Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Apr 30, 2024 at 9:40 AM Post #10,501 of 10,805
It's a real shame that Spotify Connect is not widely implemented.
I suppose for folks that use it, I'm waiting for Spotify to go lossless, been waiting a few years now, I doubt I'll ever see it. :)

If its playlists that keep you loyal to Spotify perhaps have a look at SoundDiiz, I use it all the time to import Spotify playlists into Apple Music and others.

Apr 30, 2024 at 10:57 AM Post #10,503 of 10,805
There are upsample solutions that bring (standard-to-well mastered) spotify 320kbps to almost CD quality, or better than poor mastered CD quality. I consider bit perfect well mastered 320kbps adequate hifi food on the table 🍽️
I'm with you. While I do use Tidal, it's not because I think CD quality or hi res sounds much better than Spotify's quality. I use Tidal for its Roon integration. I have found many, many other things to have a much bigger impact on ultimate sound quality than the streaming quality difference between compressed and lossless. Said otherwise, if Spotify worked with Roon, I might cancel my Tidal subscription.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2024 at 11:03 AM Post #10,504 of 10,805
I'm with you. While I do use Tidal, it's not because I think CD quality or hi res sounds much better than Spotify's quality. I use Tidal for its Roon integration. I have found many, many other things to have a much bigger impact on ultimate sound quality than the streaming quality difference between compressed and lossless. Said otherwise, if Spotify worked with Roon, I might cancel my Tidal subscription.
I made my family blind test Tidal and Qobuz via UAPP Mojo 2 and also Amazon music through the phone to Mojo plus phone to wireless IEMs using flac

No one could hear any difference

Apr 30, 2024 at 11:07 AM Post #10,505 of 10,805
I just can’t believe you can’t turn off Dolby Atmos using an external DAC. Seriously? The only reason I bought a new Android phone was because I was getting EMI inference using Mojo 2 with an iPhone. What a joke.

Apr 30, 2024 at 1:42 PM Post #10,507 of 10,805
Hi everyone. Could I get some help using the Mojo 2 with my Android phone - One Plus 12. I’m running Android 14 and I can’t seem to turn off Dolby Atmos in settings. In order to toggle off Dolby Atmos my phone says I need to connect earphones to the device however the Mojo 2 isn’t recognised as a headphone therefore I can’t turn it off.

It’s very obvious that Dolby Atmos is using compression + spatialization + equalisation which is not what I want because not only does it sound ‘reverby’ but it’s clearly not bit perfect.

What are head-fiers doing to get around this? I imagine a lot of people are using Android 14. Any advice would be much appreciated!

I just checked my Samsung Z flip running android 14 and can liberally toggle the dolby atmos on and off without any DAC or headphone plugged in. Did you try to restart your phone? I noticed that android 14 gets buggy when the phone hasn't been restarted in a long period of time. I can't believe that the One Plus 12 modified this setting to behave like this. It sounds like a glitch.

Even when you disable Atmos, you will will be running the Mojo2 through the AAudio which will resample everything to 16/48. I haven't personally found the SQ to be massively or even significantly different when bypassing AAudio and using the Mojo2 bitperfect from something like UAPP. I do however use UAPP and Roon ARC with SRC bypass whenever possible.

Apr 30, 2024 at 1:43 PM Post #10,508 of 10,805
I just can’t believe you can’t turn off Dolby Atmos using an external DAC. Seriously? The only reason I bought a new Android phone was because I was getting EMI inference using Mojo 2 with an iPhone. What a joke.

You can. the OP issue is not the default behavior for Dolby Atmos on android 14.

Apr 30, 2024 at 1:43 PM Post #10,509 of 10,805
For myself (and many others), the Mojo 2 actually works best as a desktop DAC feeding a separate amp rather than as a solo DAC/amp. I won't go into all the reasons, but the two big ones are 1) I need the additional power to drive certain headphones, and 2) the Mojo 2 sounds cleanest at very high output, too high to be comfortably listenable on most headphones. My amp can more cleanly play at a wider range of gain levels. Less is not always more when it comes to a gear chain.
I also use an amp with the Mojo 2 and agree that these are the main points/reasons.

It’s actually one of the most enjoyable DAC’s I’ve heard, perhaps not the most detailed but it’s excellent timing, tonality and impeccable transient response makes it highly musical. Then again, I’ve always preferred Chord DAC’s when connected to external amps so past experiences may cloud my judgement here. :sweat_smile:

Apr 30, 2024 at 10:10 PM Post #10,510 of 10,805
I also use an amp with the Mojo 2 and agree that these are the main points/reasons.

It’s actually one of the most enjoyable DAC’s I’ve heard, perhaps not the most detailed but it’s excellent timing, tonality and impeccable transient response makes it highly musical. Then again, I’ve always preferred Chord DAC’s when connected to external amps so past experiences may cloud my judgement here. :sweat_smile:

Its the most detailed portable DAC ever created

May 1, 2024 at 12:05 AM Post #10,511 of 10,805
Its the most detailed portable DAC ever created
Yes, it’s an amazingly capable portable DAC.

When I wrote ”perhaps not the most detailed” I meant as a desktop DAC in comparison with some other DAC’s I’ve had (either auditioned or owned) in my system. Most recently I’ve had an Aqua La Scala Mk II Optologic and Mola Mola Tambaqui here. Both are great DAC’s as is the Mojo 2. :L3000:

May 1, 2024 at 12:43 AM Post #10,512 of 10,805
This is also why I was/am interested in adding an external amp. Been recommended by many Mojo2 users, who like it as a desktop/portable DAC. My question was about which amp should I look for. I was going to test the Tsuranagi, but the shop which had it, sadly sold the last copy some week ago :frowning2: I'll be testing PA10 however. But I am unsure if that's of any benefit, since you have to use unbalanced input/outputs and the power isnt the best. My headphones cable has balanced termination. Maybe I should just skip the Mojo and look for the source that has balanced outputs.

May 1, 2024 at 1:24 AM Post #10,513 of 10,805
This is also why I was/am interested in adding an external amp. Been recommended by many Mojo2 users, who like it as a desktop/portable DAC. My question was about which amp should I look for. I was going to test the Tsuranagi, but the shop which had it, sadly sold the last copy some week ago :frowning2: I'll be testing PA10 however. But I am unsure if that's of any benefit, since you have to use unbalanced input/outputs and the power isnt the best. My headphones cable has balanced termination. Maybe I should just skip the Mojo and look for the source that has balanced outputs.
This is my chain: streamer -> DAC -> RCA -> amp -> XLR headphone cable

Works great!

IMHO, you should forget about balanced vs single-ended. You’d be very hard pressed to find something as good as the Mojo 2 especially when it comes to timing and transient response. :sweat_smile:

May 1, 2024 at 1:32 AM Post #10,514 of 10,805
This is my chain: streamer -> DAC -> RCA -> amp -> XLR headphone cable

Works great!

IMHO, you should forget about balanced vs single-ended. You’d be very hard pressed to find something as good as the Mojo 2 especially when it comes to timing and transient response. :sweat_smile:
I'll be A/B it versus some of the portable dongles like iBasso Dc Elite and Cayin Ru7 and CM18 portable, to really see if I spot any differences.

May 1, 2024 at 2:07 AM Post #10,515 of 10,805
By mistake I ran the Mojo 2 on batteries when listening yesterday. Eventually the battery ran low and I realized that I’d disconnected the charger by mistake. As I reconnected the charger the sound quality took a hit when the almost depleted battery was recharging.

BTW, I didn’t notice any difference while running on batteries from when I use it connected to an Apple charger running in ”desktop mode”.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back