Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Apr 8, 2022 at 1:25 AM Post #20,956 of 22,475
I received my Hugo 2 today with a form fit Toslink cable made for AK devices. When I attached my AK 1000m, i get no sound. I have an older AK 120, and it works fine. The 3.5 port on the 1000m works fine with headphones, just doesn’t seem to like the fiber cable. I could use the 120 as my source, but no Roon or Tidal. Thoughts?

Bluetooth works fine, I could feed the Hugo with my iPad, but wonder about SQ with IPad on Bluetooth vs. SP1000 with fiber? Mostly listening with Utopia.
According the specs here for example: https://www.moon-audio.com/astell-kern-sp1000m-mini-dap.html

...the SP1000 has optical output but the SP1000M does not.

Apr 13, 2022 at 10:58 AM Post #20,957 of 22,475
I just received a Nordost Heimdall 2 RCA to 3.5mm cable for my Hugo 2. Having read numerous cases of the Nordost fitting the Hugo 2's RCA inputs, I'm surprised to find that my own cable doesn't fit. Am I doing something wrong? Did Nordost change their RCA plugs recently?

Apr 13, 2022 at 11:22 AM Post #20,958 of 22,475
I just received a Nordost Heimdall 2 RCA to 3.5mm cable for my Hugo 2. Having read numerous cases of the Nordost fitting the Hugo 2's RCA inputs, I'm surprised to find that my own cable doesn't fit. Am I doing something wrong? Did Nordost change their RCA plugs recently?
No issues with the Blue Heaven or White Lightning. Both were purchased in the past year. It looks like the Heimdall series use a different rca connector.
Nordost will re-terminate for a fee. I looked into it. $170 per connector. Given the cost of Heimdall cables, it might be worth it.
I can attest that the Blue Heaven interconnects have great synergy with the Hugo 2.

Apr 13, 2022 at 11:28 AM Post #20,959 of 22,475
No issues with the Blue Heaven or White Lightning. Both were purchased in the past year. It looks like the Heimdall series use a different rca connector.
Nordost will re-terminate for a fee. I looked into it. $170 per connector. Given the cost of Heimdall cables, it might be worth it.
I can attest that the Blue Heaven interconnects have great synergy with the Hugo 2.
Yeah, I'm not sure I'm going to pay for that. The cable alone was like 300 Euros plus import tax from UK of about 100 Euros (my bad, as I probably could have got it cheaper from elsewhere). I did connect from my Qutest to a Woo Audio WA8 amp - which I see you have yourself -, and indeed it sounded great. Looks like I can connect the RCA plugs to an Audioquest RCA/3.5mm adapter on the Hugo 2, but I really wanted to avoid this to retain as much of a pure signal as possible.

Apr 13, 2022 at 11:35 AM Post #20,960 of 22,475
Yeah, I'm not sure I'm going to pay for that. The cable alone was like 300 Euros plus import tax from UK of about 100 Euros (my bad, as I probably could have got it cheaper from elsewhere). I did connect from my Qutest to a Woo Audio WA8 amp - which I see you have yourself -, and indeed it sounded great. Looks like I can connect the RCA plugs to an Audioquest RCA/3.5mm adapter on the Hugo 2, but I really wanted to avoid this to retain as much of a pure signal as possible.
I’m not a huge fan of using the AQ rca adapter with the higher end Nordost cables either. They are just so stiff and seem to put quite a bit of pressure on the 3.5mm connector.

I mainly use the on board DAC of the WA8. I like the fun, lively sound when paired with the Stellias or Lirics.

Apr 13, 2022 at 11:38 AM Post #20,961 of 22,475
I’m not a huge fan of using the AQ rca adapter with the higher end Nordost cables either. They are just so stiff and seem to put quite a bit of pressure on the 3.5mm connector.

I mainly use the on board DAC of the WA8. I like the fun, lively sound when paired with the Stellias or Lirics.
I totally agree - the AQ adapter is awkward to use and the last thing I want is pressure on any connector, to say nothing of sound degradation.

The internal DAC on the WA8 is surprisingly good (though I far prefer with Hugo 2 with WA8).

Apr 13, 2022 at 11:46 AM Post #20,962 of 22,475
I totally agree - the AQ adapter is awkward to use and the last thing I want is pressure on any connector, to say nothing of sound degradation.

The internal DAC on the WA8 is surprisingly good (though I far prefer with Hugo 2 with WA8).
Well, I'm able to connect the Heimdall from my Bakoon HPA-21's RCA inputs to the Hugo 2, and that also sounds great. But the idea was I'd be using this cable in a transportable situation to connect the Hugo 2 to portable amps, as the Qutest is more or less permanently attached to the HPA-21....

On hindsight, I should have played it safe and gone for 3.5mm to 3.5mm....#fail. Annoying because the cable sounds very good even without any burn-in.

Apr 15, 2022 at 3:23 AM Post #20,963 of 22,475
Hi all :)

I am thinking of selling my Hugo 2 + Audeze LCD-X.
Both purchased a year ago but used max 20h as I still mostly use my IEM mobile setup.
Where would be the best to post the ad?
I am from Croatia / Europe / EU.

Take care,
Denis

Apr 15, 2022 at 3:38 AM Post #20,964 of 22,475
Not sure of the criteria here but, if you have to use eBay, just wait till you get an offer for 80% - 100% off selling fees and pop them up on eBay! That's what I'm doing now.

Apr 15, 2022 at 3:50 AM Post #20,965 of 22,475
Apr 16, 2022 at 4:05 PM Post #20,966 of 22,475
Dear all, my apologies - turns out the Nordost Heimdall *does* fit the Hugo2, but just requires someone force.... My bad. The connection is now solid and sturdy. And sounds great. Quite the relief.

20220416_220251.JPG

Apr 30, 2022 at 12:57 AM Post #20,967 of 22,475
Apr 30, 2022 at 6:19 AM Post #20,968 of 22,475
I was thinking about Rob’s statement that “Optical should always be considered the reference (best) input“ and looking at those nice H2 optical rigs.

Interesting to think what an optical 2Go or Poly would sound like…
It’s called 2go/2yu optical to Hugo2.

I’m using 2go/2yu to BNC coax to H2. The USB is to the Woo WA8.

Honestly, if I didn’t want two dac/amps to switch between, I don’t think adding the extra layer to the H2 makes any improvements. The usb run from the poly and 2go is so short, you’re not getting any of the potential issues with usb and cables. Rob already separated the power supply from the data stream. I can’t imagine any improvements using optical as the connector.

I’m also of the opinion that SPDIF>USB. Whether it be toslink or coax.

Apr 30, 2022 at 2:37 PM Post #20,969 of 22,475
It’s called 2go/2yu optical to Hugo2.

I’m using 2go/2yu to BNC coax to H2. The USB is to the Woo WA8.

Honestly, if I didn’t want two dac/amps to switch between, I don’t think adding the extra layer to the H2 makes any improvements. The usb run from the poly and 2go is so short, you’re not getting any of the potential issues with usb and cables. Rob already separated the power supply from the data stream. I can’t imagine any improvements using optical as the connector.

I’m also of the opinion that SPDIF>USB. Whether it be toslink or coax.
Oh yes, I had forgotten about the 2yu optical out.

I also agree that SPDIF>USB. Adding a SRC-DX to go from USB to SPDIF into M Scaler was a noticeable difference.

Cheers, muski

May 2, 2022 at 2:16 PM Post #20,970 of 22,475
The week I left my French house in the Autumn, it was struck by lightning. In spite of extensive anti-lightning precautions, quite a lot was damaged and having just got back there a day and a half ago, I am finding other damaged items. I knew the TV, Freesat box, Apple wifi boosters and American fridge -freezer were toast. New Fridge and TV arrive tomorrow. Apple repaired my brand new M1 Mac Mini under Applecare but it also seems as if my lovely Benchmark Media DAC 3L is damaged as well. It all lights up but will not sync to any digital signal and unlike the Hugo 2 does not appear on the list of connected sound devices. I brought my Hugo 2 DAP with me for portable use outside, so I do have a DAC. Connecting it to my repaired Mac Mini works (as it should) but how am am I going to connect the Hugo 2 to my 4K Satellite receiver, as the box only has optical digital audio output. Does any third party make a TOSLINK optical to USB converter (I assume it would need to be powered off a wall wart)? I presume my DAC3L will have to go back to the USA for repair.

Wilson

Users who are viewing this thread

Back