Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Dec 21, 2020 at 2:00 PM Post #19,532 of 22,537
Up to 1000e

There's a B&W that's loved across the board for somewhere just under that budget.
There's KEF LSX it think it's called. (The small LS50.)

Also, I would not worry about the speakers having to be so sensitive. As long as you don't want music loud, that is. The Hugo 2 is capable of going quite loud near field. I use TT2 on 86dB speakers, and I never need it louder than the Hugo 2 could go.

Dec 21, 2020 at 9:20 PM Post #19,533 of 22,537
post a picture of the label on your power supply.
Thank you sir. Here is my power charger.

I managed to get it to charge to the light blue zone (power light glowing light blue) yesterday and I used it for a bit in desktop/line out mode, left it plugged in and on overnight, come back to it tonight and it’s powered down and power light is yellow-green upon turning it back on. Does this seem normal? In the past week, leaving it in desktop mode has drained it to blinking red power and I’ve had difficulty recharging it. 3CEBAFDA-2A1A-4081-809E-D3182360227D.jpeg144887CE-916F-4621-A2F6-F0000CCB8A2F.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2020 at 1:51 AM Post #19,534 of 22,537
Thank you sir. Here is my power charger.

I managed to get it to charge to the light blue zone (power light glowing light blue) yesterday and I used it for a bit in desktop/line out mode, left it plugged in and on overnight, come back to it tonight and it’s powered down and power light is yellow-green upon turning it back on. Does this seem normal? In the past week, leaving it in desktop mode has drained it to blinking red power and I’ve had difficulty recharging it.
Desktop mode does not begin until the Hugo2 has been plugged in to an active power supply for 24 hours. You were still in battery mode.

In battery mode, Hugo2 shuts off after 10 minutes of non-use.

Even in desktop mode, once achieved, you should not leave Hugo2 turned on when not using it. There is no need.

Dec 22, 2020 at 1:58 AM Post #19,535 of 22,537
I've never understood why active models would be popular with Chord DAC owners...
depending on the Active, it can give some different tuning to the speakers. On the other hand some active's doesn't allow it to bypass the DAC portion even on analog inputs, in this case, doesn't make sense to me as well.

Dec 22, 2020 at 4:52 AM Post #19,536 of 22,537
depending on the Active, it can give some different tuning to the speakers. On the other hand some active's doesn't allow it to bypass the DAC portion even on analog inputs, in this case, doesn't make sense to me as well.
I was responding to a post about KEF speakers where the DAC cannot be bypassed... so we are in full agreement.

Dec 22, 2020 at 6:39 AM Post #19,537 of 22,537
I remember a post several years ago on the What HiFi forum, from an aussie ex-dealer trying to explain the confusion.

Powered speakers - accept the analogue inputs, and feed it to analogue amps (driven by the mains power)
Active speakers - accept analogue inputs, perform dsp, then feed it to digital amplifiers

The big issue was that the trade started to refer to both types of speaker as active, without explaining the concepts to joe public, who then became confused.

Dec 22, 2020 at 6:50 AM Post #19,538 of 22,537
You're right. I had both cases. For the Powered Speakers they were actually powered monitors. I think that's the most common form of powered speakers.

Dec 22, 2020 at 7:51 AM Post #19,539 of 22,537
I have a very strange issue with my Hugo 2. For a while I've been hearing a scratchy sound when playing native DSD. I've been unable to locate the source of the issue until this morning: the problem seems to be related to the filters on the Hugo 2. In particular, when I'm on filters 2 and 4 (green and red), there's no issue. However, on 1 and 3 (white and orange) the problem is there.

Notably, this doesn't happen when DSD is converted to PCM. I've tried multiple configurations and sources, and it's always the same. Never had this issue until recently.

Anyone heard of this or know a fix?

Thanks.

Dec 22, 2020 at 1:49 PM Post #19,540 of 22,537
Trouble setting to line-level mode on Hugo2 with 2GO version 1.03 firmware. I hold he far two right buttons (Power and X-PHD) until boot up and all lights stop flashing. But x-PHD stays light red. I understand it has to be purple to get to line level mode? Am I doing something wrong?

Dec 22, 2020 at 2:50 PM Post #19,541 of 22,537
Trouble setting to line-level mode on Hugo2 with 2GO version 1.03 firmware. I hold he far two right buttons (Power and X-PHD) until boot up and all lights stop flashing. But x-PHD stays light red. I understand it has to be purple to get to line level mode? Am I doing something wrong?
Where did you get this notion? It's not mentioned in the manual.

Dec 22, 2020 at 2:55 PM Post #19,542 of 22,537
Where did you get this notion? It's not mentioned in the manual.
Thanks @technobear I am loving the Hugo2/2Go thus far, but found the manual less then perfectly clear for someone that has not used the product previously - and I am fairly tech savvy. To answer your question in step 03 of the manual it shows a purple light next to the words “Line Level.” After further research and testing on and off, it appears the purple may actually not be on the X-PHD button, but the Volume. Is that your understanding? Thanks!

Dec 22, 2020 at 3:07 PM Post #19,543 of 22,537
Thanks @technobear I am loving the Hugo2/2Go thus far, but found the manual less then perfectly clear for someone that has not used the product previously - and I am fairly tech savvy. To answer your question in step 03 of the manual it shows a purple light next to the words “Line Level.” After further research and testing on and off, it appears the purple may actually not be on the X-PHD button, but the Volume. Is that your understanding? Thanks!
I think what is called line out mode is just certain level of volume settings you can get there by increasing the volume to relevant colour. To get to line out mode I think you need to press the relevant buttons shortly after powering h2 during lights flashing Christmas tree..

Dec 22, 2020 at 3:56 PM Post #19,544 of 22,537
Yes, it's the volume control that will be purple.

Note that Line Level mode sets the volume to a specific level (3V) but does not fix the volume. You can still adjust it.

It also seems from recent discussion here that the Hugo2 only remembers the last volume set by the volume control. It doesn't remember the line out level. However, if you set Line Level mode and then make a small adjustment (easily done with one click of the remote) then this level will then be remembered.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2020 at 10:16 PM Post #19,545 of 22,537
Desktop mode does not begin until the Hugo2 has been plugged in to an active power supply for 24 hours. You were still in battery mode.

In battery mode, Hugo2 shuts off after 10 minutes of non-use.

Even in desktop mode, once achieved, you should not leave Hugo2 turned on when not using it. There is no need.
Thanks, still a little confused. As per the below post I have attached and some others that I saw, the implication I have seen is that by turning it off you are exiting desktop mode? Maybe I’m just confused on what some of these terms mean.

Another question: In line-out/desktop mode, is the power light supposed to be a certain color? (NOT the volume light, which I know should be magenta)
40E01F98-9334-4892-8050-3A2F3C810C47.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back