Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Mar 4, 2023 at 4:51 PM Post #7,066 of 11,010
I think at any one time Rob has many prototypes of different products on the go in his design/testing space.
Don't forget the other half of the equation, which is that it needs John Franks to say words to the effect 'Rob I need product x to be designed and ready for production on date y'.
In theory a prototype could sit there for years, waiting for the 'go' from John Franks.
Just think back a few years, to the posts from Rob suggesting that the digital amp would be ready in one year, but John Franks then posting that the digital amp would not appear for several years at the earliest. :wink:

Yea, who knows - maybe wishful thinking on my part.
I'm still hopeful but If it takes longer, I guess that's more time to save up 🤣

Mar 4, 2023 at 7:47 PM Post #7,070 of 11,010
That’s unreasonable. I was thinking more along the lines of pickled herring. Gross!
My vote is fermented shark 🤣

Mar 5, 2023 at 9:34 AM Post #7,071 of 11,010
Hello friends,

In my search for a portable setup to drive my Grados around the house, I´m looking for a DAC to pair with a Vorizuge Vorzamp Pure II Pro amp (this will always be part of the portable setup, no matter what it will be in the end).

I´m looking for a good portable DAC that can be a DAP or something like the Mojo 2.

Streaming is not a big deal for this portable set, and therefore a DAP like a Hiby RS2 or the Lotoo PAW 6000 could be a perfect solution as a source and maybe even as a DAC.

I wonder if, considering the DAC alone, there are SQ noticeable differences between these three options.

The ideal, in terms of portability would be a DAP (operating as a source and DAC) connected to the amp. Nevertheless if there is a considerable difference between these DAPs and the mojo 2 DAC, I do not mind having one more unit in the setup (in this case it could be one of the referred DAPs as a source, the Mojo 2 as a DAC and the vorzuge amp.)

In alternative I could also get the Poly for the Mojo 2 (and discard the DAP) and use Poly´s SD card slot or my iPhone with airplay. I may be wrong but, despite all Polly's issues with the Mojo, it still works best with apple than android.

One of the advantages of these DAPs is using the LO to the amp. The Mojo 2 doesn´t have a LO and it is my understanding that the amp section cannot be bypassed so in the end I would be double amping it with the Vorzamp amp.

One of the advantages of going with mojo 2 (with poly or not) is its EQ capability on the fly. Very interesting feature.

Anyway, I guess in the end I would just like to know if the Mojo 2 DAC is indeed superior to the ones of the DAP´s referred and if so, does the “poorest” mojo 2 connectivity to the amp would still justify the extra unit in the setup, and ultimately its price, since it would be an additional expense.

SQ is my ultimate aim, for sure, within my budget possibilities of course. But in this particular case if the difference is barely noticeable then I would consider the "hassle" and extra cost would not justify the ends. On the other hand if the SQ is a clear improvement, I wouldn't mind go the extra mile for sure!

I apologize for the somewhat confusing post but I hope you get my idea and the purpose I´m aiming.

Thank you.

Mar 5, 2023 at 9:40 AM Post #7,072 of 11,010
Depends really, if moving round the house all you want to do is listen to your downloaded music collection then sticking it on an SD card and using the poly is decent idea. If it's just streaming from a service just get a DAP.

Although I have an old phone , used as a DAP via UAPP and walk round the house with that and it's fine

Mar 5, 2023 at 10:00 AM Post #7,073 of 11,010
Depends really, if moving round the house all you want to do is listen to your downloaded music collection then sticking it on an SD card and using the poly is decent idea. If it's just streaming from a service just get a DAP.

Although I have an old phone , used as a DAP via UAPP and walk round the house with that and it's fine
Thank you for your input but in all honesty, my question is more related to the Mojo 2 (as a DAC) compared to those DAP´s. If after making a decision, I go the mojo route, then the Poly vs DAP source matter will be considered. For now it is just secondary matter. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :thumbsup:

Mar 5, 2023 at 10:11 AM Post #7,074 of 11,010
Hello friends,

In my search for a portable setup to drive my Grados around the house, I´m looking for a DAC to pair with a Vorizuge Vorzamp Pure II Pro amp (this will always be part of the portable setup, no matter what it will be in the end).

I´m looking for a good portable DAC that can be a DAP or something like the Mojo 2.

Streaming is not a big deal for this portable set, and therefore a DAP like a Hiby RS2 or the Lotoo PAW 6000 could be a perfect solution as a source and maybe even as a DAC.

I wonder if, considering the DAC alone, there are SQ noticeable differences between these three options.

The ideal, in terms of portability would be a DAP (operating as a source and DAC) connected to the amp. Nevertheless if there is a considerable difference between these DAPs and the mojo 2 DAC, I do not mind having one more unit in the setup (in this case it could be one of the referred DAPs as a source, the Mojo 2 as a DAC and the vorzuge amp.)

In alternative I could also get the Poly for the Mojo 2 (and discard the DAP) and use Poly´s SD card slot or my iPhone with airplay. I may be wrong but, despite all Polly's issues with the Mojo, it still works best with apple than android.

One of the advantages of these DAPs is using the LO to the amp. The Mojo 2 doesn´t have a LO and it is my understanding that the amp section cannot be bypassed so in the end I would be double amping it with the Vorzamp amp.

One of the advantages of going with mojo 2 (with poly or not) is its EQ capability on the fly. Very interesting feature.

Anyway, I guess in the end I would just like to know if the Mojo 2 DAC is indeed superior to the ones of the DAP´s referred and if so, does the “poorest” mojo 2 connectivity to the amp would still justify the extra unit in the setup, and ultimately its price, since it would be an additional expense.

SQ is my ultimate aim, for sure, within my budget possibilities of course. But in this particular case if the difference is barely noticeable then I would consider the "hassle" and extra cost would not justify the ends. On the other hand if the SQ is a clear improvement, I wouldn't mind go the extra mile for sure!

I apologize for the somewhat confusing post but I hope you get my idea and the purpose I´m aiming.

Thank you.
I considered the Hiby R3 Sabre Pro because it is within mm the same size as the Mojo 2. It has all the streaming and DAP capabilities you need. And it's pretty inexpensive. IIRC it has a coax out as well.

Ultimately, I'm using my iBasso DX320 with coax because I already have 2 DAPs and don't need a 3rd.

Agree 100% that the poly is the most useful around a stable WiFi environment like your home.

As for the LO on Mojo 2, don't worry. Just set it to around 2Vs output and it will be an excellent DAC to feed your amps. You aren't double amping because the Mojo 2 is using the FGPA chip output directly to jack as opposed to additional op amps and discreet output stages that most headphone outputs use.

Mar 5, 2023 at 10:21 AM Post #7,075 of 11,010
Hello friends,

Thank you.
I haven’t heard it, but if you will always be using an external amp, then IMO you lose a lot of what Mojo/Mojo2 brings which is power and transparency in a portable package. Add to that that you will then have an issue of how to stream to Mojo2 and the extra expense of Poly, that would lead me to go the dap route. Or, if you are open to it, you may find Mojo2 works well for you without the additional amp.

Mar 5, 2023 at 10:50 AM Post #7,076 of 11,010
Thank you so much for your answers guys.

The reason I'm considering the Mojo 2 is simply because of the DAC quality. I never tried one, for sure, but from everything I have read in this matter, I got the idea that the DAC in Hugo 2 was amongst the best, considering portable, but the amp was kind of just average. Nevertheless I ruled it out (not totally yet) because considering its "age", price and dimensions, the Mojo 2 seems to be a good and valid alternative. The only reason to consider the Hugo 2 would be if I would also use it as a desktop DAC to feed my tube amp. (since I'm looking for a desktop DAC to replace the SMSL which I don't like). That would be the only reason to justify the Hugo 2 cost but it seems that brings some other issues (when alternating between portable and stationary) which I cannot reproduce as I have to dedicate myself more the the Hugo 2 thread and understand the veracity about rumors I read here and there.

So, regarding the Mojo 2. I'm not saying that the amp section sucks but once again, from everything I read, there are way better alternatives in that section. One of those being the "hidden" gem, made here in Europe, that is the Vorzuge amp. I have one on the way, so considering using whatever DAC I choose without the Vorzuge amp is out of the question. I already set my mind on the amp, bought it, and won't budge on that since I must justify the purchase. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: :L3000:

The source issue is not a big deal because I can go the DAP route or the Poly one. Price wise it would be around the same for each choice. The main advantages I see with a DAP choice is the fact that I could take it outside with me instead of my iPhone and dongle option. Maybe an advantage or maybe not. And the other is one less unit in the portable house setup, but in all honesty, since it is only for the house that would not be a big deal.

So it all comes down to the DAC SQ differences between the Lotoo/Hiby RS2 Vs the Mojo 2. I know a few amongst Mojo2 owners have owned or tried at least one of these DAP´s and the comparison opinion, considering DAC alone is what I'm looking for to try and make the most educated "guess"/choice I can.:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::ksc75smile:

I´m not the greatest fan of those digital sounded chips. I usually prefer something more analogical, organic (still finding my preferences around). But of course everything comes down to implementation and not as simple as the chip used alone. In theory, I'm betting more on the RS2 R2R DAC but the Lotoo seems to bee one of the most amazing free hassle/issues DAP´s around with great DAC chip implementation. That is why I'm considering both at the moment. But are their DAC´s at the Mojo 2 Level?

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2023 at 11:15 AM Post #7,077 of 11,010
Thank you so much for your answers guys.

The reason I'm considering the Mojo 2 is simply because of the DAC quality. I never tried one, for sure, but from everything I have read in this matter, I got the idea that the DAC in Hugo 2 was amongst the best, considering portable, but the amp was kind of just average. Nevertheless I ruled it out (not totally yet) because considering its "age", price and dimensions, the Mojo 2 seems to be a good and valid alternative. The only reason to consider the Hugo 2 would be if I would also use it also as a desktop DAC to feed my tube amp. (since I'm looking for a desktop DAC to replace the SMSL which I don't like). That would be the only reason to justify the Hugo 2 cost but it seems that brings some other issues (when alternating between portable and stationary) which I cannot reproduce as I have to dedicate myself more the the Hugo 2 thread and understand the veracity about rumors I read here and there.

So, regarding the Mojo 2. I'm not saying that the amp section sucks but once again, from everything I read, there are way better alternatives in that section. One of those being the "hidden" gem, made here in Europe, that is the Vorzuge amp. I have one on the way, so considering using whatever DAC I choose without the amp is out of the question. I already set my mind on the amp, bought it, and won't budge on that since I must justify the purchase. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: :L3000:

The source issue is not a big deal because I can go the DAP route or the Poly one. Price wise it would be around the same for each choice. The main advantages I see with a DAP choice is the fact that I could take it outside with me instead of my iPhone and dongle option. Maybe an advantage or maybe not. And the other is one less unit in the portable house setup, but in all honesty, since it is only for the house that would not be a big deal.

So it all comes down to the DAC SQ differences between the Lotoo/Hiby RS2 Vs the Mojo 2. I know a few amongst Mojo2 owners have owned or tried at least one of these DAP´s and the comparison opinion, considering DAC alone is what I'm looking for to try and make the most educated "guess"/choice I can.:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::ksc75smile:

I´m not the greatest fan of those digital sounded chips. I usually prefer something more analogical, organic (still finding my preferences around). But of course everything comes down to implementation and not as simple as the chip used alone. In theory, I'm betting more on the RS2 R2R DAC but the Lotoo seems to bee one of the most amazing free hassle/issues DAP´s around with great DAC chip implementation. That is why I'm considering both at the moment. But are their DAC´s at the Mojo 2 Level?
Congratulations on the purchase of the Vorzuge amp.
I’m sure you will enjoy it.

I have been using a Vorzuge amp for many years and can’t rate it highly enough.

I use a Mojo 2 sometimes with the Vorzuge.
Highly recommend.
Can’t help with comparison against the daps you mention.

Other small dacs I use with the Pure are Ibasso DC03 pro.

Mojo 2 from a iPhone is very good .
It’s what I use daily around the house.
Cheap iPhone case and just Velcro the Mojo 2 on the back.
I use a Fiio LT1 cable and have no issues at all.

Shall post some photos later when I’m home.

Think you can still buy Mojo 2 for £399 from Peter Tyson?

Mar 5, 2023 at 1:10 PM Post #7,078 of 11,010
Congratulations on the purchase of the Vorzuge amp.
I’m sure you will enjoy it.

I have been using a Vorzuge amp for many years and can’t rate it highly enough.

I use a Mojo 2 sometimes with the Vorzuge.
Highly recommend.
Can’t help with comparison against the daps you mention.

Other small dacs I use with the Pure are Ibasso DC03 pro.

Mojo 2 from a iPhone is very good .
It’s what I use daily around the house.
Cheap iPhone case and just Velcro the Mojo 2 on the back.
I use a Fiio LT1 cable and have no issues at all.

Shall post some photos later when I’m home.

Think you can still buy Mojo 2 for £399 from Peter Tyson?
Thank you so much for your feedback. Photos are always welcome of course! :L3000:

I usually find for deals within the EU since now, with Brexit, Customs fees and taxes makes ordering from the UK not cheap. If I decide to go with the mojo 2 I will also be looking for some second hand deal, if available of course.

Mar 5, 2023 at 4:08 PM Post #7,079 of 11,010
Hello my friends. Just bought this after all the positive reviews. It is my first dac/amp to feed my Hifiman Sundara. My question is, i will feed this with 3.5mm input in my steam deck sometimes, when playing and usb-c with my android phone for most of the time. What will i miss in terms of sound qualities when it will be plugged into 3.5mm instead of a usb-c? It will be possible to know if it is a 88khz or 192 etc... song with 3.5mm input? Thank you

Mar 5, 2023 at 4:30 PM Post #7,080 of 11,010
Hello my friends. Just bought this after all the positive reviews. It is my first dac/amp to feed my Hifiman Sundara. My question is, i will feed this with 3.5mm input in my steam deck sometimes, when playing and usb-c with my android phone for most of the time. What will i miss in terms of sound qualities when it will be plugged into 3.5mm instead of a usb-c? It will be possible to know if it is a 88khz or 192 etc... song with 3.5mm input? Thank you
As I understand your post, you are asking about providing a 3.5 mm analog input to the Mojo. The Mojo only has digital inputs and analog outputs. So that isn't possible.

If you meant to provide a TOSlink output from the steam deck to the Mojo, then yes, that would work with the appropriate cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back