Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Feb 6, 2023 at 1:58 PM Post #6,722 of 10,527
It takes about 5 minutes to switch into desktop mode. Where are people getting 24 hours?
It may be different than Hugo 2 in that respect but nevertheless it needs to be fully charged first before it will enter desktop mode (the LED turns magenta). Some are confusing just normal charging with desktop mode.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2023 at 2:00 PM Post #6,723 of 10,527
It may be different than Hugo 2 in that respect but nevertheless it needs to be fully charged first before it will enter desktop mode (the LED turns magenta).
Yes, the first charge. After that if kept charged it takes 5 minutes. It doesn't take another 24 hours if you unplug it and plug it back in.

Feb 7, 2023 at 2:53 AM Post #6,724 of 10,527
Yes, the first charge. After that if kept charged it takes 5 minutes. It doesn't take another 24 hours if you unplug it and plug it back in.
As I’ve observed Intelligent Desktop mode… it isn’t very smart. I routinely plug in the Mojo2 at home and at work, but it always starts by recharging itself from 99%(guessing) to 100% before going into IDM. It would have been a lot more smart for IDM to default on if the battery charge is greater than 95%. Constantly topping up the battery to 100 is not good for its longevity.

I’m still baffled by my electrical interference causing white noise bursts, happened twice this weekend. Once when I unplugged a wall wort near by even though my iPhone and M2 were both on battery power, and again with the washing machine finished a spin cycle. Planning to replace my Apple dongle first.

Feb 7, 2023 at 3:25 AM Post #6,725 of 10,527
As I’ve observed Intelligent Desktop mode… it isn’t very smart. I routinely plug in the Mojo2 at home and at work, but it always starts by recharging itself from 99%(guessing) to 100% before going into IDM. It would have been a lot more smart for IDM to default on if the battery charge is greater than 95%. Constantly topping up the battery to 100 is not good for its longevity.

I’m still baffled by my electrical interference causing white noise bursts, happened twice this weekend. Once when I unplugged a wall wort near by even though my iPhone and M2 were both on battery power, and again with the washing machine finished a spin cycle. Planning to replace my Apple dongle first.
I have seen a lot of battery wear in various devices and my experience is that the main problem is elevated temperatures during charging, not charges above 80-90 percent.
Therefore, the main problem is not that the mojo 2 charges up to 100 percent each time before switching to desktop mode, but that in general the charging process still takes place in desktop mode (since there is no separate power circuit bypassing the battery!), and in these moments, increased temperature negatively affects the battery

Feb 7, 2023 at 7:20 AM Post #6,726 of 10,527
It would have been a lot more smart for IDM to default on if the battery charge is greater than 95%. Constantly topping up the battery to 100 is not good for its longevity.

Well, if it did that then you would never actually be able to give it a full charge and people would complain that they can’t get the full battery life out of it.

Feb 7, 2023 at 10:11 AM Post #6,727 of 10,527
With Mojo classic (and I believe on Mojo2):
- battery would charge to %92 and stop (IIRC). This was by design! so as to not shorten the battery life.
There are three thermal sensors. The battery was stuck to the top shell, and isolated from the electronics by means of a foam pad. The top shell is the coolest part of the device.
It was normal for the battery to retain most of the "playing time" ability, even after a good few years, a testament to the effectivity of the design.
Regarding Desktop mode, if the device is connected to a charger for 24 hours, it would bypass the battery, and work off the charger supply. This is now possible, because Mojo2 has better "smart" power management, controlled by the FPGA.
When in desktop mode, do not switch off the device! keep it on all the time.
Same goes for Hugo2.
Of course, all that heat management goes in the bin, if you encapsulate it in a case!

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2023 at 11:07 AM Post #6,728 of 10,527
strange people ... the instructions say that in the desktop mode, mojo 2 intelligently manages the battery charge and no more - no separate power scheme, Chord support officially answers that there is no separate power scheme in mojo 2, and the battery is always used, smart mode the desktop only charges it intellectually ... but no - people continue to believe in fairy tales about 24 hours and bypassing the battery ... no comment

Feb 7, 2023 at 11:08 AM Post #6,729 of 10,527
strange people ... the instructions say that in the desktop mode, mojo 2 intelligently manages the battery charge and no more - no separate power scheme, Chord support officially answers that there is no separate power scheme in mojo 2, and the battery is always used, smart mode the desktop only charges it intellectually ... but no - people continue to believe in fairy tales about 24 hours and bypassing the battery ... no comment
Rob Watts, the actual designer of the Mojo 2, says desktop mode does bypass the battery. I’m inclined to believe him.

It’s like the first Mojo where you could actually use it without the battery even installed, plugged into power.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2023 at 11:09 AM Post #6,730 of 10,527
Are you sure it’s actually in desktop mode after only five minutes? Does your bottom LED turn purple or only white? If only white, that’s not desktop mode, that just means fully charged.

The LED will turn purple/magenta when it enters desktop mode.

Feb 7, 2023 at 11:11 AM Post #6,732 of 10,527
Are you sure it’s actually in desktop mode after only five minutes? Does your bottom LED turn purple or only white? If only white, that’s not desktop mode, that just means fully charged.

The LED will turn purple/magenta when it enters desktop mode.
I have already written to you many times that the LED turns purple for me - as it is written in the instructions

Feb 7, 2023 at 11:14 AM Post #6,733 of 10,527
you just thought of his answer as you wanted, this was not in his answer, he only said that it makes no sense to remove the battery

Nope, he says it pretty clearly:

No need to remove a failed battery - the intelligent charger will recognise a fault (shorted battery) and can cope with a battery at the end of it's life too. Both cases it will disconnect the battery and you can run it from the USB charger as it will go into desktop mode.

This means in desktop mode, the battery is in fact disconnected.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2023 at 11:17 AM Post #6,734 of 10,527
I have already written to you many times that the LED turns purple for me - as it is written in the instructions
What you and others think is purple may actually be white since white looks sorta purplish. Desktop mode it will be a pure purple.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back