Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Feb 6, 2022 at 1:15 PM Post #2,146 of 10,527
Great review. Glad there’s two of us who weren’t expecting Mojo2 to be this good 👌
My Chord Mojo 2 is live, versus the Gryphon & Xduoo XD05 BAL. The Xduoo has upgraded op amps, a pair of Burson V5i-D. Happy to answer any questions .

Feb 6, 2022 at 1:19 PM Post #2,147 of 10,527
Has anyone tried the Mojo 2 with the focal clear? I tried the mojo 1 with it and it wasn't the best synergy...Curious
Cayin RU6 has great synergy with the Focal Clear. The Clears can sound veiled unless the source has a very good treble response. RU6 does it.

Feb 6, 2022 at 1:25 PM Post #2,148 of 10,527
I imagine the people who do get the hypercar analogies would just buy both the gryphon & mojo and not fret lol
:beyersmile: As long as they don't use them while driving the hypercars.

Feb 6, 2022 at 5:14 PM Post #2,150 of 10,527
A short report on the first couple of days with the Mojo 2.

I have owned the Mojo 1 three times and was in love with it. The Mojo 2 is however an update that is worthy of both the price and the hype. Definitely substantially more depth, increased dynamics and a much more defined/refined low-end. I am not a strong believer in audible differences between DACs, fx I hear no significant difference between Schiit's Modi 3+ and the Bifrost 2, but I reckon Watts' secret sauce makes a difference in this case. The cross-feed is a game changer for me... Don't know how much benefit I will get out of the new EQ, however. I prefer the default tuning of my cans. I have tried the little wonder with Hifiman Sundara, Sennheiser HD600, Beyerdynamic DT 900 PRO X and Grado SR80e.
I bought a cheap MFI USB C - Lightning cable from a vendor here in Denmark. It does not work. So I will probably try Apple's own. I find the CCK-adapter a bit flimsy, fragile and annoying tbh.
Your impressions are helpful to me since I own the Mojo OG. How is the treble of the Mojo 2 vs. OG? Is the Mojo 2 more neutrally tuned than the OG as has been claimed?

I am heading to New York for Can Jam and hope to hear it there. I am really trying to understand where Mojo 2 fits in the portable landscape. Is it better than or equal to my Hiby RS6? How does it sound relative to Hugo 2? In reading the impressions so far, I am not getting a good sense of it. How does it really compare to the Gryphon? The video review recently posted was not sufficient to give me a feel for the differences. The car metaphor didn't do it for me.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2022 at 6:01 PM Post #2,151 of 10,527
Using the same music file in each of the following scenarios, which should theoretically result in the best sound?
👉 playing from an SD card in the Poly
👉 playing from iPhone (wired)
👉 playing from an android device (wired)
👉 streaming from iPhone to Poly (via airplay)
👉 streaming from an android device to Poly (lossless bluetooth)

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2022 at 6:37 PM Post #2,152 of 10,527
Using the same music file in each of the following scenarios, which should theoretically result in the best sound?
None of the above. The best sound is streaming over wifi directly to the Poly No airplay and no Bluetooth.

I've never tried SD card from the Poly because I didn't think I would be able to get it to work. That could have the best sound depending on the quality of the music on the SD card.

Feb 6, 2022 at 6:44 PM Post #2,154 of 10,527
From my experience with MojoPoly I found that Poly changes the sound - or at least, did in my set up.

When I added Poly and used Audirvana (on PC) with playback via network/Wifi to Poly, there was an increase in separation and soundstage. More defined instruments with more space in between each. The baseline Mojo sound has those kind of thick mids, where instruments sound distinct but can be a bit tightly packed at times, while Poly/Wifi playback increased the sense of space between notes.

With Poly via SD card, the increase in resolution and space is enhanced again; probably a bigger step up even. There's much more micro-detail, and again more space between notes. On the one hand, I could see how people would find microSD card playback 'the best' - more resolution and better soundstage. But for me, it was almost like that enhanced space and resolution could tend towards sounding highly refined, but missing a bit of that typical Mojo sound. It's more neutral and precise perhaps, but I would end up going for Poly/Wifi most often as a nice in-between that captured the best of both worlds.

Feb 6, 2022 at 7:03 PM Post #2,155 of 10,527
Isn’t AirPlay essentially streaming over WiFi?
Subset — Airplay is limited to 24/44.1 while upnp client over Wifi should allow higher sample rate streaming.

Feb 6, 2022 at 7:03 PM Post #2,156 of 10,527
From my experience with MojoPoly I found that Poly changes the sound - or at least, did in my set up.

When I added Poly and used Audirvana (on PC) with playback via network/Wifi to Poly, there was an increase in separation and soundstage. More defined instruments with more space in between each. The baseline Mojo sound has those kind of thick mids, where instruments sound distinct but can be a bit tightly packed at times, while Poly/Wifi playback increased the sense of space between notes.

With Poly via SD card, the increase in resolution and space is enhanced again; probably a bigger step up even. There's much more micro-detail, and again more space between notes. On the one hand, I could see how people would find microSD card playback 'the best' - more resolution and better soundstage. But for me, it was almost like that enhanced space and resolution could tend towards sounding highly refined, but missing a bit of that typical Mojo sound. It's more neutral and precise perhaps, but I would end up going for Poly/Wifi most often as a nice in-between that captured the best of both worlds.
Interesting. I wonder if SD card is the best way to go, and then use the DSP to “warm up” the sound of needed.

Feb 6, 2022 at 7:38 PM Post #2,158 of 10,527
SD card in Poly played directly in gofigure sounded the best to me - this is on an iPhone. Difference is not huge and can be heard as a slight improvement in inner detail on the higher register notes.

Feb 6, 2022 at 10:03 PM Post #2,159 of 10,527
So does the Mojo 2 still hiss with IEM's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back