Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jul 10, 2022 at 6:25 PM Post #21,166 of 22,475
I thought the H2 stays at 80% while in desktop mode?
That's how Rob said he has designed it. I did find that when using it in desktop mode that the battery charging indicator comes on for a while when powering down after a listening session.

The only time I've found the H2 to get really hot was when charging and listening in my office in a 28°C ambient temperature. I'll get an IR thermometer on the case next time I'm running it like that. In desktop mode, once charged, the unit stays cold and I can't hear the charging circuit (audible hiss from the case).

Jul 10, 2022 at 7:58 PM Post #21,167 of 22,475
I seem to remember Rob Watts saying that the Hugo 2 is still being powered by battery even when plugged in, which is why there's no benefit in "upgrading" to another power supply on the Hugo 2. The same is also true of the Woo Audio WA8 and several early Bakoon amps - the power is only for charging the battery rather than the unit itself, so they all retain the advantage of being off-the-grid.

Of course, there may well be interference from other factors, but power I don't think is a factor.
This

Batteries aren’t nearly as temperamental as they used to be. I just replaced my 8 year old AK240 battery. Not because it died, but because it only held 3 hours of charge.

@phiemon
By using Qutest and Anni, you’re adding extra complexity and connections for a headphone only rig. Hugo 2 was designed for desktop headphone use. Just use the crap out of it and enjoy. When the battery dies, just replace it.

Jul 17, 2022 at 4:33 PM Post #21,168 of 22,475
Anyone had their Hugo2Go suddenly ramp up to full volume for no discernible reason? Mine was plugged in ("desktop mode") and connected to an amp via RCA outputs, and then suddenly it ramped up to full volume (white). I wasn't touching the remote. Fortunately, I don't seem to have damaged my speakers, but it was an unpleasant shock. I'm bewildered, but hoping this isn't a known bug?

Jul 17, 2022 at 4:38 PM Post #21,169 of 22,475
Anyone had their Hugo2Go suddenly ramp up to full volume for no discernible reason? Mine was plugged in ("desktop mode") and connected to an amp via RCA outputs, and then suddenly it ramped up to full volume (white). I wasn't touching the remote. Fortunately, I don't seem to have damaged my speakers, but it was an unpleasant shock. I'm bewildered, but hoping this isn't a known bug?

It has happened to quite a few with the TT2. Wasn't aware the H2 also suffered from you.

Jul 17, 2022 at 7:26 PM Post #21,170 of 22,475
This has happened to me only a couple times. One time just chilling in bed and then all of sudden have to rip my earphones out. Was so boggled at what happened. It happened one other time, but I was since watchful for it. I could see the ball ramping up the colors by itself and it stopped when I interfered. Never knew what caused it. Very scary. Will never leave my headphones playing unsupervised.

Jul 18, 2022 at 11:19 PM Post #21,172 of 22,475
This has happened to me only a couple times. One time just chilling in bed and then all of sudden have to rip my earphones out. Was so boggled at what happened. It happened one other time, but I was since watchful for it. I could see the ball ramping up the colors by itself and it stopped when I interfered. Never knew what caused it. Very scary. Will never leave my headphones playing unsupervised.
Probably an issue with the rotary encoder used for the volume control. They can be a bit glitchy in my experience.

Jul 19, 2022 at 10:38 AM Post #21,173 of 22,475
Probably an issue with the rotary encoder used for the volume control. They can be a bit glitchy in my experience.
Call me not a fan of the digital volume control. Additionally, when you're trying to fine tune the volume, at small turns of the wheel mine often jumps a step. Don't think the translation from physical and digital is sensitive enough (it should be). So I usually have to go up and down until I can finally get to the right spot. Not a fan of this wheel volume control. It's fine on the Mojo because it clicks onto place.

Jul 19, 2022 at 11:02 AM Post #21,174 of 22,475
Call me not a fan of the digital volume control. Additionally, when you're trying to fine tune the volume, at small turns of the wheel mine often jumps a step. Don't think the translation from physical and digital is sensitive enough (it should be). So I usually have to go up and down until I can finally get to the right spot. Not a fan of this wheel volume control. It's fine on the Mojo because it clicks onto place.
Why don't you use the remote instead?

Jul 19, 2022 at 11:08 AM Post #21,175 of 22,475
All and any contact points can get dirty or corroded .
If you can open it up, try a puff of a good contact cleaner into the volume control.
This is good:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hosa-Deoxit-Contact-Cleaner-Spray/dp/B00006LVEU

Jul 19, 2022 at 1:30 PM Post #21,176 of 22,475
Jul 19, 2022 at 1:31 PM Post #21,177 of 22,475
Jul 19, 2022 at 2:37 PM Post #21,178 of 22,475
Thanks for the advice. Is the H2 easy to open up and put back together?
Very!
Just use the right screwdriver , on a towel, gently does it.
That spray will not cause short circuits, so it is safe should a small amount gets anywhere.
But because it is a little oily, cover the area with tissue paper.
You can do it.

Jul 22, 2022 at 7:10 AM Post #21,180 of 22,475
Does anyone use the Hugo for gaming (PC and/or console via USB and/or Toslink) and can say something about the latency? Are there any latency issues? I've read that it's around 30ms, isn't that a lotl?
On average, the human eye takes around 100ms to blink so 30ms is about a 1/3 of the time it takes to blink so I don't think you will notice it.

Unless you are one of the latest breed of gamers that has taken gaming to the next level and has disabled their blink reflex in order to WIN! :wink:

On the other hand there is no way I would use a Hugo 2 for gaming, what would be the point?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back