Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Mar 24, 2022 at 5:05 PM Post #20,927 of 22,516
Nope, I'm more into collections of downloaded files than streaming. And I don't currently have any Chord products at the moment, but planning on the Mojo 2... Still waiting for my question before on USB optical, if anyone wants to take a shot.
Here is my answer for what its worth:
Just like what others have said, I , too am in the opinion that the less you put between your DAP and DAC, the better.
There are many technical reasons for that. For example, almost all new DACs use Asynchronous USB input. In brief, the DAC makes a handshake with the player and becomes Boss! it tells the DAP what to send, when to send, and if there is a data packet lost or corrupted, to send it again. The DAC collects the data into a temp. buffer and reads from the buffer while re-clocking the data using its own clock genertated internally. This way, many issues are catered for.
In comparison, SPDIF (be it electrical or optical) are archaic! the bandwidth is limited (can not do 768kHz for example), data is sent by DAP at its own pace (clock), it is a one-way communication! You may get packet loss, errors and ofcourse jitter.
Chord DACs, try to compensate for this by using a small buffer, to collect the data and re-clocking it internally. System has next to no jitter! (10-20 pico seconds).
Now, imagine if one tampers with that!
You can not better what Chord (RW) in their wisdom have done - lab measurements and listening tests are proof.
However there is the possibility of RFI affecting any electrical connection to a DAC. This interference can mess with Analogue section of the DAC (digital section is immune). The catch is, there should be closed circuit loop for it to happen.
Battery operated laptops into Mojo (2) or Hugo2 into headphones do not have a closed circuit.
you need a mains powered computer (main source of RFI) feeding the DACs and DACs feeding mains powered amplifiers - now you have a closed loop, current will flow from one ground wire to the next and you may get into trouble.
If indeed you intend to connect your DAC to your home system, and wish to use a powered laptop to connect to the DAC (possibly long USB cable) , I guess that's why you are interested in optic-USB cables.
Solution:
Use battery powered laptop, a short(ish) USB cable to your DAC, battery powered DAC. Install a software player on the laptop that can be remote controlled (iRiver for example).
Now sit back, use your phone or tablet to send instructions to the player remotely!
Laptop is not connected to mains, only the DAC (through line output) may have any connection to mains, but the circuit is open!
Did you know how Poly or 2Go play from an SD card into the DACs with no interference??
Yes, in principle - that way.

Needless to say, this issue only affects DACs with no Galvanic Isolation built in! (Mojo (2) or Hugo2).
Desktop DACs have isolation builtin, so by default do not suffer from this.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2022 at 9:27 PM Post #20,928 of 22,516
it tells the DAP what to send, when to send, and if there is a data packet lost or corrupted, to send it again
No error correction on UAC2. Simple as that. You're confusing data transfer and real time audio stream playback that has some caching.

Use battery powered laptop, a short(ish) USB cable to your DAC, battery powered DAC.
Already made a pure powerbank chain. While better than mains, just adding a line conditioner beats powerbanks.

Avoid USB input on Chord devices. Always use spdif.

Mar 24, 2022 at 11:43 PM Post #20,929 of 22,516
Nope, I'm more into collections of downloaded files than streaming. And I don't currently have any Chord products at the moment, but planning on the Mojo 2... Still waiting for my question before on USB optical, if anyone wants to take a shot.
I use a Roon nucleus to store all my downloaded files, and feed into Hugo2go. Simple chain, less cables, and free up your laptop.

I can also move around in my house using wireless connection. Sound as good as ethanet cable tbh.

Mar 25, 2022 at 6:29 AM Post #20,930 of 22,516
No error correction on UAC2. Simple as that. You're confusing data transfer and real time audio stream playback that has some caching.
You are correct (on error correction), I am gonna Chalk-it-up as posting late at night.
Already made a pure powerbank chain. While better than mains, just adding a line conditioner beats powerbanks.

Avoid USB input on Chord devices. Always use spdif.
But mine was a reply to a question regarding the use of USB, decrapifiers and optical-USB cables to connect a laptop to a DAC.
Laptops mostly do not have SPDIF outputs (or do they? bar an older macbook). So the use of USB was a given.
Are you suggesting that an external USB to SPDIF converter is better than direct USB (from a battery powered laptop) to Chord DACs?

Mar 25, 2022 at 6:32 AM Post #20,931 of 22,516
I use a Roon nucleus to store all my downloaded files, and feed into Hugo2go. Simple chain, less cables, and free up your laptop.

I can also move around in my house using wireless connection. Sound as good as ethanet cable tbh.
Absolutely!
But the bulk of it. I assume as well as carrying the Hugo2-2Go combo, you also carry a phone or a tablet with them, in order to control what you want to listen.
Wouldn't a simple USB cable from the same phone or tablet, not be an alternative when you could ditch the 2Go.

Mar 25, 2022 at 6:34 AM Post #20,932 of 22,516
Absolutely!
But the bulk of it. I assume as well as carrying the Hugo2-2Go combo, you also carry a phone or a tablet with them, in order to control what you want to listen.
Wouldn't a simple USB cable from the same phone or tablet, not be an alternative when you could ditch the 2Go.

If you're willing to stick 20 different devices between your laptop and DAC in the pursuit of the "purest" audio possible, then a central sever and Roon seems like a simple solution.

If it were my money I'd ditch the laptop and go with Roon + either the 2GO or a RPi based network streamer and ditch the inherently noisy laptop/USB solution.

Mar 25, 2022 at 6:41 AM Post #20,933 of 22,516
If you're willing to stick 20 different devices between your laptop and DAC in the pursuit of the "purest" audio possible, then a central sever and Roon seems like a simple solution.

If it were my money I'd ditch the laptop and go with Roon + either the 2GO or a RPi based network streamer and ditch the inherently noisy laptop/USB solution.
You are mistaking me with someone else, for me, one USB cable between my phone and my DAC - that's it. (though I have deviated from that slightly sometimes)
Least bulk, easiest most simple operation.
Did I mention, most cost effective?

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2022 at 6:43 AM Post #20,934 of 22,516
You are mistaking me with someone else, for me, one USB cable between my phone and my DAC - that's it.
Least bulk, easiest most simple operation.
Did I mention, most cost effective?

I'm replying/following the thread/inquiry started by @DecentLevi a page back, not talking about your solution directly.

Mar 25, 2022 at 8:16 AM Post #20,935 of 22,516
But mine was a reply to a question regarding the use of USB, decrapifiers and optical-USB cables to connect a laptop to a DAC.
Laptops mostly do not have SPDIF outputs (or do they? bar an older macbook). So the use of USB was a given.
Are you suggesting that an external USB to SPDIF converter is better than direct USB (from a battery powered laptop) to Chord DACs?
Using the topping d10s or src dx gave better sound on the Hugo 2 / Dave vs usb in.

Roon has low SQ despite being bit perfect. Many people have said squeezelite sounds better. Skipping Roon was one of the best things for me.

Mar 25, 2022 at 9:35 AM Post #20,937 of 22,516
Absolutely!
The size doesn't bug me that much since I use them mostly in my house not on the go.

Once the music start, I will not need my phone/tablet anymore. I feel that carrying hugo2go is so much safer than carrying a Hugo2 connected to a cellphone via USB. Especially I use a leather case for these units, I have a total peace of mind that I am not going to damage anything from any movement.

On the other hand, another advantage using roon + a Roon nucleus is that you can control your music from any device at the same time as long as they are on the same network, and the nucleus can be left on 24/7

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2022 at 12:11 PM Post #20,938 of 22,516
I'm using my Hugo2, and love its sound :D

Attachments

• KakaoTalk_20220324_152912081.jpg
    KakaoTalk_20220324_152912081.jpg
    470.8 KB · Views: 0
  • KakaoTalk_20220324_152912081_06.jpg
    KakaoTalk_20220324_152912081_06.jpg
    450.4 KB · Views: 0
  • KakaoTalk_20220326_002933866.jpg
    KakaoTalk_20220326_002933866.jpg
    341.9 KB · Views: 0
Mar 25, 2022 at 1:05 PM Post #20,940 of 22,516
Thought you guys might appreciate a quick pic of my work listening/transportable setup I use at my "real job":

1648227910325.png

Radiance and H2 balance each other out so beautifully.

That is all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back