNA software like MConnect. I loved MConnect. You can get workarounds (phone in hotspot mode, Poly in hotspot mode, etc...) but it is a labor of love and dedication. A DAP connected to Mojo 2 is so much easier. For $200 you can get a Hiby R3 Pro which is near the same width and height as the Mojo 2. It's got all you need right there on the DAP. That for me is a much easier solution for travel and mobility. I never found good MPD control software that gave the same experience as the UPnP versions.

Again, this is my personal opinion only. I haven't missed the poly or 2go (or 2yu for that matter). I can't say the sound quality of the poly was significantly better than optical to the Mojo 2. For $800 USD, I expected so much more from Chord. Go in with your eyes open on this one. You may absolutely love it. Believe me, I want to love what the poly could potentially be.
So if you're out and about without wifi but with 4/5G in your phone, you need to hotspot Poly to your phone to be able to use alternative apps to GoFigure?
Wouldn't you need to do the same for the DAP, or to these normally come with the ability to connect to a network (never owned a DAP)?

Feb 20, 2023 at 7:21 PM Post #6,959 of 10,546
So if you're out and about without wifi but with 4/5G in your phone, you need to hotspot Poly to your phone to be able to use alternative apps to GoFigure?
Wouldn't you need to do the same for the DAP, or to these normally come with the ability to connect to a network (never owned a DAP)?
Yes you need to hotspot In absence of Wi-Fi. Only GoFigure can access poly over BT. Everything else needs Wi-Fi. There is an MPD player on the poly can play the music off SD card, but you need to connect via Wi-Fi to control it. Your only non Wi-Fi solution is GoFigure. It is truly a terrible app if you have a library more than 10 albums (maybe I’m being silly, but you get the point).

Whereas a DAP has all the software built in. No Wi-Fi? No problem. You still can search the microSD for songs, compile and make playlists, ETC. And with the current crop of small DAPs with Android 11 and 12, you’ll have better options for managing your microSD music that destroys GoFigure. Bonus for using optical or coax instead of USB C if you’re worried about sound quality. Plus you get to use any streaming service native app when you are on Wi-Fi or connected to phone hotspot.
It’s just easier on DAP when “out and about”.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back