Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Feb 14, 2022 at 5:48 AM Post #2,536 of 10,857
For the laptop / phone / M6 / PC, I've tried two different USB C cables and for the PC, two different USB A to USB micro cables. I've also used the M6 in USB DAC mode from the laptop via the same USB C-C cable where it sounds much the same as it does providing it's own digital input, so I am happy that the cables are not a significant factor. The cables are generic, nothing special.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the Mojo 2, it is excellent, but the M6 is punching so far above it's price point in so many ways. The Shanling Windows USB driver is not without issues mind you, but I never had the dropout into white noise with it.
Thanks for your prompt reply. Maybe the synergy with your DAP and headphones is especially good and perhaps (I'm speculating here) that using a variety of other headphones would have shown more sound/musical advantage w/M2 with some of them.

Then again, I initially used Mojo OG with the supplied generic cable for a while but it wasn't until I bought a used Curious Hugo Link micro USB,
together with AQ Jitterbug that the sound blossomed to the really special musical performance that I continue to enjoy each day. I don't have the M2 yet and
haven't heard the USB-C connection to compare with my micro USB setup but it sounds like you've covered the bases!

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2022 at 5:57 AM Post #2,537 of 10,857
Thanks for your prompt response. Maybe the synergy with your DAP and headphones is especially good and perhaps (I'm speculating here) that using a variety of other headphones would have shown more sound/musical advantage with the M2 with some of them.
Yes, very much so, hence why I qualified my comments with the limited headphones choice used for reviewing. I think as well, a big factor is how good the M6 is. Connected to the main system it really impresses too. It's a deeply impressive thing for it's price and then some. Still feeling upgradeitis though. There is also the subjective preference at play too. I like a very clean sound and am quite sensitive to differences in equipment. Here though, differences were quite noticable. I used a could of test tones to get the volumes similar, but even after turning the M6 to a noticably lower volume, it still gave a performance that I preferred. On some songs though, the Mojo 2 was clearly superior to the M6.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2022 at 6:38 AM Post #2,538 of 10,857
Still trying to get to grips with Poly while using with Mojo 2, so please forgive the ignorance. I like to listen to podcasts etc on Youtube while out on a walk, is this possible with Poly either using Bluetooth or Hotspot, not having much luck so far. Same with the BBC Sounds app. Another thing I noticed while using Hotspot I get a security warning on my phone about unauthorised people etc who might be able to use my details. Should I be worried ?

Feb 14, 2022 at 9:03 AM Post #2,544 of 10,857
Still trying to get to grips with Poly while using with Mojo 2, so please forgive the ignorance. I like to listen to podcasts etc on Youtube while out on a walk, is this possible with Poly either using Bluetooth or Hotspot, not having much luck so far. Same with the BBC Sounds app. Another thing I noticed while using Hotspot I get a security warning on my phone about unauthorised people etc who might be able to use my details. Should I be worried ?

Just use Airplay for stuff like this.

Feb 14, 2022 at 9:08 AM Post #2,545 of 10,857
Does anyone know if the white noise issue is present when using the poly? Is it only there with wired use?
I would be very surprised if it also has the same problem with the Poly, as both devices are made by the same company.

I am guessing Chord has no proper M1 / Apple Silicon native driver yet and Rosetta 2 is causing the problems. So Chord has to update it. However I could be totally wrong.

I actually have some issues with one of my audio interfaces in combination with my 16” M1 Max MacBook Pro, due to the drivers still being “beta”.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2022 at 9:20 AM Post #2,546 of 10,857
Just use Airplay for stuff like this.
Hi, thanks for your suggestion, but still no success. I put Poly in Airplane mode via Go Figure, and in case needed connected Poly to Bluetooth on phone. The volume from Youtube was coming from the phone speaker, I assume I need to cast it to available devices ? If so Poly is not among the four devices listed. With the BBC Sounds app on the phone there doesn't appear to be any method for casting or connecting to Poly.

Feb 14, 2022 at 9:38 AM Post #2,547 of 10,857
You are wrong by 1000 times. The critical resistors in Mojo 2 are rated at 10 ppm. That is a 0.01% change in resistance going from 20 deg C to 30 deg C. Moreover, that change would have zero affect upon Mojo's measured and listening performance.

For sure conventional DACs do need warm up time, for a number of complex reasons, and you can see it in the measurements. All the measurements do not change in any detectable manner upon turn on with Mojo 2.

My DACs do not have any significant warm up time, nor do they have a break-in period - any changes to SQ is your brain adjusting to the new sound. As someone posted on the Dave thread recently a 5 year old Dave sounds the same as a new Dave. I achieve this by solving a large number of individual issues, solutions to which gets applied on every DAC I design.

Good to have this clarified, thanks! For the record i wasn’t saying the Mojo did change with temperature, or not, only that theoretically it is possible depending on the resistors used, And of course its totally possible to design devices to almost completely eliminate temperature dependence at 10-40C. It was more a statement about, hey, none of us know how this thing is built, so until the engineer tells us maybe we should just pipe down and see.

Thanks for your products btw, im new to chord but the hugo is blowing my mind

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2022 at 9:55 AM Post #2,548 of 10,857
I would be very surprised if it also has the same problem with the Poly, as both devices are made by the same company.

I am guessing Chord has no proper M1 / Apple Silicon native driver yet and Rosetta 2 is causing the problems. So Chord has to update it. However I could be totally wrong.

I actually have some issues with one of my audio interfaces in combination with my 16” M1 Max MacBook Pro, due to the drivers still being “beta”.

Its certainly not an apple only issue since I've had it happen on my Windows pc (5900x, 3080ti).

What's a worry for me is it does appear to be inherently a hardware issue with the mojo 2, luckily it happens so rarely I don't think it's going to be a major worry long term.

Thing is when it happens it's quite loud and possibly damaging to the ear or headset so i feel it should be taken seriously judging by how many reports there are now.

Hopefully @Rob Watts can put a few minds at rest and confirm it's at least a known issue and something being investigated.

Feb 14, 2022 at 9:58 AM Post #2,549 of 10,857
Does anyone know if the white noise issue is present when using the poly? Is it only there with wired use?
When I had it with Mojo1 it only occurred with wired USB use, I don’t recall it ever happening with Poly. Also, I had it with my Windows laptop and Audirvana, so it isn’t just an Apple issue. As long as I didn’t use upsampling on Audirvana it was okay though.

Feb 14, 2022 at 12:11 PM Post #2,550 of 10,857
Hi, thanks for your suggestion, but still no success. I put Poly in Airplane mode via Go Figure, and in case needed connected Poly to Bluetooth on phone. The volume from Youtube was coming from the phone speaker, I assume I need to cast it to available devices ? If so Poly is not among the four devices listed. With the BBC Sounds app on the phone there doesn't appear to be any method for casting or connecting to Poly.
Hiya. Set poly to hotspot mode. This will make it appear as a wifi source in your wifi list. Select it. From your app you should then be able to choose it as an available device

Users who are viewing this thread

Back