Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Jun 3, 2022 at 9:59 AM Post #4,502 of 10,546
Jun 3, 2022 at 10:16 AM Post #4,503 of 10,546
As this dac has two 3.5mm jack outs, can they both be used as two line outs, one going to my stereo amplifier, and one to my head phone amp?

I've read that this DAC doesn't have a fixed line out like the Mojo 1, so how would this work?

Jun 3, 2022 at 10:23 AM Post #4,504 of 10,546
As this dac has two 3.5mm jack outs, can they both be used as two line outs, one going to my stereo amplifier, and one to my head phone amp?

I've read that this DAC doesn't have a fixed line out like the Mojo 1, so how would this work?
I have just tested this connecting my LCD2C and HD6XX, there is no volume drop when the second headphone is connected. So, you can use both as line outs. There is no dedicated line out on Mojo 2, as I posted a few posts back you need to raise the volume on Mojo 2 to 2 volts (color Indigo).

Jun 3, 2022 at 12:00 PM Post #4,505 of 10,546
I have just tested this connecting my LCD2C and HD6XX, there is no volume drop when the second headphone is connected. So, you can use both as line outs. There is no dedicated line out on Mojo 2, as I posted a few posts back you need to raise the volume on Mojo 2 to 2 volts (color Indigo).
Specifically Indigo in the High volume range.

Jun 3, 2022 at 4:11 PM Post #4,506 of 10,546
Slide13.jpeg

Jun 3, 2022 at 7:29 PM Post #4,507 of 10,546
I have two amps including a LP G109 which has two headphone jacks that can be run simultaneously, so technically using mojo2 I could have three headphones running at the same time... but only one head. What a shame :) Unless I can get two friends to play but that may also prove challenging!

Jun 4, 2022 at 12:16 AM Post #4,508 of 10,546
Have been doing some A/B testing with my Focal Clear and IER-Z1R between the Mojo 2 and my topping D90SE/A90 stack.

Focal Clear:
  • More ‘musical’ on the Mojo 2
  • Soundstage is slightly larger on Mojo 2 (not that the Clear has a wide soundstage)
  • Drums sound more realistic on the Mojo 2
  • Mojo 2 appears to be slightly more sibilant
  • Topping stack (obviously) has a lot more headroom, but both drive them well. Topping stack is a little more detailed/clean sounding
Overall very subtle differences when you analyse them side by side but I enjoy the Mojo 2 more, it just sounds like I’m listening to the music, rather than listening to the music through something if that makes any sense lol.

IER-Z1R:
  • An immediate reminder that these are better than the Clears in every way but comfort when I popped them in :p
  • Pretty magical pairing with the Mojo 2, beautiful, lush, warm sound. Plenty of detail but has a very natural sound, sibilance detected on the Clear has disappeared. I really love drums and they sound truly amazing through this pairing.
  • Topping stack has more detail, sounds more polished, but like with the Clears loses a little bit of the enjoyment factor. Drums don’t sound as good, less real (the notes don’t seem to last as long/don’t have the same feel to them).
To sum it up quickly, the topping stack is clinical, the Mojo 2 is musical. Both good in their own ways depending on what you enjoy but I’ll chose the Mojo 2 in most cases. When comparing the Mojo 2 to my Sony TA-ZH1ES I find them to be quite similar, both have been created with the enjoyment of listening to music as their primary purpose.

Jun 4, 2022 at 1:52 AM Post #4,509 of 10,546
Have been doing some A/B testing with my Focal Clear and IER-Z1R between the Mojo 2 and my topping D90SE/A90 stack.

Focal Clear:
  • More ‘musical’ on the Mojo 2
  • Soundstage is slightly larger on Mojo 2 (not that the Clear has a wide soundstage)
  • Drums sound more realistic on the Mojo 2
  • Mojo 2 appears to be slightly more sibilant
  • Topping stack (obviously) has a lot more headroom, but both drive them well. Topping stack is a little more detailed/clean sounding
Overall very subtle differences when you analyse them side by side but I enjoy the Mojo 2 more, it just sounds like I’m listening to the music, rather than listening to the music through something if that makes any sense lol.

IER-Z1R:
  • An immediate reminder that these are better than the Clears in every way but comfort when I popped them in :p
  • Pretty magical pairing with the Mojo 2, beautiful, lush, warm sound. Plenty of detail but has a very natural sound, sibilance detected on the Clear has disappeared. I really love drums and they sound truly amazing through this pairing.
  • Topping stack has more detail, sounds more polished, but like with the Clears loses a little bit of the enjoyment factor. Drums don’t sound as good, less real (the notes don’t seem to last as long/don’t have the same feel to them).
To sum it up quickly, the topping stack is clinical, the Mojo 2 is musical. Both good in their own ways depending on what you enjoy but I’ll chose the Mojo 2 in most cases. When comparing the Mojo 2 to my Sony TA-ZH1ES I find them to be quite similar, both have been created with the enjoyment of listening to music as their primary purpose.
Which is better ultimately TA-ZH1ES or Mojo 2 when comparing sound quality

Jun 4, 2022 at 3:38 AM Post #4,510 of 10,546
it just sounds like I’m listening to the music, rather than listening to the music through something if that makes any sense lol.

That sums up the Mojo2 for me.

I have also suffered a number of ghost encounters with the Mojo2. I hear something off to the side and turn my head and there is no one there. I then realise it was someone in the audience coming through the headphones. This happens most for me with open back phones (Grado RS1i) as I’m used to being able to hear people sneaking up on me 😀

Jun 4, 2022 at 7:35 AM Post #4,511 of 10,546
Which is better ultimately TA-ZH1ES or Mojo 2 when comparing sound quality
The TA-ZH1ES for my ears, but the Mojo 2 is very close. Mojo 2 will get more use from me as I can use it everywhere, the Tazzy is generally used daily but only in one particular chair for an album or two lol.

Jun 4, 2022 at 9:21 AM Post #4,513 of 10,546
And have you tried the mojo 2/A90 vs D90SE/A90?
That’s next, just need to get a 3.5mm to RCA. Will grab one tomorrow :)

Jun 4, 2022 at 9:50 AM Post #4,514 of 10,546
Specifically Indigo in the High volume range.

I actually got a response from Chord today regarding my question, they recommend 3v, maybe because I'm connecting it to two devices?

"Dear Sir, thanks for your email,
Yes you can, this will work fine. Attached is the information for setting a 3v level equivalent to the original Mojo line out.
All the best"

"To attain a 3v output, the customer needs to start with their Mojo2 as pictured below.

chrome_YeHa8Qrmbq.png

This is the first setting of the ‘upper’ volume range. This is identified by a illuminated mode light on the left, but the volume + and - lights are extinguished.

Now you will need to press the volume + button EXACTLY 41 times. The result is showing in the second picture, two BLUE volume buttons."

chrome_fXmsU9QlTs.png

So based off that information this sounds like a perfect DAC for those that want to use two outputs, for example in my case one output going to headphone amp and one output going to integrated stereo amp.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2022 at 6:17 PM Post #4,515 of 10,546
Anybody else using HQPlayer with Mojo 2? I find this to be an absolutely remarkable combination, given that Mojo can decode PCM 768khz upsampled files.

Truly revelatory sound for me.

Unfortunately, the user experience of HQPlayer is garbage, but I found a workaround that allows me to use my preferred player on Windows, MusicBee, to stream to HQPlayer, which then outputs to the Mojo.

Highly recommend giving HQPlayer a listen. And thanks again to @GoldenOne for sharing your HQPlayer settings in another thread. It would've taken me a lifetime to figure out how to set it up otherwise.

Now if I could only figure out how to route Amazon HD Music to HQPlayer, I'd be all set.
May I ask to share the link to HQPlayer-Mojo settings. I use this through Roon and is the best experience I ever had.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back