Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jun 10, 2023 at 6:21 AM Post #22,066 of 22,475
I second the advice of @technobear . Email support@chordelectronics.co.uk and see what they propose.
Don't know about 2Go, I don't have a use for it.
But, what's the competition?
- a portable, OK transportable DAC, with about 0.7W output, that beats the sound of the Hugo2.
That would be my only criteria. For me there isn't any.
But if you are into BT and LDAC, wifi streaming, or a desktop DAC with few watts of power, then YES! you can find cheaper stuff.

Jun 10, 2023 at 12:31 PM Post #22,067 of 22,475
Don't know about 2Go, I don't have a use for it.
But, what's the competition?
- a portable, OK transportable DAC, with about 0.7W output, that beats the sound of the Hugo2.
That would be my only criteria. For me there isn't any.
But if you are into BT and LDAC, wifi streaming, or a desktop DAC with few watts of power, then YES! you can find cheaper stuff.
Were you intending to reply to @Hoegaardener70 instead?

Jun 11, 2023 at 9:59 AM Post #22,070 of 22,475
Hi! Is it still worth buying the Hugo2 and 2go combination in 2023? I know that the Hugo2 was great at its release but … it is expensive. And the 2go tech specs seemed outdated even upon release. But what would be the alternatives? Or still worth spending 3k+? Thanks
Can’t comment on the 2go. Re the Hugo2, I use Neutron player on my DAP to apply PEQ in the digital domain, export to Hugo2 via coax which acts as the DAC and amp for my HD800 and, frankly, it’s pretty close to endgame. Astonishing transparency, grip and imaging, and none of the analytical character you might expect. Very natural and convincing.

Jun 11, 2023 at 5:51 PM Post #22,071 of 22,475
The 2Go doesn't have much CPU Power. The Data and Network share the same bus, so it's not surprising that noise would make an appearance when you enable/disable WIFI.

Minimum requirements for my sources is at least they can run low latency realtime kernels, otherwise it's not of much use. Above average sounding is cool, but Chord DACs scale so well with premium sources / chains.

Mojo₂ instead of a 2Go makes more budgetary sense to me if your just going for Above average.

The rule is if it's not a Rob Watts Project, even if it's Chord, easy punt / pass.

Anyways, I'm going to start to assemble Super Capacitors for 24/7 Desktop Mode 5V operation for Hugo₂ this Summer. I'll report back after Independence Day how it behaves.

1686519984640.png

1686520095971.png

Jun 12, 2023 at 1:45 AM Post #22,072 of 22,475
Hi! Is it still worth buying the Hugo2 and 2go combination in 2023? I know that the Hugo2 was great at its release but … it is expensive. And the 2go tech specs seemed outdated even upon release. But what would be the alternatives? Or still worth spending 3k+? Thanks

A dongle connected to your phone would make a fine alternative these days.

Jun 12, 2023 at 3:00 AM Post #22,073 of 22,475
The 2Go doesn't have much CPU Power. The Data and Network share the same bus, so it's not surprising that noise would make an appearance when you enable/disable WIFI.

Minimum requirements for my sources is at least they can run low latency realtime kernels, otherwise it's not of much use. Above average sounding is cool, but Chord DACs scale so well with premium sources / chains.

Mojo₂ instead of a 2Go makes more budgetary sense to me if your just going for Above average.

The rule is if it's not a Rob Watts Project, even if it's Chord, easy punt / pass.

Anyways, I'm going to start to assemble Super Capacitors for 24/7 Desktop Mode 5V operation for Hugo₂ this Summer. I'll report back after Independence Day how it behaves.

1686519984640.png

1686520095971.png
You sir have a severe case of OCD.

Jun 12, 2023 at 5:48 AM Post #22,074 of 22,475
When I need a portable rig, I use a Cowon Plenue R2 with Hugo2:

Just one shortcoming - the PR2 only outputs 44.1k on optical. Other sample rates are resampled to 44.1k. A minor annoyance as those files are a very small proportion of my music collection anyway.

The case is an iFi Audio iTraveller. The optical cable is made up of Chinese offerings garnered from Amazon.

Jun 12, 2023 at 5:22 PM Post #22,077 of 22,475
When I need a portable rig, I use a Cowon Plenue R2 with Hugo2:

Just one shortcoming - the PR2 only outputs 44.1k on optical. Other sample rates are resampled to 44.1k. A minor annoyance as those files are a very small proportion of my music collection anyway.

The case is an iFi Audio iTraveller. The optical cable is made up of Chinese offerings garnered from Amazon.
I had not heard of the iTraveller carry case before, looks like a must have for me. thanks for sharing.

Jun 13, 2023 at 5:46 AM Post #22,078 of 22,475
Anyone using Hugo 2 with nowadays TOTL IEMs like Mentor, Jewel, Odyssey, XE6?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back