Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Feb 8, 2022 at 7:30 AM Post #2,251 of 11,002
Ah is there a better way to start a day with such a morning package at your desk? Apparently Chord has been aware of firmware upgrade issue and I've got v3 installed - or at least so the sticker on the Poly box says. 6 hours of charging before I can check :)

Also if possible confirm if the Mojo and Poly have the same colours.

Feb 8, 2022 at 7:34 AM Post #2,252 of 11,002
Feb 8, 2022 at 7:36 AM Post #2,253 of 11,002
@someyoungguy thank you Sir for bringing it to my attention! I've decided to go with Poly thinking naively that it will finally work correctly and now I understand why dealer tried to persuade me to install upgrade before shipping it with Mojo 2 to me. Luckily I have Mojo 1 still in operational state, but I feel sorry for new Mojo 2 and Poly owners who are without one and living far from any Chord dealer with Mojo 1.
Yes inconvénient for some owners.
Maybe one workaround would be for impacted owners, to post something like ´if you live near xxxxx and would be happy to meet up for a beer, while i use your Mojo to up date my Poly, please send a PM'.

Feb 8, 2022 at 9:42 AM Post #2,254 of 11,002
I would use optical from PC if sound quality matters. Mojo and all Chord portables do not have galvanic isolation on the usb input. This means ground noise from PC will get into the dac and degrade sound quality.

Those are different types of noise. Ground noise travels via ground rails. PC noise that gets into the DAC travels via USB data rails.

Most Chord DACs have usb data rail noise filtering.

Feb 8, 2022 at 10:01 AM Post #2,256 of 11,002
Those are different types of noise. Ground noise travels via ground rails. PC noise that gets into the DAC travels via USB data rails.

Most Chord DACs have usb data rail noise filtering.
makes no sense. if your USB square wave has degraded to a lopsided saw tooth no amount of "data rail noise filtering" will be able to recover the lost data. The goal of galvanic isolation is not to fix the waveform but to stop noise from getting into the dac.

Do whatever sounds good to you.

Feb 8, 2022 at 10:14 AM Post #2,257 of 11,002
USB noise filters like ifi iDefender or audioquest jitter bug do help a lot.
The effect with the iDefender is more depth and three dimensionality in the sound.
It seems to be less noisy, but also a bit darker with less energy.
Without filter the sound stage is more 2D and has more listening fatigue.
I compared it several times with and without the filter on mojo 1 and mojo 2, the difference is the same.
And if someone asks, if you use two filters on one usb cable, it loses resolution and clarity.

I believe that many complains of bad synergy or "meh sound" is related to noisy sources attached mojo. To me it was the first portable dac/amp that came close to my desktop rig

Feb 8, 2022 at 10:28 AM Post #2,258 of 11,002
Also if possible confirm if the Mojo and Poly have the same colours.
I have an original Poly. Hadn't noticed it was a slightly different shade to Mojo 2. Held to sunlight it has more of a blueish tint to Mojo 2. Other than that, it's a negligible difference.

Feb 8, 2022 at 10:33 AM Post #2,259 of 11,002
Greetings Butties

I was wondering how does the Mojo 2 Holds UP against something like a Fiio M17 ?

Regards
lol

In a nutshell, these are two totally different products with one being primarily for desktop use and 6X the size of the other.

Feb 8, 2022 at 11:28 AM Post #2,261 of 11,002
Are everyone's Mojo 2 and Poly a totally different colour?
That is the same mismatch on my MOJO original... I assume it will be the same when MOJO 2 arrives. Certainly not ideal but mine will be going into a case if I can find one. Poly was so easy to fire up and update I can live with this cosmetic issue. The sound is intoxicating... and the freedom of less wires :) with no sacrifice in SQ.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2022 at 11:39 AM Post #2,262 of 11,002
Greetings Butties

I was wondering how does the Mojo 2 Holds UP against something like a Fiio M17 ?

Regards
I preordered the Mojo 2. I A/B the OG Mojo against the M17 and the M17 beat the Mojo in all aspects except that Mojo had a more analog sound. The clarity was better on the M17 as well as sound stage height and width. The m17 had more of the digital edge. I'm hoping the Mojo 2 has the strengths of the M17 with the more natural sound of the Mojo. From what I read, that seems to be the case. Super excited.

Edit: I want to add that I still REALLY like the Mojo 1. It's just different from the M17.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2022 at 12:08 PM Post #2,263 of 11,002
Dear @HiFiHawaii808 go back to my post and reread it please. I have never said I haven't watched a bit of it. I only have said I have not watch full 40+ minutes of the review. This is a fundamental difference. Using your logic one could say it is amazing that person who says almost half of review is not useful (19 minutes out of 40+) still rates it as far better review than any other already available. As a side note I do value your opinion and I kind of agree: there could be others even worst reviews, but it does not tell anything about the quality of this particular one. This one is the longest I've found on YT so far, but than again I might be wrong. Does it mean it is worthwhile? It wasn't for me, it was for you so good for you mate :)

I don't have a problem if you do not agree with my opinion, I do not have to agree with yours as well, but let's do it in civilized way without using such manipulations please. Thank you in advance.

Now coming back to Mojo 2... I still have a few hours of waiting before receiving it. I plan to compare it with Mojo 1 (just like in the review we are talking about) and with Hugo TT2 (with and without M Scaler) and later connect it to the M Scaler (when right cable arrives). I also plan to first pair it with AQ NightOwls and NightHawks since both have tremendous synergy with Mojo 1. Would you agree with me on that? I would also compare it with Hugo 2 if I had one, but I dislike Hugo 2 sound signature hence I went with TT2 instead as steup from Mojo. Considering all the opinions in a sound signature change of Mojo 2 I'm excited and a bit worried at the same time I may not like it, since it seems to be closer to H2 than Mojo OG. The difference is I am not a pro reviewer and I do not back it up with any business model contrary to the author of the mentioned review.

As far as BiFrost is concerned let me explain my point of view: I have no opinion about it since I have never heard it and this is one of the points why I find such comparison rather weak. Schiit gear is not easily accessible for audition in EU hence I am not interested in it and probably are so other Mojo users living outside of US. Have you ever heard BiFrost next to both Mojos yourself I wonder? I'd love to hear your opinion.

Secondly BiFrost is not the only amp in the similar price range that has power desktop mode. Now back to waiting for Mojo 2 mode :wink:
I'm also not a fan of H2's sound. I don't have TT2, but that is an amazing DAC. To my ears, Mojo 2 sounds different enough to H2 that I love it, and would take it over H2 on sound alone. To me it takes takes the best sound attributes of Mojo 1 & H2 to be different, and for my preference, better than both. It'll be interesting to here your thoughts, especially Mojo 2 with M Scaler

Feb 8, 2022 at 12:17 PM Post #2,264 of 11,002
So for all those interested souls wondering about connecting Poly with Mojo 2, the v3 sticker on my Poly box said truth: v3 firmware has been installed before shipping the item to me:

1644340571301.png

Feb 8, 2022 at 12:21 PM Post #2,265 of 11,002
I'm also not a fan of H2's sound. I don't have TT2, but that is an amazing DAC. To my ears, Mojo 2 sounds different enough to H2 that I love it, and would take it over H2 on sound alone. To me it takes takes the best sound attributes of Mojo 1 & H2 to be different, and for my preference, better than both. It'll be interesting to here your thoughts, especially Mojo 2 with M Scaler
I own a Mscaler but not sure I will be going through the trouble of disconnecting it from DAVE to plug it into Mojo 2. Curious to hear what people think, however.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back