considering the Kann Alpha as an alternative
never mind to get somewere close to Hugo 2 with KANN Alpha
it's just another level, go for a Hugo 2 and feel happy

going to use my iPhone 11 and laptop as the source
good, but will not reach even the half of Hugo 2 limit
try at least xDuoo X10T II and coax cable
it will overplays almost any USB bitperfect device
even with a cheap HyBy cable it plays better than 2Go
(I have personaly compared them face to face)
1629928025144.png

1629928057198.png

You can monolith it with Hugo 2 using a 3M Dual Lock SJ4570 Low Profile Reclosable Fastener
For more thin solution you can use HiBy R3 Pro, but SQ will be just slightly better than iPhone 11
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cho...fficial-thread.831345/page-1330#post-16280970

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2021 at 6:01 PM Post #20,282 of 22,516
Hey folks! I'm selling off my desktop DAC/AMP (topping A90 and Schiit Modi Multibit) and want something transportable that sounds analog and smooth yet super resolving and can drive anything from my U12T to a potential LCD-4 I might get in the near future. I'm thinking of getting a used Chord Hugo 2. I want something more resolving than the iFi IDSD signature, and was looking at just DAPs but they don't fit the bill unfortunately. I'm going to use my iPhone 11 and laptop as the source.

Would this set up be a wise one?
I don't have the LCD-4 so can't comment directly. However, I do own Auteur, which are slightly more demanding according to their specifications (same 97 dB/mW sensitivity, Auteur 300 Ohms impedance vs 200 Ohms for LCD-4). While Auteur are dynamic cans vs planar LCD-4, their specs are close enough that Auteur should give a good approximation of how LCD-4 will perform out of H2.

Honestly, I've been listening to Hugo 2 ==> BX2+ for a while now and so haven't listened to Auteur direct out of H2 much lately. I got the BX2+ because of my Heddphones, which are very demanding and which I wasn't satisfied with driven directly out of H2. Note that Heddphone is the most demanding can I own -- 87 dB/mw & 42 Ohms impedance.

I'll have a listen tonight to Auteur direct out of H2 and let you know what I hear. Note that my other planars (HEKse & Ether 2) won't do much to help with this question. Ether 2 is significantly less sensitive (92 dB/mW), and has much lower impedance (16 Ohms). HEKse is closer, (96 dB/mW, 35 Ohms), but still pretty far away.

BTW, I searched the 28 H2 reviews here, and not one mentions trying LCD-4 direct out of H2. There are a couple mentions of LCD-2 sounding great direct out.

Aug 25, 2021 at 7:25 PM Post #20,283 of 22,516
I’m not convinced H2 will drive LCD-4 to fill potential. LCD 4Z perhaps. Analog is not what I would describe the H2. it’s a solid state DAC through and through so I’m not sure whether your perception of analogue differs to mine.

others will chime in. Portable, super resolving and drive everything - usually pick 2 (portable being the kicker)
H2 will drive the utopia and 4z well...the 4 not so much....

Aug 25, 2021 at 11:42 PM Post #20,284 of 22,516
…I'll have a listen tonight to Auteur direct out of H2 and let you know what I hear…
Plenty of volume — listening on green/turquoise, which seems to be around 40% on the chart in the manual.

But later you wrote:
… I can't stand harsh or bright treble. I need something that sounds analog.
I don’t hear H2 as bright, but some reviews and impressions have said that. Personally I think it might be a bit of ‘brighter sounds more detailed’ turned on its head meaning H2 is very detailed and some ears might interpret that as’bright’.

I will say that, even though H2 drives all my cans except Hedd effectively, I still prefer listening to all of them via H2==>BX2+. Different reasons for each of them:

Hedd — power, impact
HEKse — fills in mids more which helps with overall tendency to sound a bit ‘thin’
Ether 2 — impact, liveliness
Utopia — least difference, helps headstage a bit
Auteur — (my most ‘amp-tweakable’ cans) headstage, more bass ‘grunt’, allows H2 detail & precision to be musical/flowing

Don’t misunderstand, I really like H2 alone. But once I added the amp for my Hedd it was like:

“ … well it‘s there, so I’ll try it with them … hey!”

But at the end of the day it’s small differences and I can certainly enjoy listening direct out of H2. And the portability thing doesn’t affect me— I only use it as ‘transportable’ moving from location to location in the house or at work — I have DAPs for ‘out-and-about’.
It’ll be a good deal if you can find a Hugo 2 for $1300 :beerchug:

Aug 26, 2021 at 1:32 AM Post #20,285 of 22,516
Hey folks! I'm selling off my desktop DAC/AMP (topping A90 and Schiit Modi Multibit) and want something transportable that sounds analog and smooth yet super resolving and can drive anything from my U12T to a potential LCD-4 I might get in the near future. I'm thinking of getting a used Chord Hugo 2. I want something more resolving than the iFi IDSD signature, and was looking at just DAPs but they don't fit the bill unfortunately. I'm going to use my iPhone 11 and laptop as the source.

Would this set up be a wise one?

I'm not aware of anything (trans)portable that can keep up with the Hugo 2.
H2 is smooth in the sense of sounding very natural, defined and accurate from top to bottom yet being free of aritifical "sharpening" or edginess.
The Mojo is smoother, has a more fluid presentation with just slightly softer mids, more fluid treble and a softer, warmer, less defined low end.

There are quite credible rumors of an imminent release of Mojo 2 with new generation FPGA, which suggests more calculation power. That could turn out to be something in between the current Mojo and the Hugo 2 with a price that's likely much closer to the Mojo.
I doubt though that, based on the size limitations, the output stage can be as powerful, sophisticated and transparent as that of the Hugo 2.

But honestly an IEM of the caliber of the U12T deserves the Hugo 2 IMO.

Aug 26, 2021 at 7:10 AM Post #20,287 of 22,516
I'm not US based, but I think Hugo 2 for $1300 is one hell of a deal!
Got mine for around that price and agree - one hell of a deal!

Aug 26, 2021 at 12:16 PM Post #20,289 of 22,516
The Headfoneshop in Toronto has a used H2 with case for $1600.00 CAD.

Aug 31, 2021 at 3:16 PM Post #20,290 of 22,516
In China, a used Hugo2 goes for about 1000 USD and a new one for about 1500 USD. Great deal if you can manage the transportation cost.

Aug 31, 2021 at 3:23 PM Post #20,291 of 22,516
In China, a used Hugo2 goes for about 1000 USD and a new one for about 1500 USD. Great deal if you can manage the transportation cost.

If a price is too good to be true...

How would the Chinese manage to sell NEW Hugo 2s for $1500 unless some fakery and fu**ery is afoot? :) It would mean that Chord, the UK manufacturer of the product, is unloading new units to the Chinese market for even less than that. Not possible.

Aug 31, 2021 at 4:57 PM Post #20,292 of 22,516
If a price is too good to be true...

How would the Chinese manage to sell NEW Hugo 2s for $1500 unless some fakery and fu**ery is afoot? :) It would mean that Chord, the UK manufacturer of the product, is unloading new units to the Chinese market for even less than that. Not possible.
Well it's there on Taobao. Search for yourself if you want to. China's Chord and A&K dealer network is really messed up. Crazy prices every where. Crazier if you know the right people. Been that way for ages.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2021 at 6:04 PM Post #20,294 of 22,516
Sep 6, 2021 at 1:02 PM Post #20,295 of 22,516

Users who are viewing this thread

Back