Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Dec 24, 2020 at 8:54 PM Post #19,561 of 22,475
THX
Will give it a go....🎄
tried 8 different PEQ's, might belong at a different thread at the end of it as not CH2 specific....but?

I just opened a can of worms and Pandora's box.............what is neutral? used them for 6 years and now........what is reality??

maybe diffrent thread??

Dec 28, 2020 at 4:52 AM Post #19,562 of 22,475
You can safely ignore all the bit and frequency rates -- you'll never get anywhere near the limits of them.

I can not agree here...
HQPlayer is a brilliant upsampler -- it does DSD512 just AMAZINGLY
And that's why for now I can't decide between great transport (the one like Pi4 + DigiOne but able to deliver 32/384 with coax) and just good PCIe bridge like Pink Faun https://www.pinkfaun.com/shop/bridg...ltra_ocxo/195-bracket_height-792_mm_3118_inch

I have two setups now:
Using Tidal -> Roon -> HQPlayer -> SOMETHING?? -> Hugo 2/ADI-2 Pro --> Violctric 281/Beta 22 --> Great custom silver cables -> Ether C Flow/AKG K872

And I'm hardly looking for that SOMETHING, but can't agree frequency rates doesn't matter
HQPlayer just a game changer here as it delivers DSD512 with fantastical quality over 24/192

Dec 28, 2020 at 10:22 AM Post #19,563 of 22,475
I can not agree here...
HQPlayer is a brilliant upsampler -- it does DSD512 just AMAZINGLY
And that's why for now I can't decide between great transport (the one like Pi4 + DigiOne but able to deliver 32/384 with coax) and just good PCIe bridge like Pink Faun https://www.pinkfaun.com/shop/bridge/use44-2915-usb-bridge.html#/193-additional_clock_for_bridge-ultra_ocxo/195-bracket_height-792_mm_3118_inch

I have two setups now:
Using Tidal -> Roon -> HQPlayer -> SOMETHING?? -> Hugo 2/ADI-2 Pro --> Violctric 281/Beta 22 --> Great custom silver cables -> Ether C Flow/AKG K872

And I'm hardly looking for that SOMETHING, but can't agree frequency rates doesn't matter
HQPlayer just a game changer here as it delivers DSD512 with fantastical quality over 24/192
If I understand your question correctly. I use an SRC-DX in the chain Server running HQPlayer>ethernet>Allo Usbridge sig(ropieee naa)>usb>SRC-DX>dual bnc>H2 or TT2

Dec 29, 2020 at 3:17 PM Post #19,564 of 22,475
If I understand your question correctly. I use an SRC-DX in the chain Server running HQPlayer>ethernet>Allo Usbridge sig(ropieee naa)>usb>SRC-DX>dual bnc>H2 or TT2

That wasn't a question but was an answer to "safely ignore all the bit and frequency rates -- you'll never get anywhere near the limits of them".
And the answer is "Try using HQPlayer instead of ignoring all the bit and frequency rates. Move on further, don't stay."

But thanks for your suggestions in transport department!

Dec 31, 2020 at 7:55 AM Post #19,565 of 22,475
I first use the normal mode of Hugo 2 to use RCA output to my A90 which serves as a preamp. If I turn the volume on Hugo 2 way up to white. Then I get way much power and have to turn the volume knob on A90 way too low, almost closed. However, if I active the purple line out mode, I get less power and just use A90 as a preamp. I found the line-out (purple) mode is more useful in this case and sounds better than do double volume control on both Hugo 2 and A90.

I am using Roon in Device Volume mode -> A90-> Focal Shape Twins.20201128_142302.jpg

Topping A90 will give full power with Line-out 3V mode from Hugo 2 with High Gain.
It is okay to tune the voulme of A90 all the way to MAX as it will not degrade the sound quality and it will not clip.

But if you used Mid-Gain in A90 which I recommended, the A90 need 8.8V input to give you full power like high-gain but Hugo2 line out mode gives 3V, and you can click 6 time up to reach around 5V from Hugo2 to A90

Jan 2, 2021 at 12:14 PM Post #19,566 of 22,475
I have measured the inset diameter for the RCA phono at 13.0 mm. Given the 13.6 mm diameter is at the larger knurled end, I think the WBT will easily fit.
Yesterday I received a pair of Silver Dragon RCA interconnects with WBT connectors. I believe that the connector expands a bit when inserted and tightened, but I can confirm that the WBT does (just barely) fit into the Hugo 2.

Jan 2, 2021 at 10:32 PM Post #19,567 of 22,475
Yesterday I received a pair of Silver Dragon RCA interconnects with WBT connectors. I believe that the connector expands a bit when inserted and tightened, but I can confirm that the WBT does (just barely) fit into the Hugo 2.

I have Kimber Hero interconnects with the WBT. They don't just barely fit. They fit very well.

Jan 4, 2021 at 3:37 PM Post #19,568 of 22,475
Hi, looking for any Hugo2Go/Roon users for a question. I use my 2Go on my desktop solely-I have no need for transportability whatsoever, so my Hugo2Go is always in desktop mode. And, i use it exclusively with Roon via a direct ethernet connection to my home LAN. I found the nativeDSD download site and pulled down a couple of DSD512 albums. When I played through Roon, I saw that it was down-sampling to DSD256 and I couldn't figure out why. Never, ever occurred to me that the 2Go would only do DSD256 when the Hugo2 can handle DSD512.

I realized this over the weekend and my dealer tells me they are perfectly fine if I want to return the 2Go, as I am not the first to mention this to them. Not knowing if Chord will provide a firmware update for the 2Go to provide DSD512, I am wondering what Roon endpoints folks are using to front-end their Hugo2, in case I want to return the 2Go. I have experience with the Sonore products, but am looking for another option.

I may just keep the 2Go since I love the lack of clutter on my desktop with it-power cable, ethernet cable, good to go, and aesthetically, it finishes off the Hugo2 very nicely, but wondering what other folks do to help with my decision. With other endpoint options I will likely be looking at external linear power supplies, more cabling, etc. Now, I'm not looking for a discussion over the merits of the various DSD sampling rates, but by gosh I paid for DSD512 capability on my Hugo2 and the downloads from the nativeDSD site, and I might want to take advantage of it.

thanks!

Jan 4, 2021 at 3:42 PM Post #19,569 of 22,475
Hi, looking for any Hugo2Go/Roon users for a question. I use my 2Go on my desktop solely-I have no need for transportability whatsoever, so my Hugo2Go is always in desktop mode. And, i use it exclusively with Roon via a direct ethernet connection to my home LAN. I found the nativeDSD download site and pulled down a couple of DSD512 albums. When I played through Roon, I saw that it was down-sampling to DSD256 and I couldn't figure out why. Never, ever occurred to me that the 2Go would only do DSD256 when the Hugo2 can handle DSD512.

I realized this over the weekend and my dealer tells me they are perfectly fine if I want to return the 2Go, as I am not the first to mention this to them. Not knowing if Chord will provide a firmware update for the 2Go to provide DSD512, I am wondering what Roon endpoints folks are using to front-end their Hugo2, in case I want to return the 2Go. I have experience with the Sonore products, but am looking for another option.

I may just keep the 2Go since I love the lack of clutter on my desktop with it-power cable, ethernet cable, good to go, and aesthetically, it finishes off the Hugo2 very nicely, but wondering what other folks do to help with my decision. With other endpoint options I will likely be looking at external linear power supplies, more cabling, etc. Now, I'm not looking for a discussion over the merits of the various DSD sampling rates, but by gosh I paid for DSD512 capability on my Hugo2 and the downloads from the nativeDSD site, and I might want to take advantage of it.

thanks!

Allo USBridge Signature

Jan 4, 2021 at 3:51 PM Post #19,570 of 22,475
Have you tried foobar2000?
And did you run it through Hugo 2 USB?
It could be an issue on asio driver, or the setup on Roon or 2Go?.

I had issue with foobar2000 to play DSD512 through USB to DAC, but it turns out an issue of
driver DoP limitation or something like that, so I follow the setup here(foobar2000 sacd setup),
and I can play DSD512 with any DAC which is capable of DSD512 native, even on ESS9018 dac.

I just ordered Hugo2Go and waiting, so I can't try it right now.

Jan 4, 2021 at 3:56 PM Post #19,571 of 22,475
thanks folks, sorry I should have mentioned.

It's not a defect with the 2Go, it's clearly stated in it's specs that its ceiling is DSD256. Never occurred to me to even look though. Since it only works with one DAC and that DAC supports DSD512.......you know?

Jan 4, 2021 at 5:01 PM Post #19,572 of 22,475
thanks folks, sorry I should have mentioned.

It's not a defect with the 2Go, it's clearly stated in it's specs that its ceiling is DSD256. Never occurred to me to even look though. Since it only works with one DAC and that DAC supports DSD512.......you know?
Ok, I didn't read thru the spec either before I ordered.
But, in this case, I believe that 2GO should be easy to update for DS512 since it only passes the content not decoding it.

Jan 4, 2021 at 5:26 PM Post #19,573 of 22,475
Indeed, I have the question out to Chord regarding a firmware update in the near future. The 2Go is a great device. Expensive as all get out, but the sound is awesome-does not color the Hugo2 at all to my ears, keeps everything tidy, and really looks great. I doubt I will return it, and just continue to work with DSD256. Can my ears tell the difference between 256 and 512? Very, very doubtful and I realize that. The files I pulled down that run at DSD256 are simply jaw-dropping. I had intermittent issues with various Sonore Roon endpoints, but from the day I snapped the 2Go onto the H2, it's been Roon bliss.

Jan 4, 2021 at 5:33 PM Post #19,574 of 22,475
read in some threads where people claim DSD256 is good that they
convert all PCM to dsd256 offline for their library.
For same track, I can't hear difference between flac and dsd64 (upsampling).
I guess that it has to record in dsd256 to sound good, up sampling is just patch extra space with blank in the record?

Jan 7, 2021 at 9:02 AM Post #19,575 of 22,475
I am in the market for a small network streamer to partner with my Hugo 2**. This will be solely for late night listening with headphones, and the streamer will not be connected to my hifi.
I am intrigued by this Pro-ject streamer - https://www.project-audio.com/en/product/stream-box-s2-ultra/ - but I'm unsure whether I can connect it to the Hugo 2. Would I be able to use a USB cable from the Pro-ject streamer to the micro USB input of the Hugo 2(see Technical specifications in the link I've supplied), or is it actually a USB A to USB B cable that is required here, which would make it a no goer as the Hugo 2 does not have that type of input?

Any help gratefully appreciated.Thanks.

**The obvious answer is of course buy the Chord 2Go. Long story short - Been there and did that last year, eventually sold it due to far too many problems.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back