Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Oct 23, 2022 at 3:32 PM Post #21,362 of 22,475
This is a generic issue that can crop up with usb cables.
@Rob Watts has posted in the past that some usb cables on the market, do not meet the official usb standard. The plugs can be usb compliant, but sometimes the wiring is too high resistance causing too great a voltage/current drop along the cable - the result being that charging can be reduced or prevented altogether.
Thanks for the info everyone.
I’ve been experimenting with different chargers (all 2.4A+) and cables (all supposedly rated 2A+ or “high speed charging”) and the cables are indeed the variable: Some work, some don’t.
With any of the chargers and the right cable things are working as expected: I get the 2A charge indicator, the Hugo2 fully charges, no flashing lights, and desktop mode activates when it should.

Oct 23, 2022 at 3:53 PM Post #21,363 of 22,475
Fun side note: Last night I turned off the lights and put a live classical music recording on the Hugo 2 with my Fostex TH909s.
There was about 10 seconds of hall ambience and when the conductor took a deep breath before the music started I jump scared and screamed a little 😂
My brain thought someone was in my room.
I’ve been tweaking and upgrading audio gear for decades but I’ve never jump scared before.
This thing is amazing.

Oct 23, 2022 at 4:18 PM Post #21,364 of 22,475
Fun side note: Last night I turned off the lights and put a live classical music recording on the Hugo 2 with my Fostex TH909s.
There was about 10 seconds of hall ambience and when the conductor took a deep breath before the music started I jump scared and screamed a little 😂
My brain thought someone was in my room.
I’ve been tweaking and upgrading audio gear for decades but I’ve never jump scared before.
This thing is amazing.
Sometimes I connect my Koss electrostats to my Hugo2, and there are some recordings where it also feels like there is someone else in the room.

Oct 23, 2022 at 8:09 PM Post #21,365 of 22,475
OK let's try and help. :relaxed:

Occasionally there are posts on the Chord threads from owners who have also experienced the metal contact plate slipping out of position, but once the plate is relocated the 'click' returns and the switch works correctly again.
Maybe I can find one of those posts, and post the link.

The unusual element in your case, is that having got the ball/switch to work again, that none of the other balls seem to work now.
I think that like @Kentajalli I am fearing that in the worst case scenario, you may have accidently shorted one of the contacts, and damaged the Hugo2.

However that is a worst case fear, and may not correspond to reality.
You mention that you contacted Chord, but have not received a reply.
That is unusual because normally their support responds quickly:
  • How long ago did you contact Chord?
  • Did you email to support@chordelectronics.co.uk ? Occasionally owners post to Chord cables by mistake, and wonder why they receive no reply.
@Mojo ideas and @Rob Watts you have a previously happy Chord owner, currently stuck in Azerbaijan and feeling a bit isolated. Do you have any suggestions about why his Hugo2 is now unresponsive, or what the best way forward would be?
:relaxed:
Hi,
thank you for the detailed response. I contacted Chord via a form at the website and received an automatic confirmation that my question was going to be addressed within 48 hours (it was on September 23). I also was invited to write at support@chordelectronics.co.uk if the response is delayed. Now I sent a reminder. My local Chord guarantee was valid for one year and expired by the time this event happened.

Oct 24, 2022 at 11:14 AM Post #21,367 of 22,475
Was curious if I could get the advice of any engineers here. So, I've owned my Hugo 2 for a about a year now. I've really enjoyed it as a dac, but I've had to send it back a few times for repair due to the Dac randomly not playing any sound. I either have to switch to another audio device, play audio for a few seconds then switch back to the Hugo 2 on my computer and in a few seconds audio will start playing again. Otherwise, I just restart the unit. I've sent it back to Steve at the Service Department in Connecticut. The first time he received it he was able to put a completely new board inside the device. The device worked fine for a bit then I start having these issues of the audio randomly not playing. In the past the Hugo 2 would make this loud static noise (the same sound an old TV would make when you would land on a channel that you didn't have). I would be forced to restart the device to make it stop making that noise. That sounds seems to be gone now completely which is good. But, I can't figure out why my audio seems to cut out randomly with the Hugo 2 when I have a new board in it. Steve ran test at his place and said the device passed all his test in terms of the voltage & that he wasn't able to replicate the same issues that I've had. I'm going to send the device back in to see what can be done. Could this have anything to do with the battery in this device, or is something else potentially the culprit? I always hear a sound like something is switching off right before the sound cuts off. It's similar to the sound electronics make when you have a power outage, but the Hugo 2 is clearly on. My device is always well charged too. The cutoff happens with all outputs, and the Hugo 2 is the only device in my chain that does this. My Rotel Integrated amp/dac doesn't do this, neither did the dacs that I have owned before. This is about the 3rd/4th time I have sent this device in for repairs now. Steve has been great to work with, and I hate having to bother him about the same issue.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2022 at 11:26 AM Post #21,368 of 22,475
Was curious if I could get the advice of any engineers here. So, I've owned my Hugo 2 for an about a year now. I've really enjoyed it as a dac, but I've had to send it back a few times for repair due to the Dac randomly not playing any sound. I either have to switch to another audio device, play audio for a few seconds then switch back to the Hugo 2 on my computer and in a few seconds audio will start playing again. Otherwise, I just restart the unit. I've sent it back to Steve at the Service Department in Connecticut. The first time he received it he was able to put a completely new board inside the device. The device worked fine for a bit then I start having these issues of the audio randomly not playing. In the past the Hugo 2 would make this loud static noise (the same sound an old TV would make when you would land on a channel that you didn't have). I would be forced to restart the device to make it stop making that noise. That sounds seems to be gone now completely which is good. But, I can't figure out why my audio seems to cut out randomly with the Hugo 2 when I have a new board in it. Steve ran test at his place and said the device passed all his test in terms of the voltage & that he wasn't able to replicate the same issues that I've had. I'm going to send the device back in to see what can be done. Could this have anything to do with the battery in this device, or is something else potentially the culprit? I always hear a sound like something is switching off right before the sound cuts off. It's similar to the sound electronics make when you have a power outage, but the Hugo 2 is clearly on. My device is always well charged too. The cutoff happens with all outputs, and the Hugo 2 is the only device in my chain that does this. My Rotel Integrated amp/dac doesn't do this, neither did the dacs that I have owned before. This is about the 3rd/4th time I have sent this device in for repairs now. Steve has been great to work with, and I hate having to bother him about the same issue.
I’ve had my Hugo2 since initial release in like 2017 and it’s never had any issues at all. I don’t use it a lot though.

Oct 24, 2022 at 12:51 PM Post #21,369 of 22,475
Was curious if I could get the advice of any engineers here. So, I've owned my Hugo 2 for a about a year now. I've really enjoyed it as a dac, but I've had to send it back a few times for repair due to the Dac randomly not playing any sound. I either have to switch to another audio device, play audio for a few seconds then switch back to the Hugo 2 on my computer and in a few seconds audio will start playing again. Otherwise, I just restart the unit. I've sent it back to Steve at the Service Department in Connecticut. The first time he received it he was able to put a completely new board inside the device. The device worked fine for a bit then I start having these issues of the audio randomly not playing. In the past the Hugo 2 would make this loud static noise (the same sound an old TV would make when you would land on a channel that you didn't have). I would be forced to restart the device to make it stop making that noise. That sounds seems to be gone now completely which is good. But, I can't figure out why my audio seems to cut out randomly with the Hugo 2 when I have a new board in it. Steve ran test at his place and said the device passed all his test in terms of the voltage & that he wasn't able to replicate the same issues that I've had. I'm going to send the device back in to see what can be done. Could this have anything to do with the battery in this device, or is something else potentially the culprit? I always hear a sound like something is switching off right before the sound cuts off. It's similar to the sound electronics make when you have a power outage, but the Hugo 2 is clearly on. My device is always well charged too. The cutoff happens with all outputs, and the Hugo 2 is the only device in my chain that does this. My Rotel Integrated amp/dac doesn't do this, neither did the dacs that I have owned before. This is about the 3rd/4th time I have sent this device in for repairs now. Steve has been great to work with, and I hate having to bother him about the same issue.
I’ve had a similar issue with a different DAC.
Am I correct that this only happens when connected to your computer via USB input?
When you say you switch to another audio device do you mean another device on the USB input or are you switching to a different input on the Hugo2?
What music app are you using?
Is your computer a Mac?
I’m wondering if this is caused by sample rate switching: When you go from playing a track at one sample rate, say 16/44, to another, say 24/96.

I can suggest a possible fix but it will help if we have the info I requested above.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2022 at 1:06 PM Post #21,370 of 22,475
I’ve had a similar issue with a different DAC.
Am I correct that this only happens when connected to your computer via USB input?
When you say you switch to another audio device do you mean another device on the USB input or are you switching to a different input on the Hugo2?
What music app are you using?
Is your computer a Mac?
I’m wondering if this is caused by sample rate switching: When you go from playing a track at one sample rate, say 16/44, to another, say 24/96.

I can suggest a possible fix but it will help if we have the info I requested above.
Thank you for your reply, the audio cutout doesn't happen with my Rotel RA-1572 or any other USB audio device connected to my PC, only the Hugo 2. I primarily use my Hugo 2 in a setup where it's connected to my pc via USB, I then run the Hugo 2 via audio composite cables to my Rotel which drives my speakers. Since all the outputs of the Hugo 2 are connected whenever the audio goes out this affects all outputs in the device. For music I use Amazon & Qobuz primarily. I have the Chord driver for the Hugo 2 installed with the sample rate set to the max setting of 384k. I use my browser (Vivaldi) or stream of the apps for Netflix/Hulu when not watching YouTube. As for the cutout, I'll just be watching a vid/playing music with no switching between what's being played then the audio stops playing at random. I have an external storage device, my mouse, keyboard and Rotel connected via USB to my pc if that helps as well. However, this is the first time in that config that I have ever had audio cutting off like this from my dac.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2022 at 1:22 PM Post #21,371 of 22,475
Thank you for your reply, the audio cutout doesn't happen with my Rotel RA-1572 or any other USB audio device connected to my PC, only the Hugo 2. I primarily use my Hugo 2 in a setup where it's connected to my pc via USB, I then run the Hugo 2 via audio composite cables to my Rotel which drives my speakers. Since all the outputs of the Hugo 2 are connected whenever the audio goes out this affects all outputs in the device. For music I use Amazon & Qobuz primarily. I have the Chord driver for the Hugo 2 installed with the sample rate set to the max setting of 384k. I use my browser (Vivaldi) or stream of the apps for Netflix/Hulu when not watching YouTube. As for the cutout, I'll just be watching a vid/playing music with no switching between what's being played then the audio stops playing at random. I have an external storage device, my mouse, keyboard and Rotel connected via USB to my pc if that helps as well. However, this is the first time in that config that I have ever had audio cutting off like this from my dac.
In that case my theory isn’t correct.
Sorry if I gave you false hope.

Just guessing here but have you tried temporarily removing the Rotel from your PC?
I’m wondering if the PC is switching audio output from the Hugo2 to the Rotel or if there’s a related USB conflict?

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2022 at 3:21 PM Post #21,372 of 22,475
Could I suggest trying the setup with the driver software set to 96 or 192KHz? I had problems driving a Mojo 2 from a laptop, reducing the output frequency reduced the instability.

Oct 24, 2022 at 4:12 PM Post #21,373 of 22,475
Could I suggest trying the setup with the driver software set to 96 or 192KHz? I had problems driving a Mojo 2 from a laptop, reducing the output frequency reduced the instability.
In fact the recommendation from Rob Watts is to avoid any upsampling of the original data. Part of Rob Watt's DAC desings is a very sophisticated upsampling and any upsampling upstream of the DACs is actually reducing the accuracy of the signal reconstruction.
Not sure if that has anything to do with the issues but it's definitely a good step.

Was curious if I could get the advice of any engineers here. So, I've owned my Hugo 2 for a about a year now. I've really enjoyed it as a dac, but I've had to send it back a few times for repair due to the Dac randomly not playing any sound. I either have to switch to another audio device, play audio for a few seconds then switch back to the Hugo 2 on my computer and in a few seconds audio will start playing again. .....
In the past the Hugo 2 would make this loud static noise (the same sound an old TV would make when you would land on a channel that you didn't have). I would be forced to restart the device to make it stop making that noise. That sounds seems to be gone now completely which is good.
The second issue - static noise - is a well known issue with the USB signal. I have experienced this with Mojo, Mojo 2 and Hugo 2. In my cases I could always trace it back to a cable issue, but information shared in the forums s not 100% conclusive.
The way you are describing your issues sounds like a problem with the digital signal, I'd change the cable, make sure that the driver is working and switch off any upsampling or other digital processing on PC side. Next would be to make sure you have no ground loops between computer and Hugo 2, test it without charger to eliminate any issues from that side and test.

Oct 24, 2022 at 4:25 PM Post #21,374 of 22,475
I always hear a sound like something is switching off right before the sound cuts off. It's similar to the sound electronics make when you have a power outage, but the Hugo 2 is clearly on.
By this do you mean the sound of an electronic relay switching on or off?
Similar to the click when a router switches the internet connection on or off, or a heating thermostat switching a circuit on or off.

Oct 24, 2022 at 6:07 PM Post #21,375 of 22,475
Thanks for the info everyone.
I’ve been experimenting with different chargers (all 2.4A+) and cables (all supposedly rated 2A+ or “high speed charging”) and the cables are indeed the variable: Some work, some don’t.
With any of the chargers and the right cable things are working as expected: I get the 2A charge indicator, the Hugo2 fully charges, no flashing lights, and desktop mode activates when it should.
Someone's passing off fake cables as genuine. No surprise. Typical greed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back