Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Aug 30, 2022 at 2:19 PM Post #5,341 of 10,554
Thank you just viewed it. Well done and really like the comparison between IDSD Signature.

One thing that wasn’t clear to me is did you compare with 4.4 balanced into Signature?

The reason I ask is my previously owned IDSD Diablo sounded allot better [punchier and more kick] via 4.4balanced to Focal Clear MG compared to Diablo unbalanced headphone output.
micro iDSD Signature does not have a true balanced amp so there is minimal to no difference in sound quality between the 6.35 & 4.4 Outputs. Also no power difference between the two outputs.

Aug 30, 2022 at 3:04 PM Post #5,342 of 10,554
micro iDSD Signature does not have a true balanced amp so there is minimal to no difference in sound quality between the 6.35 & 4.4 Outputs. Also no power difference between the two outputs.
OK, apologies as I assumed it did like my previously owned Diablo. The Diablo produced much much better sound quality performance via 4.4 to my Focal Clear MG then its non balanced outputs.

I don't know the science behind it but listening it was very obviously better.

but its not relevant here as you said the signature is not true balanced. got it.

I wish there was a comparison between Mojo 2 vs Diablo on head. cannot find such comparison..

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2022 at 3:41 PM Post #5,343 of 10,554
Thank you just viewed it. Well done and really like the comparison between IDSD Signature.

One thing that wasn’t clear to me is did you compare with 4.4 balanced into Signature?

The reason I ask is my previously owned IDSD Diablo sounded allot better [punchier and more kick] via 4.4balanced to Focal Clear MG compared to Diablo unbalanced headphone output.
As an other member suggested, it’s not true balanced and the 4.4’s just there for convenience. Having said that, when I had both Diablo and signature at the same time - I ended up returning Diablo and keeping the signature. The Diablo had much more power but I preferred the sound out of the signature. Diablo was also too powerful for my Focal Stellia’s so I wasn’t able to listen at lower volume. I feel Mojo blows them both away though. Size, features, build, and sound quality.

Chibs

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2022 at 3:53 PM Post #5,344 of 10,554
I wish there was a comparison between Mojo 2 vs Diablo on head. cannot find such comparison.
@Soundizer honestly speaking I think there is a good reasons for it as such comparison would be pointless considering Mojo 2 DSP and feature set. In that regard it would be closer to micro iDSD Signature but considering the fact that Signature still has a channel imbalance on low volumes (something not possible with both Mojo and Mojo 2) such comparison wouldn't be fair for both products IMHO.

Aug 30, 2022 at 4:05 PM Post #5,345 of 10,554
@Soundizer honestly speaking I think there is a good reasons for it as such comparison would be pointless considering Mojo 2 DSP and feature set. In that regard it would be closer to micro iDSD Signature but considering the fact that Signature still has a channel imbalance on low volumes (something not possible with both Mojo and Mojo 2) such comparison wouldn't be fair for both products IMHO.
Not sure I understand. Is it pointless because you think Diablo is a far better performance product?

Aug 30, 2022 at 4:15 PM Post #5,346 of 10,554
Not sure I understand. Is it pointless because you think Diablo is a far better performance product?
@Soundizer no, I think it is pointless since with Mojo 2 DSP you can have different sound signature, wile with Diablo you either have one you love or one you dislike. Take a look at ifi own page that explains my point regarding Signature vs Diablo: https://ifi-audio.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/iFi_Diablo_iDSDSignature_Chart_06-02.png

1661890246180.png

So while theoretically Signature would be better suited for such test/comparison with Mojo 2 it has flaws that Mojo 2 does not. Mojo 2 with its feature set is closer to "tuner" than "purist" in ifi nomenclature. In Signature both Xbass and 3D are done in analog part, so it can not be treated as a direct competitor to Mojo 2 DSP, especially comparing it measurements.

Aug 30, 2022 at 4:56 PM Post #5,347 of 10,554
when I had both Diablo and signature at the same time - I ended up returning Diablo and keeping the signature
I preferred the Signature over Diablo & Gryphon too. I like the older iFi sound from Zen stack, micro iDSD Black/Sig... over the newer sound signature they are going for with their latest products.

For me, your comparision between Sig & Mojo 2 is what sold me on getting the Mojo 2.

Aug 30, 2022 at 5:07 PM Post #5,348 of 10,554
I preferred the Signature over Diablo & Gryphon too. I like the older iFi sound from Zen stack, micro iDSD Black/Sig... over the newer sound signature they are going for with their latest products.

For me, your comparision between Sig & Mojo 2 is what sold me on getting the Mojo 2.
Glad I could help!
:beerchug:

Aug 31, 2022 at 8:43 AM Post #5,350 of 10,554
Hi all
I'd like to tell you of my experience with the Mojo 2.
I bought it a week ago on the hope it would be a significant upgrade from my Xduoo XD05 plus. First impressions were great, not as good as my desktop dac/amp (to be expected), but really, really good for a small portable device. I listen to hi res files through media monkey on my android phone. After a while I noticed a faint crackle/pop noise as though the files were ripped from Vinyl, which upon replying the same track occurred at different points. These noises only happen on the mojo, through any source (phone or laptop) and through all 3 of my available usb cables.
Unfortunately once I heard this I couldn't "unhear" and it irritated the hell outta me. Today I returned the mojo to the shop for a refund.

I'm not sure how my experience aligns with the "white noise" issue people have described in previous posts.

On the plus side, the past week has re-ignited my passion for music. I'm definitely due an upgrade from the Xduoo, may have a look at the gryphon, or new Topping. If Chord were to release a Mojo 2.1 one day, with current issues addressed (and even a usb c charging port) it would almost certainly be too tempting for me to pass on.

Andy
The vinyl popping sound does not sound like the white noise issue nor the RFI sound. More like Mojo2 is not getting bit perfect signal. Can you describe your desktop chain and the way you are also feeding Mojo2? I’d try to make sure it is a bit perfect signal with no DSP and try both USB in addition to optical.

Aug 31, 2022 at 12:18 PM Post #5,351 of 10,554
The vinyl popping sound does not sound like the white noise issue nor the RFI sound. More like Mojo2 is not getting bit perfect signal. Can you describe your desktop chain and the way you are also feeding Mojo2? I’d try to make sure it is a bit perfect signal with no DSP and try both USB in addition to optical.
The mojo has been returned so won't be able to carry out additional tests.
My main use was through a samsung android phone using the following cable https://xduoo.net/product/type-c-to-type-c-cable/
The issue only seemed to occur with hi res files, ie 24/96 or 24/192.

Aug 31, 2022 at 2:52 PM Post #5,352 of 10,554
The mojo has been returned so won't be able to carry out additional tests.
My main use was through a samsung android phone using the following cable https://xduoo.net/product/type-c-to-type-c-cable/
The issue only seemed to occur with hi res files, ie 24/96 or 24/192.
A bit hasty to return the Mojo 2 IMHO.
The Mojo1 could suffer similar pinprick sounds, but some were curable by:
  • adding a ferrite choke to usb cables
  • not trying to stream hires files that the phone cannot cope with, because the Mojo can upscale more accurately
  • using the Chord drivers - if there is a data error/corruption then the driver requests that a new data packet is sent
  • using the optical inputs - removes all the pinprick noise issues.
Return on experience from the many Mojo 1 owners. :relaxed:

Aug 31, 2022 at 3:34 PM Post #5,353 of 10,554
A bit hasty to return the Mojo 2 IMHO.
The Mojo1 could suffer similar pinprick sounds, but some were curable by:
  • adding a ferrite choke to usb cables
  • not trying to stream hires files that the phone cannot cope with, because the Mojo can upscale more accurately
  • using the Chord drivers - if there is a data error/corruption then the driver requests that a new data packet is sent
  • using the optical inputs - removes all the pinprick noise issues.
Return on experience from the many Mojo 1 owners. :relaxed:

I may repurchase at a later date. Thanks for the tip re ferrite choke.

Aug 31, 2022 at 5:07 PM Post #5,354 of 10,554
Question,

Think Mojo2 has problems or starts to stress, powering headphones at 250 ohms ?

its said, the Mojo 2 outputs 90mW @ 300 ohms ( to both headphone jacks on the device )

bellow states, 'nominal power handling capacity is 200mW (I'm thinking that's the 1770s power need, with out factoring volume ? oh god I have gone cross eyed )

Looking at :

Beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pro 250 ohms.​

Technical Specs

Transducer type Dynamic

Operating principle Closed

Frequency response 5 – 40,000 Hz

Nominal impedance 250 Ω

Nominal SPL 102 dB SPL (1 mW / 500 Hz)

Max. SPL 125 dB SPL (200 mW / 500 Hz)

T.H.D. < 0.05% (1 mW / 500 Hz)

Nominal power handling capacity 200 mW

Sound coupling to the ear Circumaural

Ambient noise attenuation Velours: approx. 18 dBA Leatherette: approx. 21 dBA

Nominal headband pressure Approx. 7.2 N

Weight (without cable) 388 g

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2022 at 9:37 PM Post #5,355 of 10,554
Question,

Think Mojo2 has problems or starts to stress, powering headphones at 250 ohms ?

its said, the Mojo 2 outputs 90mW @ 300 ohms ( to both headphone jacks on the device )

bellow states, 'nominal power handling capacity is 200mW (I'm thinking that's the 1770s power need, with out factoring volume ? oh god I have gone cross eyed )

Looking at :

Beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pro 250 ohms.​

Technical Specs

Transducer type Dynamic

Operating principle Closed

Frequency response 5 – 40,000 Hz

Nominal impedance 250 Ω

Nominal SPL 102 dB SPL (1 mW / 500 Hz)

Max. SPL 125 dB SPL (200 mW / 500 Hz)

T.H.D. < 0.05% (1 mW / 500 Hz)

Nominal power handling capacity 200 mW

Sound coupling to the ear Circumaural

Ambient noise attenuation Velours: approx. 18 dBA Leatherette: approx. 21 dBA

Nominal headband pressure Approx. 7.2 N

Weight (without cable) 388 g
Don't worry.
The Mojo will power these easily.

The 1770 is quite sensitive, which is the more important spec here.
200mW is the max power handling with ear bleeding volume level.

Mojo is capable to power my VO ( 300ohm/ 96 db 1mW) without effort (green to light blue). :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back