CHORD HUGO preview report
Mar 3, 2014 at 12:50 AM Post #496 of 519
Listened to it yesterday. Very, very good. An intricate presentation of music. The light colours are a little confusing but all in all, amazing. I'd call it musical, but not coloured - at least not immediately apparently coloured, but there's something going on in the way it presents details and timbre.

Didn't try an external amp, but the on-board amp drove an hd800 as well as it did a pair of xba-40's.

Now all i need is money...

Mar 23, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #497 of 519
Great review.  Can you please help.  I have the AK120 with RSA blackbird and its good, but I know there is better out there.  I am contemplating buying the AK240 and selling the AK120.  However having read reviews on the Cord Hugo I am more than interested in this lovely device.   Would the AK120 sound as superior to the AK240 with the Hugo.  Then of course i want the headphones, which will be high end as well and from what you say the Hugo is more than capable.   The AK240 is horribly expensive!

Regards Spitfire

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:38 PM Post #499 of 519
Mar 25, 2014 at 1:43 AM Post #501 of 519
Thanks...

I did not have a hi-grade optical tos-link interconnect from AK240 -> Hugo. Was using the default one that was provided by Hugo, so my AK240 was limited to 24/96 output as transport. Not sure if the experience could have been different for higher quality files, but basically if you are listening mostly to redbook CD quality then the difference is not very significant unless you have special golden ears and even then I doubt you can hear much of a difference. The main difference kicks in when you need to drive high impedance headphones which then Hugo gives a better SQ with its more powerful amp.

Mar 25, 2014 at 1:53 AM Post #502 of 519

I did not have a hi-grade optical tos-link interconnect from AK240 -> Hugo. Was using the default one that was provided by Hugo, so my AK240 was limited to 24/96 output as transport. Not sure if the experience could have been different for higher quality files, but basically if you are listening mostly to redbook CD quality then the difference is not very significant unless you have special golden ears and even then I doubt you can hear much of a difference. The main difference kicks in when you need to drive high impedance headphones which then Hugo gives a better SQ with its more powerful amp.

In that case, probably it's far better (or should say economic) to just hook up an external portable amp with the AK240 instead of using it as transport to Hogo? 

Mar 25, 2014 at 2:53 AM Post #503 of 519
  In that case, probably it's far better (or should say economic) to just hook up an external portable amp with the AK240 instead of using it as transport to Hogo? 

Well definitely if you already own an AK240. Using it as a transport to Hugo is a waste of money since you are bypassing its excellent DAC+Amp (you are only using its UI which is very good but there are cheaper options out there if it is just for the UI) and you also cannot benefit from its native DSD playback using it as a transport.

Before you go buying and hooking up AK240 with an external amp, maybe you can try RWAK120-B + balanced external amp (if you already own RWAK120-B), but I really don't want to go back to AK120's laggy UI after having AK240. 
happy_face1.gif
 Not sure if AK240's dual CS4398s + a good balanced amp will beat RWAK120-B's dual WM8741s + the same amp since I do not have RWAK120-B and have not audition it before. Will need to ask someone that owns both to do such an A-B test (maybe @Vinnie R. can help us once he gets down to it since he owns both). @rudi0504 has both AK240 and Titan-Mod but I think he has only done a single-ended setup.

Portability is another issue when stacking multiple devices. Depending on your preference, you may/may not want to bring along more than 1 device. IMO AK240 alone is good enough for the noisy outdoor/on-the-go environment use with IEMs since I tend to travel without a bag and do not like the idea of carrying multiple devices. Having 1 DAP in addition to my mobile phone is already the limit I can settle with.

Mar 26, 2014 at 2:07 AM Post #504 of 519
I had the pleasure of listening to the Chord Hugo at the SoCal Head-fi meet with Audeze LCD-3 or LCD-X which one I can't remember sadly. Either way they sounded absolutely incredible and to my disbelief such a large sound was coming out of a tiny little thing. The product is pimped out with cool lights that change every time you move up to another volume with the scroll wheel. This product really changes the game when it comes to portable audio and I sure wish I could shell out that amount.. Off to Vegas! haha

Apr 24, 2014 at 6:45 PM Post #508 of 519
Thanks AN, but I'll hold off on more impressions until I get some solid time on this combination. I really like the Hugo, but it has copped a battering from certain forum warriors for its form factor, battery powered operation and price point : their loss, particularly when many of them have never even heard it.

Apr 24, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #509 of 519
I am really interested in seen how it pairs with HD800. The only reason why I have avoided HD800 for so long is that the fear of getting it will open up a whole new world of high end amp that I basically cannot risk getting into.

I am not a person who listens at high volumes but I do like my music detailed, can the HUGO allow HD800 to come close to its full potential performance?

I have a local hifi shop near me who have a HD800 for audition, early impression was very positive but I cannot trust my ears for such a short trial as I believe anyone who hears the HD800 for the very first time will be moved by it certainly. 

Apr 24, 2014 at 7:15 PM Post #510 of 519
  I am really interested in seen how it pairs with HD800. The only reason why I have avoided HD800 for so long is that the fear of getting it will open up a whole new world of high end amp that I basically cannot risk getting into.

I am not a person who listens at high volumes but I do like my music detailed, can the HUGO allow HD800 to come close to its full potential performance?

I have a local hifi shop near me who have a HD800 for audition, early impression was very positive but I cannot trust my ears for such a short trial as I believe anyone who hears the HD800 for the very first time will be moved by it certainly. 

You're a wise man.  I've been there.  I will say if you get the HD800 you will be so very tempted by the high end.  But having been there, I can tell you it is possible to go there then retire to a more modest yet satisfying setup.

Anyway, re your question, only you can answer it for yourself.  I gotta believe the HD800 + Hugo is an amazing experience.  But will it match up to a Chord QBD76 DSD + HeadAmp GSX-II?  Dunno, but I doubt it.  I say this from experience in similar situations with similar analogous gear.

Personally, I say just buy the HD800 and tell yourself (a) you've got 90-95% of anything you'll ever have with your Hugo and (b) it'll cost you thousands of dollars to get that last bit and be done with it.

Then join the rest of us by getting a Stax 009 and BHSE :D

Best,

-Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

Back