Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Dec 6, 2022 at 8:12 PM Post #21,556 of 22,500
Has anyone compared the Hugo 2 + 2go against other dac/streamer combos under $2k (used)? I have LOVED the Hugo 2, it's been absolutely excellent, but I'm 100% using this solution at home, so it's a bit less than ideal--mainly because of the thermal overheating at times.

Is anyone aware of what may be a competitive, similar level of sound. Mainly talking about level of detail, resolution and transients--not tonality. Something with an absolute neutral or even warmer tonality would be totally welcome. Not looking for an upgrade in sound either, as this is for a temporary speaker setup until I move into a more permanent house.

Currently my eye is on a used NAD C-658. This is going to be a one and done purchase, no additional tinkering or swapping out, so any recommendations or perspective if you've heard/owned others in similar range would be much appreciated. :)

Dec 9, 2022 at 2:58 AM Post #21,558 of 22,500
Since some time my H2 does not power up unless supplied with external power. Once running, I can remove the external power and it goes on fine. Could it be a voltage drop in the batteries and replacing them would cure the issue?
Contact Ed at Chord Support he may be able to answer your question or else suggest it be returned to your dealer for repair.

That said you could get new batteries and try that, they are not too expensive, if you can DIY and if it doesn't fix it you still have newer longer lasting batteries installed.

Dec 9, 2022 at 8:11 AM Post #21,560 of 22,500
Contact Ed at Chord Support he may be able to answer your question or else suggest it be returned to your dealer for repair.

That said you could get new batteries and try that, they are not too expensive, if you can DIY and if it doesn't fix it you still have newer longer lasting batteries installed.
Thank you, I already ordered a new set of batteries, assuming the fitting plugs are XH 2.54 - will take it from there.

Dec 9, 2022 at 11:18 AM Post #21,561 of 22,500
How long have you all had your hugo 2s? Should I expect to only have this for a year or two before the battery dies or does it last longer? Is there a way to use it without batteries plugged in constantly like in the old mojo?

Dec 9, 2022 at 11:28 AM Post #21,562 of 22,500
How long have you all had your hugo 2s? Should I expect to only have this for a year or two before the battery dies or does it last longer? Is there a way to use it without batteries plugged in constantly like in the old mojo?
The batteries will last a very long time, I only replaced mine because I lost around 1h of usage from a full charge and as they were not too expensive and available I thought why not. I don't seem to get the advertised battery life even with the new batteries though but its better now.

I wouldn't use it without batteries though, it has a good desktop mode if you are worried about the batteries but even if new batteries are not available, (unlikely) they are basically 18650 cells with a protection circuit so it really is very simple to DIY a pair.

Dec 9, 2022 at 11:45 AM Post #21,563 of 22,500
2 years, still good.

Dec 10, 2022 at 3:08 PM Post #21,564 of 22,500
Hey everyone! I have a question about "usage habits".

I'm using my Hugo2 mostly as a desktop unit since I already have Mojo/Poly. I've seen mixed responses about the matter at different times in this thread. Should I just simply have my Hugo2 ON all the time?

Some days I use it for 2+ hours, other days not at all. So, if I started using it I leave it on basically the whole day up until I'm moving away from my setup.

Dec 10, 2022 at 6:00 PM Post #21,565 of 22,500

I'm using my Hugo2 mostly as a desktop unit since I already have Mojo/Poly. I've seen mixed responses about the matter at different times in this thread. Should I just simply have my Hugo2 ON all the time?

Some days I use it for 2+ hours, other days not at all. So, if I started using it I leave it on basically the whole day up until I'm moving away from my setup.
I would suggest to keep it plugged in, ir will then after 24 hrs go into desktop mode and in long term save the batteries, when you occasionally use on tje go just unplug and enjoy and ones done plug back in again, beleive this is how it was intended. And if you the know you wont use it for a few days the just power off.

Dec 10, 2022 at 6:08 PM Post #21,566 of 22,500

That’s what I still wonder as I use it the same way. Not that much well thought through. Once I was told by chord that if it’s not in use for more than 6h it’s better to turn it off. I tried keeping it on for 2 or 3 days and it’s just been warmer than normal. On the other hand when you keep turning it off in desktop mode it charges to 100% and discharges to 80% every time, which is also not ideal…

Dec 10, 2022 at 7:56 PM Post #21,568 of 22,500
Dec 11, 2022 at 1:23 AM Post #21,570 of 22,500
Stand the Hugo2 on it’s side so that it is having maximum surface area exposed with ventilation. I wonder also if the leather case contributes to heat retention.

At this price level, other than sonic personal preferences or if you require the power to drive headphones obtained from a desktop unit there isn’t really much better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back