Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Apr 26, 2022 at 8:07 PM Post #4,006 of 11,005
With my 2020 LCD-XC, I find this profile pleasing, though it’s not ideal.
20 Hz: +2
125 Hz: +3
3 kHz: +3
20 kHz: +1

Apr 26, 2022 at 9:04 PM Post #4,007 of 11,005
I think the crossfeed is dependent on the recording. Some songs it sounds good and natural, from a more circular zone around the head to become a more oval shaped soundstage. However for some songs it sounds as if the instruments (drums, guitar) are nearer to me than the vocal, and the vocalist is behind the band instruments. For some songs the crossfeed (edited) made it sounds funky (goes up higher above the head than it should, i.e. distinct left and right near mic recordings). The effect is definitely there and is somewhat natural sounding, with an artificial soundstage flair and dependent on a case by case basis based on the track.

It sounds better when the music is not based on a single singer/instrument in the middle. (Ochestra, jazz, ambient)

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2022 at 11:21 PM Post #4,008 of 11,005
Sorry for the late answer. I could activate the Exclusive mode and didn't experience the white noise after that. I guess it's related to interference.
I had an interesting experience this evening using QoBuz. Plugged in the USB-C connection and started playing from QoBuz on my MacBook Pro and there was lots of white noise/distortion. I unplugged the USB-C and plugged it back in and it was then completely clear. There might be some odd start up condition that results in a noisy connection. If it does it again I'll raise it with Chord.

Apr 27, 2022 at 2:45 AM Post #4,010 of 11,005
I had an interesting experience this evening using QoBuz. Plugged in the USB-C connection and started playing from QoBuz on my MacBook Pro and there was lots of white noise/distortion. I unplugged the USB-C and plugged it back in and it was then completely clear. There might be some odd start up condition that results in a noisy connection. If it does it again I'll raise it with Chord.
Had the same thing happening. In my case I had hadn't fully plugged in the USB plug, it needed just a little push.

Apr 27, 2022 at 10:15 AM Post #4,015 of 11,005
I completely agree and your other posts mirror my thoughts exactly.
Here's some update.

I told my UK friend that I think Mojo 2 sound super flat for some reason. He previously had Mojo 1 and he didn't believe me when I told him this. So he bought Mojo 2 recently to test it out (since it's cheaper in UK).

This is his impression:

"you're absolutely right lol
Mojo 1 did not sound like this
damn
what did they do?
at least without EQ and crossfeed, its flat as ****
and I think EQ does more than crossfeed"

"granted, resolution and microdynamics are a lot better than Mojo 1
but I think tonality, spatial recreation and timbre suffer a lot"

So this makes 3 of us LOL. Again not trying to talk down on Mojo 2, for those of you out there with Mojo 2 sounding amazing, that's great! I just honestly wonder what might cause this different impression.

I told him to test 300 ohm headphone to see if it makes any difference. My guess is that maybe...... just maybe......... Mojo 2 need to be in higher volume level to sing???? I don't know. I only had 24 ohm and 16 ohm headphone so I was using rather low volume levels.

I also only test USB, my friend has optical to test later.

We'll see.......

Oh and he think I'll probably like Mojo 1, now I need to find a way to hack the battery to make it desktop unit LOL. I keep reading different opinion on the "unplug battery" approach. Some suggest we need to hook up to a 7.4v power supply. But some say with USB power it sound exactly the same, so I don't know......

EDIT: On a side note, does anyone have any experience with iFi iDSD Nano Black Label vs Mojo 1, how far behind is the Nano Black Label? I was thinking at least the Nano I don't need to hack the battery, it can natively power using USB.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2022 at 10:46 AM Post #4,017 of 11,005
Then please stop trying to explain why you don't like it over and over again
Sorry just trying to educate future buyers...... kind of like everyone else loves this but there is a very small chance you "might" run into this. Similar to the white noise issue it's like most people are fine but you "might" run into this.

Again you might have zero issue and love it, but just something to be aware of.

I thought that's the point of having discussion forum no?

But fair enough I won't bring it up again.

Apr 27, 2022 at 11:00 AM Post #4,018 of 11,005
Sorry just trying to educate future buyers...... kind of like everyone else loves this but there is a very small chance you "might" run into this. Similar to the white noise issue it's like most people are fine but you "might" run into this.

Again you might have zero issue and love it, but just something to be aware of.

I thought that's the point of having discussion forum no?

But fair enough I won't bring it up again.
bring it up yes, over running the thread with it is different.

Mojo2 is different than Mojo in more than one aspect. Chord did what they felt would further the concept without cannibalizing sales from the other product lines.
Are there head scratching choices made? Sure thing, but given the desire to keep Poly relevant while taking Mojo a step further couldn't have been an easy venture and compromises were made to accommodate that requirement

Apr 27, 2022 at 11:16 AM Post #4,019 of 11,005
bring it up yes, over running the thread with it is different.
This yes I accept it's my bad, my apologies.
Mojo2 is different than Mojo in more than one aspect. Chord did what they felt would further the concept without cannibalizing sales from the other product lines.
Are there head scratching choices made? Sure thing, but given the desire to keep Poly relevant while taking Mojo a step further couldn't have been an easy venture and compromises were made to accommodate that requirement
I don't know why you brought this up since I never complained about Poly or the whole USB C thing, which I'm totally ok with.

I guess I was just more surprised that Mojo 2 is more "different" than Mojo 1 rather than "direct upgrade" from what I've read everywhere. My friend recommended the unit based on his great experience with Mojo 1, which he expected the Mojo 2 to be even better.

So maybe our expectation was different.

Anyway to not further derail the thread I'll stop comment on this.

Apr 27, 2022 at 11:29 AM Post #4,020 of 11,005
This yes I accept it's my bad, my apologies.

I don't know why you brought this up since I never complained about Poly or the whole USB C thing, which I'm totally ok with.

I guess I was just more surprised that Mojo 2 is more "different" than Mojo 1 rather than "direct upgrade" from what I've read everywhere. My friend recommended the unit based on his great experience with Mojo 1, which he expected the Mojo 2 to be even better.

So maybe our expectation was different.

Anyway to not further derail the thread I'll stop comment on this.
My opinion is that Mojo 2 IS a direct upgrade in sound quality, even without the DSP. Since M2 is more transparent, more coherent, better textures and imaging, etc. it is a more revealing device, and will reveal the effects of components upstream. i.e.what cable is being used? What is the transport? In my system M2 is clearly better, OG's bass/mid bass is smoothed over/lacking in detail compared with M2, and due to this doesn't have the M2's overall coherence and precision. The OG is still a very nice listen with really good tonal balance and weight, but the Mojo 2 in my opinion has obviously better sq and in no way is the OG better sounding, OG is still a fine dac but is showing its age by comparison.

I still own and regularly use OG!

To those that say that M2 is not a big and important step up in listening satisfaction and performance, what are you using to connect it with and to what??????

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back