Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Feb 15, 2022 at 1:47 AM Post #2,582 of 10,527
Apologies if this is already been posted, just jumping in. This is the best review I've read about the Mojo 2 so far, I especially like his personal way of describing the sound, and some of the features he mentioned same quite interesting like the 3 imaging modes. Check it out:
https://www.digitaltrends.com/headphone-reviews/chord-mojo-2-review/

Feb 15, 2022 at 2:06 AM Post #2,583 of 10,527
Not terrible but that looks like optical and doesn’t look like an iPhone. Is that just shrink wrap? I’m looking for a lightning to microusb/c solution. Ideally it would be right angle or even “u” connectors.
EB58C2C9-9993-4D05-99F4-476AAB59E639.jpeg

I have previously used these (before switching to poly). It takes the audio signal as most do not. Then you just need usbc to micro. If you’re in England I’ve an unopened one kicking about

Feb 15, 2022 at 2:06 AM Post #2,584 of 10,527
Apologies if this is already been posted, just jumping in. This is the best review I've read about the Mojo 2 so far, I especially like his personal way of describing the sound, and some of the features he mentioned same quite interesting like the 3 imaging modes. Check it out:
Nice review.

The comment that the iFi I DSD doesn’t have enough power for the Focal Stella is, of course, rubbish. Very misleading to say so as it just perpetuates the myths and confusion between good design and power used. That and marking ‘no MQA‘ as a con are the two things that i would strongly disagree with.

Feb 15, 2022 at 2:14 AM Post #2,585 of 10,527
Another company ad disguised as "review" - hard pass.
"One person was genuinely moved to tears, underlining the power of the Mojo 2" - what kind of garbage review is this?

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2022 at 3:29 AM Post #2,586 of 10,527
"One person was genuinely moved to tears, underlining the power of the Mojo 2" - what kind of garbage review is this?
He also states that he is not an audiophile. Some reviewers only have emotional adjectives to explain the visceral feeling they get from sound, which is a favorite style of mine, as long as it's also evened out with some sort of technical point of reference. Makes it better than the traditional cold, encyclopedic detailed scientific review style. I for one want to try anything that's said to move someone to tears.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2022 at 3:46 AM Post #2,587 of 10,527
He also states that he is not an audiophile. Some reviewers only have emotional adjectives to explain the visceral feeling they get from sound, which is a favorite style of mine, as long as it's also evened out with some sort of technical point of reference. Makes it better than the traditional cold, encyclopedic detailed scientific review style. I for one want to try anything that's said to move someone to tears.

It's not a paid shill review. Look at the criticism to praise balance. He offers enough reasons that may talk some out of buying it while addressing the music with emotional weight that may inspire others to purchase.

Feb 15, 2022 at 3:57 AM Post #2,588 of 10,527
Oh sure, its the DAC, not the artist causing an emotional experience. Maybe live artists should start popping a mojo before the speakers in the stage chain so people have an emotional response

Feb 15, 2022 at 4:33 AM Post #2,589 of 10,527
I mean the mojo is great and all (I love my mojo 1) but anyone who says that its the dac thats the most important is quite a big liar... the recording itself (the artist, the song and their equipment and mastering) is what matters most, only then does the listeners system come in play lol

Feb 15, 2022 at 4:39 AM Post #2,590 of 10,527
Ordered one :) first model is what got me in to the hobby

Feb 15, 2022 at 4:56 AM Post #2,591 of 10,527
Not terrible but that looks like optical and doesn’t look like an iPhone. Is that just shrink wrap? I’m looking for a lightning to microusb/c solution. Ideally it would be right angle or even “u” connectors.
The ddHifi adapter and cables all work perfectly.
Also Hidiz lightning to usbc adapter.
Fiio usbc to usbc cable.

I just Velcro the Mojo 2 on a spare iPhone case.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Feb 15, 2022 at 5:03 AM Post #2,592 of 10,527
@DecentLevi thank you for posting it. I find it odd, since at least for me the DSP/EQ settings looked like complex to handle when I've first read about it but now using it daily I must say it is so easy. You definitively need a manual on first try, but than it becomes so natural.

Another thing that I completely disagree and disregard any review is when reviewer points out lack of MQA as a con. I could understand it if the review would be posted on MQA supporting site or on Tidal blog for example - for such parties from income perspective it is a drawback indeed, but not for potentials user, especially one who understand a bit about Chord design.

Last but not least I find it odd, to compare with ifi idsd nano, where the clear competitor to original Mojo has been ifi micro idsd black label and now it would be probably Signature, Diablo and Gryphon.

Feb 15, 2022 at 5:29 AM Post #2,593 of 10,527
Its certainly not an apple only issue since I've had it happen on my Windows pc (5900x, 3080ti).

What's a worry for me is it does appear to be inherently a hardware issue with the mojo 2, luckily it happens so rarely I don't think it's going to be a major worry long term.

Thing is when it happens it's quite loud and possibly damaging to the ear or headset so i feel it should be taken seriously judging by how many reports there are now.

Hopefully @Rob Watts can put a few minds at rest and confirm it's at least a known issue and something being investigated.

I didn't write the USB firmware, so I can't give a firm opinion on this. But I contacted Chord last night, and they responded that so far only two reports have been sent to Chord support and so far it suggests that it is a USB sync issue. At the start of sending a track, the source and Mojo 2 communicate to establish sync and set the sample rate. If sync is lost, such as when you break the USB connection, then you can get the noise, which will continue until a re-sync occurs, such as stopping the track and re-starting.

Chord suggests also that the source be set to exclusive mode, as this has fixed source issues.

The only times I have heard this has been when losing USB connection by pulling out the cable and reattaching. Or when you shut down the DAC but keep the source running. Upon restart the source does not re-sync correctly. I always close any source app before shutting down the DAC. It's never happened to me whilst playing a track.

Note that all of the Chord DACs have identical USB firmware and USB decoder.

If you are getting it after having checked the USB cables (use a type 2 certified cable), the USB connections, and confirmed it is in exclusive mode, then I suggest that you email Chord support.

Feb 15, 2022 at 5:47 AM Post #2,594 of 10,527
The ddHifi adapter and cables all work perfectly.
Also Hidiz lightning to usbc adapter.
Fiio usbc to usbc cable.

I just Velcro the Mojo 2 on a spare iPhone case.
I am trying to make it MagSafe compatible by getting a MagSafe “ring” and stick it on mojo. Even if your iPhone is pre MagSafe you can get a MagSafe case to make this work.
I am still waiting for it to arrive and test if the magnet will hold the weight of Mojo reliably.

Feb 15, 2022 at 6:01 AM Post #2,595 of 10,527
I didn't write the USB firmware, so I can't give a firm opinion on this. But I contacted Chord last night, and they responded that so far only two reports have been sent to Chord support and so far it suggests that it is a USB sync issue. At the start of sending a track, the source and Mojo 2 communicate to establish sync and set the sample rate. If sync is lost, such as when you break the USB connection, then you can get the noise, which will continue until a re-sync occurs, such as stopping the track and re-starting.

Chord suggests also that the source be set to exclusive mode, as this has fixed source issues.

The only times I have heard this has been when losing USB connection by pulling out the cable and reattaching. Or when you shut down the DAC but keep the source running. Upon restart the source does not re-sync correctly. I always close any source app before shutting down the DAC. It's never happened to me whilst playing a track.

Note that all of the Chord DACs have identical USB firmware and USB decoder.

If you are getting it after having checked the USB cables (use a type 2 certified cable), the USB connections, and confirmed it is in exclusive mode, then I suggest that you email Chord support.
Would you by chance happen to know if it is safe to keep the OG Mojo to just sit hooked on to a laptop (few days and nights in a row) with both charging and data ports connected if the battery is removed (my one died and now my mojo is a desktop amp)

Or am I risking frying my headphones and burning my home down? :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back