Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
May 2, 2022 at 2:43 PM Post #20,971 of 22,475
The week I left my French house in the Autumn, it was struck by lightning. In spite of extensive anti-lightning precautions, quite a lot was damaged and having just got back there a day and a half ago, I am finding other damaged items. I knew the TV, Freesat box, Apple wifi boosters and American fridge -freezer were toast. New Fridge and TV arrive tomorrow. Apple repaired my brand new M1 Mac Mini under Applecare but it also seems as if my lovely Benchmark Media DAC 3L is damaged as well. It all lights up but will not sync to any digital signal and unlike the Hugo 2 does not appear on the list of connected sound devices. I brought my Hugo 2 DAP with me for portable use outside, so I do have a DAC. Connecting it to my repaired Mac Mini works (as it should) but how am am I going to connect the Hugo 2 to my 4K Satellite receiver, as the box only has optical digital audio output. Does any third party make a TOSLINK optical to USB converter (I assume it would need to be powered off a wall wart)? I presume my DAC3L will have to go back to the USA for repair.

Wilson
presumably the optical output from your receiver, will connect to the optical input of the hugo 2, using a standard optical cable.

May 2, 2022 at 3:23 PM Post #20,972 of 22,475
presumably the optical output from your receiver, will connect to the optical input of the hugo 2, using a standard optical cable.
and you need to set your SAT equipment to output in stereo, as Hifi DACs are 2 channel only.

May 2, 2022 at 3:40 PM Post #20,973 of 22,475
Many thanks folks. My bad. I thought the only digital input to the Hugo 2 was via the Micro USB. Just looked again and there is the Toslink input - Doh! I am now much more comfortable about sending my Benchmark Media DAC3L back to the USA for repair. I have been told by others their service turn around time is very good, so the only fly in the ointment is going to be the inwards French customs at Roissy airport in Paris for the return, which is the equivalent of a black hole (not even light escapes). Fedex used to do their own customs clearance but not sure if that is still the case.

It is impossible to set up the new 4K satellite box without a TV. The old (now dead) Humax satellite box had a screen where you could set the basics up with button pushes. Hopefully if Darty does their stuff, my 55" Philips 4K TV should be here tomorrow.

Wilson

May 4, 2022 at 2:40 AM Post #20,975 of 22,475
I am always suspicious as to just how good a Micro USB socket and plug can be, given the tiny areas of contact and possibility of dirt and/or corrosion. There are physical limitations on TOSLINK optical, so whenever possible, the best method is digital coaxial. An expensive cable is a waste of money for this. Bits and Bytes are Bits and Bytes, irrespective of what the snake oil cable salesman will tell you. I use Amazon Basics cables for Coax Digital.

Wilson

May 4, 2022 at 1:22 PM Post #20,979 of 22,475
AptX playback was pretty poor sound quality to me. I only had to try it to never again use it. So with a lower bitrate codec, I'd imagine not to even bother. Just my opinion.

May 4, 2022 at 1:22 PM Post #20,980 of 22,475
I don't have an iPhone but I can tell you one thing, it won't sound good. There is no Aptx support on iPhones and Hugo2 doesn't do AAC so you will get an SBC connection.
Thank you for that sir. I’m was wondering why there are so many for sale on this site?

May 4, 2022 at 1:30 PM Post #20,982 of 22,475
AptX playback was pretty poor sound quality to me. I only had to try it to never again use it. So with a lower bitrate codec, I'd imagine not to even bother. Just my opinion.
Is there a good DAC/amp besides the iFi Gryphon that I can use with my iPhone with BT? I’m trying out an M17 right now but I’m not sure I’m a dap guy.

May 4, 2022 at 1:32 PM Post #20,983 of 22,475
Hugo 2's? People sell them when they get upgraditus (a disease most of us suffer from here on headFi :) ) Also I'm sure sometimes people sell to pay the bills these days sadly.
I’m also familiar with the disease.

May 4, 2022 at 1:47 PM Post #20,984 of 22,475
Is there a good DAC/amp besides the iFi Gryphon that I can use with my iPhone with BT? I’m trying out an M17 right now but I’m not sure I’m a dap guy.
Not from Chord. What's wrong with the Gryphon?

BT with the iPhone caps out at 256 kbps. Not great for HiFi listening. Is a Mojo/Poly or Hugo 2/2Go out of the question? You can Airplay with the iPhone and get to CD quality.

May 4, 2022 at 2:03 PM Post #20,985 of 22,475
Not from Chord. What's wrong with the Gryphon?

BT with the iPhone caps out at 256 kbps. Not great for HiFi listening. Is a Mojo/Poly or Hugo 2/2Go out of the question? You can Airplay with the iPhone and get to CD quality.
There’s really nothing wrong with the Gryphon, it’s a wonderful device. To me it doesn’t sound as good as my recent M 17 purchase. I guess it shouldn’t over BT right? And I don’t like connecting DAC/amps via cable to my phone so was searching for a different HiFi solution. I’m new at this. How good are the two combos you just mentioned? Better than the M17?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back