Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Mar 5, 2021 at 12:17 PM Post #41,222 of 42,788
Hey guys i have some thoughs about that DSD upscalling discussion. With my he-400i i have to use equalizer just to lower a little high frequencies. No matter if i upscale file or not its sound the same (without eq), but when i use eq its sound completly different with upscalling. So i think upscalling make dsp effects like equalizer sounds better? different? and i found that text from neutron faq:

"

Feature: All to DSD​

As we all know the analog sound has limitless resolution but in digital world data is limited by the resolution of its digital representation. The lower resolution the less data can be passed to the digital-to-analog converter (DAC) for the accurate generation of analog sound.
Modern DACs are sophisticated devices which operate with 32-bit resolution and some oversampling DACs use 64-bit math to improve SNR even more. While in majority of cases these DACs accept 32-bit integer data which provides theoretical 192.66 dB SNR ratio there is still limitation imposed by the necessity to convert the floating point data of the audio engine to the integer output format of the DAC. This conversion is causing the quantization error when the audio data resolution has to be decreased, for example: audio engine operates with 64-bit resolution and we must output to the DAC in 32-bit integer format which requires truncation and effectively it is a source of the quantization error.
To lower quantization error within the perceivable range of the frequencies (for the human) we can employ the output in DSD format which is highly oversampled 1-bit digital representation of the audio data. Due to high oversampling ratio we do not truncate data bits and therefore deliver audio in its full resolution.
Neutron's audio engine is capable of output to DSD. If you employ Equalizer of other DSP effects and audio hardware supports at least DSD64 then consider using this opportunity to increase the quality of the final sound and to make it more pleasant to your ears.
"

What do you think about that
I think you should do whatever makes you happy and sounds the best to you :smiley:

Mar 5, 2021 at 1:04 PM Post #41,223 of 42,788
What do you think about that
As you saw, the guys here + mister Watts (the Mojo designer) are advising not to do upsampling (not anything at all, not just to DSD). They are right for this, and that way (by not upsampling) you get most accurate and detailed sound from Mojo. That is true for any DAC that is portable to be honest. Chord has the best DACs, they sound most accurate. If you don't like it (not enough treble, or bass or anything really, means you don't like the sound as it being produced from recording companies. True for most recordings after 90s in my opinion (not Mojo problem), 80s are completely fine.).

Upsampling is giving you different coloration of the sound, if you like it, use it so. I listen at very loud levels, i like dark and softer sound, otherwise mids and treble are getting too much and damage your hearing (this is with any headphone at any DAC/amp, not Mojo specific). Thats why i like it with upsampling to DSD, does the magic for me, but it's not the best way to use Mojo. Don't upsample if you want get maximum details and most accurate sound.

The description from Neutron is right for generic DACs. The guys there are right as well. Just not for Mojo in this case with the upsampling (it is very famous audio device in the audio forums, though not so much sadly in every other circles). So...think about this too. Most people will use smartphones, tablets or DAPs with common DAC chips, the Neutron description is true for all that. Chord DACs are unique. Not in this category.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2021 at 1:55 PM Post #41,224 of 42,788
I've received two Mojos in a row (from Amazon) that were fully discharged upon arrival. I imagine they've been sitting on the shelf for a while. Anyway, neither of them will charge. I've tried 5 different USB chargers, several different USB A to Micro USB cables and get the same results. Here's what I've observed.
  • While off, the power LED / Charge indicator does not light up. I've left each connected to power for 24-48 hours with no luck and no charging
  • While connected to power, I can turn each on and the power LED / Charge indicator flashes red 2-3 times before turning solid white
  • I can use each while connected to power, no problem
  • If I turn them off while still connected to power, the power LED / Charge indicator turns off and will not turn back on unless the unit is powered back on
  • If I disconnect power after having been powered on and connected to power for several hours, each turn off immediately indicating they have 0 charge
I figured the first unit was simply faulty but it seems unlikely to receive two units in a row with the same defect. I'll also add that I can charge my Poly from the same USB chargers/cables with no issue. Is this a known behavior and if so, how can I get these Mojos to charge?
I received a 3rd mojo from a different vendor and it charges just fine. Looks like Amazon had a bad batch.

Mar 5, 2021 at 2:11 PM Post #41,226 of 42,788
As you saw, the guys here + mister Watts (the Mojo designer) are advising not to do upsampling (not anything at all, not just to DSD). They are right for this, and that way (by not upsampling) you get most accurate and detailed sound from Mojo. That is true for any DAC that is portable to be honest. Chord has the best DACs, they sound most accurate. If you don't like it (not enough treble, or bass or anything really, means you don't like the sound as it being produced from recording companies. True for most recordings after 90s in my opinion (not Mojo problem), 80s are completely fine.).

Upsampling is giving you different coloration of the sound, if you like it, use it so. I listen at very loud levels, i like dark and softer sound, otherwise mids and treble are getting too much and damage your hearing (this is with any headphone at any DAC/amp, not Mojo specific). Thats why i like it with upsampling to DSD, does the magic for me, but it's not the best way to use Mojo. Don't upsample if you want get maximum details and most accurate sound.

The description from Neutron is right for generic DACs. The guys there are right as well. Just not for Mojo in this case with the upsampling (it is very famous audio device in the audio forums, though not so much sadly in every other circles). So...think about this too. Most people will use smartphones, tablets or DAPs with common DAC chips, the Neutron description is true for all that. Chord DACs are unique. Not in this category.
Serious question and I am not trying to troll but how do you know what sounds accurate and what does not? Again I'm not trying to start an argument or anything just genuinely curious about how you feel about this.

Mar 5, 2021 at 2:14 PM Post #41,227 of 42,788
Serious question and I am not trying to troll but how do you know what sounds accurate and what does not? Again I'm not trying to start an argument or anything just genuinely curious about how you feel about this.
If Miles Davis sounds like he’s playing a piano then you may well have an issue with the accuracy of your system 🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2021 at 3:20 PM Post #41,229 of 42,788
Yes. As accurate i see the sound from the original recording. Most of the people in this hobby would like to get this. And this is why i wrote you have a recording from 80s for example, compare it with todays. Now you get too much loudness, you don't get sense of space and the instrument separation is bad. You have here and there OK sound, but most recordings in genres are just not well mastered.

Got to say, try to listen at a live concert recording from 80-90s. If it feels alive, and close to what you feel actually being in live concert, i consider it good and accurate enough. Mojo is doing that.

And need higher volume levels to feel it.

Wherever you heard live music while being close to the music perfomers, if you can get your music rig to sound close to that, then is accurate sounding. If you have been to metal/rock concert, opera or some native music, you already know how it should sound. Can't be the same, but just close to that. Think about this.

There are a lot of other factors, i get it. File quality, headphones, playets, cables.

Considering we get good quality audio files of a music we enjoy, transfer them to the DAC unchanged, we should get close to live sound. Not possible meybe, though many aspects you can get just right. Vocals, feel of space, crowd in background.

What is not accurate ? Well huge bass boost, very rolled off treble (like listening AM radio station from across the ocean), spark in the mids where you can't hear and focus on all other details, bass and treble. This is not accurate. So i see it.

You may not agree with this and that is fine.

Mar 5, 2021 at 3:50 PM Post #41,230 of 42,788
Yes. As accurate i see the sound from the original recording. Most of the people in this hobby would like to get this. And this is why i wrote you have a recording from 80s for example, compare it with todays. Now you get too much loudness, you don't get sense of space and the instrument separation is bad. You have here and there OK sound, but most recordings in genres are just not well mastered.

Got to say, try to listen at a live concert recording from 80-90s. If it feels alive, and close to what you feel actually being in live concert, i consider it good and accurate enough. Mojo is doing that.

And need higher volume levels to feel it.

Wherever you heard live music while being close to the music perfomers, if you can get your music rig to sound close to that, then is accurate sounding. If you have been to metal/rock concert, opera or some native music, you already know how it should sound. Can't be the same, but just close to that. Think about this.

There are a lot of other factors, i get it. File quality, headphones, playets, cables.

Considering we get good quality audio files of a music we enjoy, transfer them to the DAC unchanged, we should get close to live sound. Not possible meybe, though many aspects you can get just right. Vocals, feel of space, crowd in background.

What is not accurate ? Well huge bass boost, very rolled off treble (like listening AM radio station from across the ocean), spark in the mids where you can't hear and focus on all other details, bass and treble. This is not accurate. So i see it.

You may not agree with this and that is fine.
I totally understand today's recordings being over processed and I agree with you but if we are talking about the same recording played on a different DAC how do we know which one sounds the most accurate?

One might sound better to us for whatever reason but we could never know which one has the most accurate sounds as we don't know what the track sounded like in the recording studio.

The way you are describing it is that you just don't like modern heavily compressed music which will still sound heavily compressed whether it is played on a chord DAC or any other off the shelf.

I have a mojo poly and I love it so I am not criticising chord gear or anything.

Mar 5, 2021 at 4:37 PM Post #41,231 of 42,788
I totally understand today's recordings being over processed and I agree with you but if we are talking about the same recording played on a different DAC how do we know which one sounds the most accurate?

One might sound better to us for whatever reason but we could never know which one has the most accurate sounds as we don't know what the track sounded like in the recording studio.

The way you are describing it is that you just don't like modern heavily compressed music which will still sound heavily compressed whether it is played on a chord DAC or any other off the shelf.

Look it that way - listen to a live consert from whatever artist you like, see if come close to a live concert. If it does, its great and accurate. If it does not have sense for space, right vocal intonation (so to say when there is agression in metal one, have to feel the feelings of the artists performing the concert), then you probably don't have accurate sound from the DAC. Considering all else like files, headphones or speakers and players are fine (i guess you could ask same question for all devices in the chain, i would probably say 'fine' is what is described as 'reference' from the manifacturer).

You can try and listen one and same concert you choose with different DACs, you will see you get different presentation on the finer and small details. If no difference then i guess your DACs are all very good. I mean always portable gear in my comments, can't say for desktop ones, although i would 'test' them same way.

If you get this 'accurate' that i wrote for during listening recordings of live concerts, then you will also get 'as good as it gets' accurate sound in studio recordings and albums as well. So i see this.

Mar 5, 2021 at 5:13 PM Post #41,232 of 42,788
Look it that way - listen to a live consert from whatever artist you like, see if come close to a live concert. If it does, its great and accurate. If it does not have sense for space, right vocal intonation (so to say when there is agression in metal one, have to feel the feelings of the artists performing the concert), then you probably don't have accurate sound from the DAC. Considering all else like files, headphones or speakers and players are fine (i guess you could ask same question for all devices in the chain, i would probably say 'fine' is what is described as 'reference' from the manifacturer).

You can try and listen one and same concert you choose with different DACs, you will see you get different presentation on the finer and small details. If no difference then i guess your DACs are all very good. I mean always portable gear in my comments, can't say for desktop ones, although i would 'test' them same way.

If you get this 'accurate' that i wrote for during listening recordings of live concerts, then you will also get 'as good as it gets' accurate sound in studio recordings and albums as well. So i see this.

Billy Cobham Band - Live In Leverkusen is one of my go to live recordings.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2021 at 8:51 AM Post #41,234 of 42,788
Hey guys, sb using mojo with hifiman he-400i and could help me with eq? This is my currently eqalization. This is not killing mojo sound signature at all?
I mostly listening to acoustic, smoth jazz, rock, sometimes electronic.
32hz - +2.25dB
62hz - +1.2dB
125hz - -0.7dB
250hz - -1.2dB
1khz - +1dB
2khz - +2dB
4khz - +1.5dB
8khz - -3dB
16khz - +1.2dB

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210306-144331_Neutron Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20210306-144331_Neutron Player.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 6, 2021 at 9:33 AM Post #41,235 of 42,788
Hey guys, sb using mojo with hifiman he-400i and could help me with eq? This is my currently eqalization. This is not killing mojo sound signature at all?
I mostly listening to acoustic, smoth jazz, rock, sometimes electronic.
32hz - +2.25dB
62hz - +1.2dB
125hz - -0.7dB
250hz - -1.2dB
1khz - +1dB
2khz - +2dB
4khz - +1.5dB
8khz - -3dB
16khz - +1.2dB
What exactly do you need help with?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back