Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
May 19, 2023 at 3:12 PM Post #22,036 of 22,475
I want or power my high efficiency Lowther DX55 driver based rethm loudspeakers directly from Hugo2. I’ve already had amazing sound from neat acoustics elites that I also have.
What is the best way to terminate speaker wires to the rca outputs?
Currently I am using cheap long rca cables.
Thank you for your help.
Connectors like this, one per channel.

May 20, 2023 at 3:11 AM Post #22,037 of 22,475
my Hugo2 glitches every few minutes when plugging into MacBook M1 through micro-usb-C cable, seems like the sample rate function switches automatically and it's kinda annoying as the sound is off for 0.2 - 0.5 second.

I tried setting it at different sample rates via Audio Midi (the default application on Mac) but the problem won't go away. I don't see this problem when tested on other windows laptops.

Any advice guys ?

May 20, 2023 at 6:36 AM Post #22,038 of 22,475
my Hugo2 glitches every few minutes when plugging into MacBook M1 through micro-usb-C cable, seems like the sample rate function switches automatically and it's kinda annoying as the sound is off for 0.2 - 0.5 second.

I tried setting it at different sample rates via Audio Midi (the default application on Mac) but the problem won't go away. I don't see this problem when tested on other windows laptops.

Any advice guys ?
The forbidden fruit!
:scream:

May 20, 2023 at 7:34 AM Post #22,039 of 22,475

Any advice guys ?
Could be your Audio Midi settings causing resampling.
I think a lot of Mac users prefer Neutron or Audirvana as the music player.
Search this thread (or the Mojo or Mojo2 threads) using keywords like Midi or Neutron or Audirvana, and you will probably find quite a few links where owners mention the issue and how they solved it.

For example:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cho...ing-on-page-95-of-thread.885405/post-17291836

Last edited:
May 20, 2023 at 10:56 AM Post #22,040 of 22,475

Any advice guys ?
You didn't mention what app you are using. If you are using the default Music app, @miketlse's advice is spot on!!

May 20, 2023 at 11:02 AM Post #22,041 of 22,475
You didn't mention what app you are using. If you are using the default Music app, @miketlse's advice is spot on!!
my issue happens with Apple Music, Youtube music, Spotify and even .wav files played through IINA app

but the funny thing is it runs flawlessly on my Dell XPS & Samsung Galaxy phone; even on my ancient iMac 2009

Last edited:
May 20, 2023 at 4:17 PM Post #22,042 of 22,475
I want or power my high efficiency Lowther DX55 driver based rethm loudspeakers directly from Hugo2. I’ve already had amazing sound from neat acoustics elites that I also have.
What is the best way to terminate speaker wires to the rca outputs?
Currently I am using cheap long rca cables.
Thank you for your help.

I’m using these with good results.
Bought them on a whim thinking I’d probably upgrade later if Hugo 2 can power my speakers.
It can and no need to upgrade. They’re good cables.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08L15DR9X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jun 5, 2023 at 3:57 PM Post #22,043 of 22,475
...has anyone ever admired the beautiful patterns it projects to the ceiling in an otherwise dark room...?

IMG_1673.jpeg

Jun 5, 2023 at 4:02 PM Post #22,044 of 22,475
...has anyone ever admired the beautiful patterns it projects to the ceiling in an otherwise dark room...?

IMG_1673.jpeg
Yes, as well as the dots over the buttons, you get a nice projected crescent from the on board sample rate LED. The 96khz green is particularly nice!

Jun 5, 2023 at 4:38 PM Post #22,045 of 22,475

Any advice guys ?
Use a dongle + a good USB A -> micro USB cable. Those USB C -> Micro USB are kind of low quality in general. Do you have a link to the cable you are using?

Jun 6, 2023 at 3:35 AM Post #22,046 of 22,475
Hello everyone o/
Been looking at a lot of reviews and still not clear about all that.
Is it really better than a lowered priced dac like the fiio k7 for desktop use? (can add the pl50 to it also)
I know the main difference is one is portable while the other is not but i am not sure from what i read that there is a difference in sound quality.
The k7 has balanced output but from it's not really worth it anyway for iems.

Jun 6, 2023 at 4:11 AM Post #22,047 of 22,475
Hello everyone o/
Is it really better than a lowered priced dac like the fiio k7 for desktop use? (can add the pl50 to it also)
I know the main difference is one is portable while the other is not but i am not sure from what i read that there is a difference in sound quality.
The honest answer is no not really, if you have to ask the question, certainly not 10x better.

If you do splash the cash and go with the Hugo 2 then don't compare it to anything cheaper because you will probably be disappointed, but if you buy the Hugo 2 and are happy in your bubble as I am then its all good.

Jun 6, 2023 at 6:43 AM Post #22,048 of 22,475
Hello everyone o/
Well I have a Topping DX7 pro , which is supposed to be a super-duper DAC with all bells and whistles, and frankly, . . it is! can not fault it.
In a nutshell, I prefer the sound of my Hugo2, used as a desktop.
I keep telling myself, I can not trust my ears, it is some kind of bias I have, blah blah.
But time after time, Hugo2 sounds better to me.
But I hardly ever use mine as desktop DAC! why?
- I use the Hugo2 as a portable with my headphones and my phone, a lot.
- The improvements are not huge enough for me to go through the hassle of hooking it up.
So I use the Topping for desktop duties almost all of the time!
Frankly if I was to choose a DAC for desktop only! I would not have picked the Hugo2, I can get similar sounding at half the price.
So there's your answer

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2023 at 8:04 AM Post #22,049 of 22,475
Ok so here’s my Hugo 2 story guys. Since it’s release my Hugo 2 has been my main and only DAC. I travel with it and use it at work as a portable, use it hooked up to my Mac in my desktop setup, use it with my iPad and iPhone and in my home theater system with my KEF Reference 1 speakers and lastly hooked to my Trafomatic Head 2 amp. I use it with all my headphones and IEMs. Haven’t compared it to any other DACs honestly but for me it's priceless for its versatility and it sounds awesome. I keep telling myself that one day I’ll invest in a main DAC. But I feel like this is the one audio investment where I’ve truly gotten my money’s worth. Of course as in all things YMMV.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2023 at 10:32 AM Post #22,050 of 22,475
Ok so here’s my Hugo2 story guys. Since it’s release my Hugo2 has been my main and only DAC. I travel with it and use it at work as a portable, use it hooked up to my Mac in my desktop setup, use it with my iPad and iPhone and in my home theater system with my KEF Reference 1 speakers and lastly hooked to my Trafomatic Head 2 amp. I use it with all my headphones and IEMs. Haven’t compared it to any other DACs honestly but for me it's priceless for its versatility and it sounds awesome. I keep telling myself that one day I’ll invest in a main DAC. But I feel like this is the one audio investment where I’ve truly gotten my money’s worth. Of course as in all things YMMV.
The Hugo 2 was my main DAC before I got my Dave. It's been connected to every amp I've owned up until then and has worked very well with all of them. If I hadn't moved up to the Dave, I would still be using it as my primary DAC today. It's that good of a device with outstanding versatility.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back