Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Feb 2, 2022 at 3:03 AM Post #1,726 of 10,838
Although Rob speaks in a highly technical manner when describing all the changes he made and why, I really recommend if you are interested in acquiring an M2 to listen to the podcast, it answers a lot of questions about the new design goals.

There are two Mojos that have been released, the original and the new 2. From my recollection, the OG was tuned as it was because the designated market in Chord’s view was for phones which due to their circuitry are noisy (RFI) devices which add brightness to the sound, and the thought was a warmer version would mate better with the intended use. Because the M2 now has lossless EQ, Rob wanted to improve the overall performance and clarity by designing it to be neutral. ✌️

@Rob Watts It would be useful to know what EQ settings give the best match to Mojo 1 based on spectral measurements of the output signal.

Feb 2, 2022 at 3:03 AM Post #1,727 of 10,838
Excellent and well detailed overview of Mojo 2 here at Headphonia.

https://www.headfonia.com/chord-electronics-mojo-2-review/

I heartily concur with this paragraph from the review - loving the Mojo 2 with my HD 800S's

"The Sennheiser HD800S and Mojo 2 combo is excellent. I didn’t expect it to sound this remarkable but I could listen to this all day long. Clarity, precision, excellent PRaT, a good amount of overall body, nice bass impact and all that with a musical presentations. My ears approve."

I like this bit from the What HiFi review.

Quote,
"Music has the vividity of a stained glass window here. .." (https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/chord-mojo-2)

When I was talking about the Hugo 2 once, I decribed sometimes as seeing the sounds as translucent colours. Generally I think the Hugo 2 has the effect of being visualised as colours in a sound-stage. I don't mean coloured for example as tonally warm if there is a mid bass hump. I mean generally the sounds can appear like colours.

EDIT: For reference, in comparison the TT2 just sounds more real. That's not meant derogatory of the Hugo 2, in my opinion. The Hugo 2 is peerless in every respect, and I love mine all the way. Am just making a reference of Hugo 2 and TT2.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2022 at 3:20 AM Post #1,729 of 10,838
Feb 2, 2022 at 3:26 AM Post #1,730 of 10,838
I don't take What HiFi's reviews too seriously anymore. How do we know how much money was paid for the "review"

"Play a Tidal Master of Elbow’s What Am I Without You, and the organ opener lurches forward with more texture and exuberance, the echo clings eagerly to Guy Garvey’s more tangible crooning, and the bass notes are substantially plumper. Not only a blessing in its maturation of the Mojo 2’s soundstage, but the distinct openness also does wonders to capture the atmosphere of the choir accompaniment in this track."

Mojo doesn't even have MQA capability so they would be OK with just playing the normal FLAC/PCM version of that track.

Casually mentioning "Tidal Master" suggests that possibly some sponsorship money also changed hands there too.

Feb 2, 2022 at 3:36 AM Post #1,731 of 10,838
@Rob Watts as I understand Mojo 2 still can be connected to efficient speakers directly ?
If so is the power similar to 1st Mojo into ~8ohms ?

I remember taking Mojo1 + Poly to my brother and connecting it directly to his 92db speakers.
The look of his face :wink: priceless

Feb 2, 2022 at 3:46 AM Post #1,733 of 10,838
Folks, am thinking of getting the Mojo 2 + Poly. Main usage is to stream Tidal from my phone to M2 Poly via Bluetooth.

Does the M2 Poly support LDAC? I understand the Poly is bluetooth 4.1, when bluetooth now is 5.0+. Does these mean it is an overkill, or I'm not maximising the combo's sound potential based on my usage of Bluetooth streaming?

Feb 2, 2022 at 3:48 AM Post #1,734 of 10,838
Folks, am thinking of getting the Mojo 2 + Poly. Main usage is to stream Tidal from my phone to M2 Poly via Bluetooth.

Does the M2 Poly support LDAC? I understand the Poly is bluetooth 4.1, when bluetooth now is 5.0+. Does these mean it is an overkill, or I'm not maximising the combo's sound potential based on my usage of Bluetooth streaming?
Nope. Bluetooth on poly is very very basic.
You need to use some app like bubble upnp to get the best SQ.

Feb 2, 2022 at 3:48 AM Post #1,735 of 10,838

If bluetooth is your game then you are better off with a bluetooth module instead of the poly.

Feb 2, 2022 at 3:51 AM Post #1,736 of 10,838
Feb 2, 2022 at 4:25 AM Post #1,737 of 10,838
I don't take What HiFi's reviews too seriously anymore. How do we know how much money was paid for the "review"

"Play a Tidal Master of Elbow’s What Am I Without You, and the organ opener lurches forward with more texture and exuberance, the echo clings eagerly to Guy Garvey’s more tangible crooning, and the bass notes are substantially plumper. Not only a blessing in its maturation of the Mojo 2’s soundstage, but the distinct openness also does wonders to capture the atmosphere of the choir accompaniment in this track."

Mojo doesn't even have MQA capability so they would be OK with just playing the normal FLAC/PCM version of that track.

Casually mentioning "Tidal Master" suggests that possibly some sponsorship money also changed hands there too.
Copy and paste with some song change for other DAC review. It’s all in template

Feb 2, 2022 at 4:59 AM Post #1,738 of 10,838
On the topic of cases, I quite prefer this version of the Mojo case over current Mojo 2 case. The contrasting red stitching, leather grain, and sloppy construction on the Mojo 2 case looks terrible. Hopefully, Dignis will remedy that.

1643771445216.png
The OG Mojo (and Mojopoly) case was utterly horrible. Hard plastic with a thin bit of leather on top. Hated it to bits.
The Van Nuys case for Mojopoly was excellent, on the other hand. I like the new Mojo 2 cases a lot.

Feb 2, 2022 at 5:22 AM Post #1,739 of 10,838
I like this bit from the What HiFi review.

Quote,
"Music has the vividity of a stained glass window here. .." (https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/chord-mojo-2)

When I was talking about the Hugo 2 once, I decribed sometimes as seeing the sounds as translucent colours. Generally I think the Hugo 2 has the effect of being visualised as colours in a sound-stage. I don't mean coloured for example as tonally warm if there is a mid bass hump. I mean generally the sounds can appear like colours.

EDIT: For reference, in comparison the TT2 just sounds more real. That's not meant derogatory of the Hugo 2, in my opinion. The Hugo 2 is peerless in every respect, and I love mine all the way. Am just making a reference of Hugo 2 and TT2.
I also have the Hugo 2 and my main use is late at night with Sennheiser HD800S, the Hugo 2 is connected to Macbook with Audioquest USB. Must admit that I was really surprised how much the Mojo 2 gave the Hugo 2 a run for it's money in this set up, given the huge price difference. It's early days but if anything I "preferred" the sound from the Mojo 2, maybe it's a better fit with the HD800S's.
Anyway, I'm now going to use the Mojo 2 for when I'm on the go, and as a replacement for the Hugo 2 at night. The Hugo 2 can now take up permanent residence as part of my hifi rig. I can pay the Mojo 2 no higher compliment.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2022 at 5:29 AM Post #1,740 of 10,838
I was looking forward to the reveal, but it ain't for me. Strikes me that this is more Mojo 1.5. A fundamental design / positioning choice was to keep the same footprint as the original and to maintain compatibility with Poly
I find the decision to keep mico USB for Poly compatibility quite strange. Poly was released over 4 years ago, and is surely due for a replacement, while micro USB is already on its last legs - the EU have already banned it for many product types.

I don't think mojo 2 will have the longevity of the original because even today it looks a bit anachronistic with micro USB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back