Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
May 6, 2022 at 8:37 PM Post #21,001 of 22,467
@Rob Watts Could you please recommend what SPDIF and COAX cables you prefer with your DACs? I've got a PI2AES to try to remove source EMI/RF from my system for use with my hugo2 and aside from I2S (which Hugo2 cannot do) the best way to connect it is via SPIDF/coax apparently. I seem to remember CHORD selling SPDIF cables but am unable to find any online.

Also, for hugo3, would it be possible for it to utilize I2s and for Hugo3 to have balanced output?

After all this time, Hugo2 remains the best portable DAC IMO.

Thank you

Last edited:
May 7, 2022 at 12:55 AM Post #21,002 of 22,467
@Rob Watts Could you please recommend what SPDIF and COAX cables you prefer with your DACs? I've got a PI2AES to try to remove source EMI/RF from my system for use with my hugo2 and aside from I2S (which Hugo2 cannot do) the best way to connect it is via SPIDF/coax apparently. I seem to remember CHORD selling SPDIF cables but am unable to find any online.

Also, for hugo3, would it be possible for it to utilize I2s and for Hugo3 to have balanced output?

After all this time, Hugo2 remains the best portable DAC IMO.

Thank you

If you have a choice, always go for optical over coax. I use regular quality optical cables, and I also use a 2m length of Lifatec optical cable, as I need the length and for it to work at 192k (regular quality plastic cables can work to 1m with 192k but not at 2m - you need quality glass for longer lengths). For BNC/BNC on the M scaler I use Wave stream cables.

Chord have never sold cables individually, perhaps you are thinking of the Chord Company who just make cables (no connection with Chord Electronics).

I2S supplies no sonic or technical benefit (you could argue the extra wires and OPs makes it worse due to more RF) so it's not something I would consider. Balanced over single ended configured for the same power OP, would always degrade transparency with my DACs due to the added components in the signal path, so it's again something I would not consider.

May 7, 2022 at 6:06 AM Post #21,003 of 22,467
I disagree about opting for optical over coax. I don't think the problem lies with the cables but the signal is going to have to run through two converters 1) digital to optical and 2) optical to digital. Both of these converters run a risk of signal degradation and adding noise.

Wilson

May 24, 2022 at 1:05 PM Post #21,004 of 22,467
I've just received a second hand Hugo2 and am worried the USB connection isn't working.

I've tried connecting it to my macbook like so:

Hugo2 > supplied (micro-USB) - (micro-USB) cable > (micro-USB) - (USB-C adapter) > macbook.

The Hugo2 never appears in the sound output options, does anyone have any ideas please?

May 24, 2022 at 1:09 PM Post #21,005 of 22,467
I'm not familiar with Chord. The Hugo 2 is several years old. Can you imagine it will get updated anytime soon'ish following the Mojo 2 update?

May 24, 2022 at 1:13 PM Post #21,006 of 22,467
Make sure the USB adapter is working ok with the Mac when passing data and power. I've had some adapters in the past that didn't work with my Mac. Also try buying a new cable, just a cheaper one from Amazon etc, with the correct micro usb one end and USB c for the Mac or what ever USB type the Mac has. This will help remove the cable etc as the cause of the problem.

May 24, 2022 at 1:17 PM Post #21,008 of 22,467
Also, just check you have the input button on the Hugo2 switched to USB also, that’s caught me out before.
Yeah... been there done that a few times!

May 24, 2022 at 2:15 PM Post #21,009 of 22,467
The same cable is fine passing data to my iPhone (the cable splits into 3 at one end). Also yes I was sure to check the Hugo is in USB mode. Any other suggestions would be much appreciated.

I plan to get the 2go once I can afford to, but really don't want to be stuck with bluetooth until then.

May 24, 2022 at 2:15 PM Post #21,010 of 22,467
I'm not familiar with Chord. The Hugo 2 is several years old. Can you imagine it will get updated anytime soon'ish following the Mojo 2 update?
Back in Feb @Rob Watts made several posts containing statements like 'For manufacturing, we live in very uncertain times. Not only that, prototype builds take a huge time now, and each new design typically will have multiple prototypes.' to try and damp down the speculation about new Chord products this year.
Since then he has posted that the lead time for some component supplies is over 12 months.

My optimism was crushed so deeply, that I concluded that the H3 or TT3 could be 3 years away at least.
Given that the global component shortage is still ongoing, I still feel pessimistic.
That brief era where several new dacs were shipped in the space of a few years is now history. :slight_frown:

Hopefully I will be proven wrong.

May 24, 2022 at 2:44 PM Post #21,011 of 22,467
The same cable is fine passing data to my iPhone (the cable splits into 3 at one end). Also yes I was sure to check the Hugo is in USB mode. Any other suggestions would be much appreciated.

I plan to get the 2go once I can afford to, but really don't want to be stuck with bluetooth until then.
I would try with a regular USB A to micro USB cable, and use the appropriate Apple adapter to go from USB C to female USB A.

May 24, 2022 at 4:47 PM Post #21,012 of 22,467
I don't like layers of adapters so I ordered a USB-C to Micro USB from Amazon (about €8) and that works fine with my M1 Mac Mini with the Hugo 2 showing up in sound options. You have to select it in the source button on the Hugo, second button from the left. USB input is when the button is illuminated white/very pale blue (with buttons on low intensity). The only thing I don't like about the Hugo is that I forgot to take the remote out from the UK with me, so have to climb behind the TV to switch off and on or change sources.

May 25, 2022 at 3:44 PM Post #21,013 of 22,467
Cheers! I went for a usb-c > micro-usb and all working very very well. Favourite dac/amp I’ve heard to date by a significant margin.

Upgraditus now has me questioning how much better 2go would sound that laptop and usb cable…

May 25, 2022 at 8:33 PM Post #21,014 of 22,467
Cheers! I went for a usb-c > micro-usb and all working very very well. Favourite dac/amp I’ve heard to date by a significant margin.

Upgraditus now has me questioning how much better 2go would sound that laptop and usb cable…
Sound better? Possibly. I guess it depends on how ”clean” is your USB port on the laptop.

The 2go expands the H2 functionality and portability. It’s main function is as a streamer or server. It shines the most with Roon, but also does equally well with the onboard MPD playing from the microSD card. I’ve found the Upnp and DLNA streaming hit or miss.

I wouldn’t buy it for improved sound quality alone. There are cheaper ways to accomplish that goal. Just scroll up a few posts.

May 28, 2022 at 4:46 AM Post #21,015 of 22,467
Thank you, much appreciated.

Is there any likelihood that the 2go will have support for Tidal connect added?

I’d love to be able to stream directly to the 2go from phone/laptop without the need for a roon server or having to use one of the clunky upnp/dlna apps.

I appreciate it’s a long shot given that the 2go has been around for a while…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back