Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Apr 30, 2018 at 5:02 PM Post #36,287 of 42,788
To go back to my point what does everyone think of mojo's ability with regards to full scale orchestral music? Does it lack hugo2's capability to handle fast transients with this kind of music or is that nonsense?

To go back to my point what does everyone think of mojo's ability with regards to full scale orchestral music? Does it lack hugo2's capability to handle fast transients with this kind of music or is that nonsense?
Turkayguner already answered this question in full - but I did some comparison to home system, a 2k belt driven CD drive with a 4k Euro DAC from 2002, and think that could be another interesting data point.

Tonally, the Mojo and DAC/drive combo are very similar, but there are 3 obvious areas where the Mojo is distinctly different:
The soundstage is much deeper with the Mojo, Diana Krall in "Peel me a Grape" stands much further away, seeming almost a little distant compared to the more forward (and a bit more intimate) presentation from the DAC/drive. Mojo also positions the elements with much more precision in space.

Then there is a slightly faster response of the Mojo, a bit more foot-tapping rythm. I have a piece with really tough percussion music, in which the musicians are hitting metal pipes with (I guess) metal wrenches, a real challenge to reproduce realistically. My DAC/drive combo is doing that very well, but the Mojo is maybe a bit faster still.

And the third difference is orchestral music, and here the difference is pretty huge - in favor of the Mojo! It really keeps the elements separated MUCH better than the regular DAC/drive combo.
I have never heard the Hugo, but I am really impressed be Mojo's performance especially with orchestras.

I am starting to think about selling my big, heavy CD drive and DAC, and either getting a second Mojo for stationary use or something higher up the line from Chord.

Cheers!
PS: photos of the mighty Karan Acoustics KA 180i with the equally mighty Mojo and a humble but useful Cayin N3 as remote controllable source

F3398D94-3FEE-4A0E-982A-EC35707A7D51.jpeg
C1E7FB29-28FC-46D6-B360-E2A7AEBDC97D.jpeg

C1E7FB29-28FC-46D6-B360-E2A7AEBDC97D.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2018 at 11:53 PM Post #36,291 of 42,788
The Apple Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter, together with the bundled USB cable
works and sounds very musical

Never understood how a data cable can affect the sound but to each their own.

But a few pages ago we just discussed this and if you want something a bit more compact Penon Audio makes an all-in-one cable with original Apple CCK cables and mine has been working perfectly since July without any hiccups.

EDIT: spelling

May 1, 2018 at 2:50 AM Post #36,292 of 42,788
Which cables (that work with current iOS) would you recommend to connect Mojo to iPhone? Also, if you have available, let me know :)

Any pricier data cable will give you I guess better looks or reliability or portability but nothing more about audio quality.

An Apple CCK is a must if you won't get the extension module which is sold by Chord (the cable pack). It adds to portability if you are gonna use it with a mobile phone. But it also forces you to use Mojo without a case.

Any usb micro to standard usb will do. Shorter ones are better. If you can find a cable with a ferrite choke it is even better because it eliminates or reduces the noises coming from cellphone/wifi reception. You won't need a ferrite choke if you gonna use your phone in airplane mode. Ferrite chokes can be bought seperately. It is easy to install.

May 1, 2018 at 4:26 AM Post #36,293 of 42,788
Turkayguner already answered this question in full - but I did some comparison to home system, a 2k belt driven CD drive with a 4k Euro DAC from 2002, and think that could be another interesting data point.

Tonally, the Mojo and DAC/drive combo are very similar, but there are 3 obvious areas where the Mojo is distinctly different:
The soundstage is much deeper with the Mojo, Diana Krall in "Peel me a Grape" stands much further away, seeming almost a little distant compared to the more forward (and a bit more intimate) presentation from the DAC/drive. Mojo also positions the elements with much more precision in space.

Then there is a slightly faster response of the Mojo, a bit more foot-tapping rythm. I have a piece with really tough percussion music, in which the musicians are hitting metal pipes with (I guess) metal wrenches, a real challenge to reproduce realistically. My DAC/drive combo is doing that very well, but the Mojo is maybe a bit faster still.

And the third difference is orchestral music, and here the difference is pretty huge - in favor of the Mojo! It really keeps the elements separated MUCH better than the regular DAC/drive combo.
I have never heard the Hugo, but I am really impressed be Mojo's performance especially with orchestras.

I am starting to think about selling my big, heavy CD drive and DAC, and either getting a second Mojo for stationary use or something higher up the line from Chord.

Cheers!
PS: photos of the mighty Karan Acoustics KA 180i with the equally mighty Mojo and a humble but useful Cayin N3 as remote controllable source

link me the cable between the player and the mojo?

May 1, 2018 at 9:47 AM Post #36,295 of 42,788
Hi guys, a shout out to Matt for going the extra mile in assisting to get my Mojo serviced. It is up and running again.

Not forgetting all the members who have offered their thoughts and guidance. Thanks guys.

Cheers.

May 1, 2018 at 11:25 AM Post #36,296 of 42,788
Hi guys, a shout out to Matt for going the extra mile in assisting to get my Mojo serviced. It is up and running again.

Not forgetting all the members who have offered their thoughts and guidance. Thanks guys.

Cheers.
I also need to echo these sentiments.
It was with this forums members encouragement to follow up with Chord on
a battery issue and reaching out to my local
retailer (Music to my ear) to resolve this issue. The device is at the repair shop now and I’m eagerly awaiting its arrival!
Cheers!

May 1, 2018 at 2:41 PM Post #36,297 of 42,788
It worked without a hitch for me, up until the time the CCK2 started failing as a circumvention method. I guess it was probably a couple months and a hundred hours or so of listening, some 20+ connects/disconnects, before the iOS update came down that caused it to stop working.

My understanding is the CCK3 chip has a different means of indicated to iOS that it's a compliant device and that the newer cable is supposed to simulate that. Not sure what the 11.2.6 business mentioned above would be referring to thougn.

Just an update for the newer Meenova cable - has been working without issue over the past 24 hours. I've spent at least a few hours listening, plugged/unplugged a few times. It's so nice to be able to use my iPhone w/ Mojo again.

May 1, 2018 at 2:48 PM Post #36,298 of 42,788
An Apple CCK is a must if you won't get the extension module which is sold by Chord (the cable pack).

It's not. As mentioned a bit earlier in this thread there are a couple cables which trick the phone into believing the Mojo is a compliant device. This is the one I just picked up and it works great, plus it's about half the cost of a CCK

http://www.meenova.com/st/p/lgtnmuc.html

May 1, 2018 at 4:58 PM Post #36,299 of 42,788
It's not. As mentioned a bit earlier in this thread there are a couple cables which trick the phone into believing the Mojo is a compliant device. This is the one I just picked up and it works great, plus it's about half the cost of a CCK

I love this forum! Thanks for sharing this. I will use my Mojo with the Hiby R3, so I bought Shanling L2 cable for it. But if one day I come back to iPhone as a transport, I will buy the cable you have linked.

May 1, 2018 at 5:05 PM Post #36,300 of 42,788

OK, I've relented, and added the Meenova cable to the bottom of post #4 (because I can no longer edit posts #2 and #3) :)

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back