Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Apr 28, 2023 at 9:15 AM Post #22,021 of 22,522
Hey everyone I have a question about RCA socket's sturdiness, I just got an external amp to play with my H2 and got some monoprice RCA cables for it. I've used some other cables on my H2 before, and usually, they go in smoothly, these go in tightly. To the point that I had to put some muscle on it for them to budge in. How concerning it is in the long run? Considering that I may disconnect them from time to time to use the internal output stage of my H2?
I am way more worried about the micro USB which is not exactly an ideal USB input in 2023 in my opinion

Apr 28, 2023 at 4:33 PM Post #22,022 of 22,522
Hey everyone I have a question about RCA socket's sturdiness, I just got an external amp to play with my H2 and got some monoprice RCA cables for it. I've used some other cables on my H2 before, and usually, they go in smoothly, these go in tightly. To the point that I had to put some muscle on it for them to budge in. How concerning it is in the long run? Considering that I may disconnect them from time to time to use the internal output stage of my H2?
They may break! don't do it. pull the wings back a little using fine nosed pliers.
The RCA's are only soldered to the board and not bolted to the case.
H2's are pretty expensive, one needs to be gentle and careful with them.

Apr 28, 2023 at 5:05 PM Post #22,023 of 22,522
They may break! don't do it. pull the wings back a little using fine nosed pliers.
The RCA's are only soldered to the board and not bolted to the case.
H2's are pretty expensive, one needs to be gentle and careful with them.
Ended up discarding the cable and got some Audioquest RCA instead, snug fit but smooth. It did feel wrong one time while hooking the other cables (my hand was shaky after that!!) but all good. Honestly, I never unplug the RCA (thought I would) if I want to use the headphone socket from the H2 I just turn off or lower the volume of my amp.

I do think that those connectors should've been held by a tab at least. They feel very flimsy. But they held. hopefully, I'll never have any issues.

Thank you all for the comments!!

Apr 28, 2023 at 5:09 PM Post #22,024 of 22,522
I am way more worried about the micro USB which is not exactly an ideal USB input in 2023 in my opinion
Personally, I don't really mind but I do see why this might be an issue. I think it'll be updated on Hugo 3, considering what happened with Mojo 2, so, yeah maybe in the next few... years? who knows.

May 2, 2023 at 1:01 PM Post #22,025 of 22,522
Hey, have you seen that PDF of the Hugo2 manual that differs from the one in the box ? It's the one that says that the incisive neutral filter is "Dave" and the warm filter is "Mojo". Is that legit or did some idiot mock that up ? So weird.

May 2, 2023 at 1:02 PM Post #22,026 of 22,522
Personally, I don't really mind but I do see why this might be an issue. I think it'll be updated on Hugo 3, considering what happened with Mojo 2, so, yeah maybe in the next few... years? who knows.
Yeah. Well I hope they ditch it completely and not do that Frankenstein job they did on Mojo 2. I know it's the whole compatibility thing with the 2Go/Poly but even so, just make a USB C 2Go and EOL the old ones.

I've had microUSB's break on me before, and it always feels like you're fighting with them even when you have it the right way around, so they just make me nervous.

Last edited:
May 10, 2023 at 11:12 PM Post #22,027 of 22,522
if it helps anyone, I am using a USB powered DDC between the DAP and Hugo2 and saw noticeable improvement over using the coax of the DAP, or USB directly. I bought the DDC from aliexpress, it has a femtosecond clock inside. The improvements are noticeable in terms of clarity and depth of soundstage, overall texture of the sound has improved. It feels like a veil was lifted.

not all DAP coax implementations are the same. I am using a Hiby player. Perhaps AK or Ibasso players have better coax output. Nevertheless, investing in a DDC seems to pay off. Setup shown below.

Attachments

• IMG_0084.jpeg
    IMG_0084.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
May 11, 2023 at 12:07 AM Post #22,028 of 22,522
if it helps anyone, I am using a USB powered DDC between the DAP and Hugo2 and saw noticeable improvement over using the coax of the DAP, or USB directly. I bought the DDC from aliexpress, it has a femtosecond clock inside. The improvements are noticeable in terms of clarity and depth of soundstage, overall texture of the sound has improved. It feels like a veil was lifted.

not all DAP coax implementations are the same. I am using a Hiby player. Perhaps AK or Ibasso players have better coax output. Nevertheless, investing in a DDC seems to pay off. Setup shown below.
If there's a battery-powered DDC or iPurifier2 I'd jump on it so quick...

May 11, 2023 at 2:08 AM Post #22,029 of 22,522

Could you share the link? SMSL also has a DDC and I am really interested in that.

May 11, 2023 at 2:32 AM Post #22,030 of 22,522
May 19, 2023 at 2:27 PM Post #22,031 of 22,522
I’m thinking about buying a 2Go. Can someone please advise if there is EQ options in Gofigure or elsewhere when using 2Go+Hugo2. Thanks.

May 19, 2023 at 2:34 PM Post #22,033 of 22,522
No EQ in either of them. The only option would be to use a music app to EQ, before you stream the music to 2Go.
Thanks so much for the replay. I would primarily be using the SD cards so I’m out of luck.

May 19, 2023 at 2:40 PM Post #22,035 of 22,522
I want or power my high efficiency Lowther DX55 driver based rethm loudspeakers directly from Hugo2. I’ve already had amazing sound from neat acoustics elites that I also have.
What is the best way to terminate speaker wires to the rca outputs?
Currently I am using cheap long rca cables.
Thank you for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back