Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Sep 9, 2021 at 12:22 PM Post #20,313 of 22,475
@VladislavLysov I'm not the right person to ask since I dislike Hugo 2 and Qutest sound signature especially when compared to Mojo and TT2. The step from Mojo to H2 isn't justifying the price for me. You could try ifi micro Signature if you would like an upgrade to BL assuming you are not using BL as amp only (Signature is missing this feature). On a side note: you also maybe surprised by Dave signature, my advice is to first listen to all of the potential contenders and make up your mind later.
Thanks! Yes, I'm trying to listen what is best for my ears, but it's hard to do without devices on hand and even in stores it's hard to find.
I can attest the H2 is a nice step up from the Micro BL. The BL has a pleasant, big, and punchy sound, but A/B'ing the two, to me the H2 is leaps ahead when listening for clarity of details, nuisances in the sounds, and imaging. However, if someone doesn't generally focus in on what they listen to or doesn't have well resolving headphones, I'd probably suggest to just stick with the BL. It's a fine device and sounds great.
I'm really focusing on music and totally agree that TT2 should be top choice for me, but diff in price ~2.5k for used devices between them (TT2 ~ 4-4.4k$ used).
I have both Hugo2 and HD 800 S right on hands.
It plays as plays, nithing special, nothing bad.
Quite good, clean and accurate.
As always depends on source and headphone cable.
Thanks, will check it! How the sound in compare to Hugo 2?
I was recently searching for an upgrade to my desktop system, and the iFi Pro iDSD (in tandem with the Pro iCAN) was one of the main candidates. The other was the standalone Hugo TT 2. After comparing the 2, it was fairly obvious that the TT 2 was a step up in (almost) every aspect. The iFi stack was the warmer of the 2, though, with a persistent bloom spread across the entirety of its musical reproduction range; this was most apparent in vocal-driven tracks. The Chord, on the other hand, provided a more resolving, transparent experience; despite this, it didn't sound analytical nor sterile, 2 facets of sound that I actively avoid.

As I had my Hugo 2 with me at the same time, I compared the 3 together. Surprisingly (or not), the Hugo 2 produced better levels of detail and separation vis-à-vis the iFi Pro iDSD. The latter had better driving capability, but it afforded no aural improvements on that front.

Thus, to encapsulate the entire experience, the Hugo TT 2 is the desktop solution to get; it is, however, very expensive. Hence, if you are limited to the Hugo 2 and the iFi Pro iDSD, and your headphones are not power-hungry, go with the former. You can always add a beefy amplifier down the road on your journey.

I tested all of the devices with a Focal Utopia.
Thanks! What do you mean by "former"? My existing device or one of the Hugo 2 and ifi iDSD? TT2 definitely my next step in a year, I'm pretty sure, if Chord's sound will be mine. But overall - I totally agree that TT2 is just an end-game for few years for me. You make me confident to go with Hugo 2 first.
AFAIK Chord Hugo 2 pairs nicely with the Burson Solist 3xp.
Is it sounding as TT2 or still not the same level (I think it's a dumb question, but wanted to ask anyway )))?
I totally agree. I've done the same comparison and both Chords stayed with me. TT2 can be a definitive all-in-one device. It can drive all headphones in terms of power: I'm using it with Abyss 1266 phi tc. Many audiophiles add a hi-end amplifier to tune the sound, but I like the clean sound of tt2+headphones.

@VladislavLysov You can do the same as I did: start with Hugo2 and add a TT2 when you get the funds. Then you can sell the H2 if you don't need the portability. However, I still have a problem with the last point, as H2 is such a versatile and quality device that it is hard to do away with it :)
Cool, thanks for the suggestion! I'm thinking about the same. Just before long Thanksgiving and Christmas, weekends want to spend money to vacation for now instead of TT2, but definitely want to take it in next year if sound of Hugo 2 will be the mine sound.

Sep 9, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #20,314 of 22,475
I did a lot of research deciding between a used iFi Pro iCan (2+ years) and a new Burson Solist 3xp, to be used as headphone amps for my Hugo 2 (DAC mode).
I had read a lot of favouring reviews for the Soloist (as a pair with either Hugo 2 or Qutest).
Finally I had chosen the iFi. Nevertheless, it was evident to me that the Solist was a good option.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2021 at 2:53 PM Post #20,315 of 22,475
I totally agree. I've done the same comparison and both Chords stayed with me. TT2 can be a definitive all-in-one device. It can drive all headphones in terms of power: I'm using it with Abyss 1266 phi tc. Many audiophiles add a hi-end amplifier to tune the sound, but I like the clean sound of tt2+headphones.

@VladislavLysov You can do the same as I did: start with Hugo2 and add a TT2 when you get the funds. Then you can sell the H2 if you don't need the portability. However, I still have a problem with the last point, as H2 is such a versatile and quality device that it is hard to do away with it :)
Yes, agreed - the Hugo 2 stays with me, too. It's a great source for both home-based and on-the-go listening; these days, more so for the latter function.

Sep 9, 2021 at 2:58 PM Post #20,316 of 22,475
Thanks! What do you mean by "former"? My existing device or one of the Hugo 2 and ifi iDSD? TT2 definitely my next step in a year, I'm pretty sure, if Chord's sound will be mine. But overall - I totally agree that TT2 is just an end-game for few years for me. You make me confident to go with Hugo 2 first.
My apologies, if I was ambiguous in my reply.

In the context of my answer, by "former", I meant the Hugo 2. Despite being a lot smaller than the iFi Pro iDSD, it is a step above in resolution, detail, dynamics, and layering. The Pro iDSD has a warmer and fuller sound, and definitely engages on the musical front. However, on a sheer technical basis, it loses out to the Hugo 2 in a mano-a-mano fight.

The Pro iDSD has greater driving capability, of course; if this is a factor, you can always consider getting an amplifier to pair with the Chord. Otherwise, I'd be perfectly happy to keep the Hugo 2 as an all-in-one listening unit, as opposed to the iFi Pro iDSD.

Sep 9, 2021 at 4:41 PM Post #20,317 of 22,475
My apologies, if I was ambiguous in my reply.

In the context of my answer, by "former", I meant the Hugo 2. Despite being a lot smaller than the iFi Pro iDSD, it is a step above in resolution, detail, dynamics, and layering. The Pro iDSD has a warmer and fuller sound, and definitely engages on the musical front. However, on a sheer technical basis, it loses out to the Hugo 2 in a mano-a-mano fight.

The Pro iDSD has greater driving capability, of course; if this is a factor, you can always consider getting an amplifier to pair with the Chord. Otherwise, I'd be perfectly happy to keep the Hugo 2 as an all-in-one listening unit, as opposed to the iFi Pro iDSD.
Got it. Thanks for confirming! Yeah, I just ordered Hugo 2 today in the morning. Should arrive in 3-5 days, so will share feedback once test it!

Sep 23, 2021 at 5:13 PM Post #20,319 of 22,475
I did a Hugo 2 video review for my new YouTube channel:

Enjoy!

Sep 24, 2021 at 2:29 AM Post #20,320 of 22,475
Thanks
Hugo 2 paired with the iFi Pro iCan, driving the Focal Stellia, is SO GOOD!
20210912_095534.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2021 at 3:24 AM Post #20,321 of 22,475
Last edited:
Sep 24, 2021 at 3:41 AM Post #20,322 of 22,475
The Topping BC3 is a great Bluetooth LDAC connected to the Hugo 2 via fiber toslink. Also have an Audioengine B Fi streamer (wifi DLNA). To switch between inputs I use 3x1 fiber switch.

BTW, I have another Topping BC3 (slighly faulty) connected to my Mojo.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2021 at 4:09 AM Post #20,324 of 22,475
Damnit!, I wasted so long worrying about my Chord Hugo 2 having line-out mode problems distorting.

Turned out I need to lower the Hugo2 line-out with RCA attenuators place into the amp's RCA inputs.(-10db lowering in my case). To ease off the stress into the amp.

This is an analog attenuation so minimal compromises? Not sure, either way it worked greatly.

I had upgraded amps from Monoprice THX887 to a Fluxlab FA-10 class-a amp hoping to address this (and compensate for the Hugo 2's clinical unforgiving playback).

But the THX amp too is now working and competent with this solution. (Though I wish somebody would make an optimized special power supply for that amp)

By the way, FA-10 amp really compensates well for the Hugo2. FA-10 is mostly neutral. Untouched mids, but the treble is eased off a step (to be forgiving).
Bass is very very subtly more punchy if using the xlr output of the amp, and you get uncolored bass out of the single-ended 6.3mm jack.

s-l400 (1).jpg
s-l400 (2).jpg

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2021 at 4:19 AM Post #20,325 of 22,475
The Topping BC3 is a great Bluetooth LDAC connected to the Hugo 2 via fiber toslink. Also have an Audioengine B Fi streamer (wifi DLNA). To switch between inputs I use 3x1 fiber switch.

BTW, I have another Topping BC3 (slighly faulty) connected to my Mojo.
Slightly faulty?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back