Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Nov 20, 2020 at 6:45 AM Post #19,321 of 22,475
Yes. Should work up to DSD128. My AK DAP kicked the bucket so I can't test, but I'm pretty sure I've done it before.

This isn't correct.

TOSlink is limited to DoP64 (uses datastream of PCM176.4kHz).

For it to work with DSD128, TOSlink would need to support PCM352.8kHz... which it doesn't.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2020 at 2:08 PM Post #19,322 of 22,475
I just got a solar panel and gotta love it, I’m charging my Hugo 2 with it. You can’t see the charge light on in this picture, however it is on and charging :)

E73D617B-F8F3-4963-9896-CDAD4999F3AA.jpeg

Nov 20, 2020 at 2:20 PM Post #19,324 of 22,475
How many watts are you getting, bearing in mind that we are approaching the shortest day.

It’s a 100 W panel however the USB outs on it output I believe 5 V at 2.4 A, fine for USB devices.

Nov 20, 2020 at 3:40 PM Post #19,325 of 22,475
Hugo2 sounds similar to other cheap Dacs when you paired with Spotify and Youtube. Will do more compare and contrast with Tidal !

i tend to listen to Hugo2 through stereo speakers. And the Hugo2 gives me an amazing “holographic” sound compared to cheaper Dacs irrespective of the quality of the input of the music ie MP3 or FLAC. So I don’t agree with you. I have had my Hugo2 for over 2 years now. And it still gives me shivers down my Spine on a frequent basis as to how good it sounds

Nov 20, 2020 at 4:25 PM Post #19,326 of 22,475
i tend to listen to Hugo2 through stereo speakers. And the Hugo2 gives me an amazing “holographic” sound compared to cheaper Dacs irrespective of the quality of the input of the music ie MP3 or FLAC. So I don’t agree with you. I have had my Hugo2 for over 2 years now. And it still gives me shivers down my Spine on a frequent basis as to how good it sounds
I am still continuing to test the use cases that @NickT23 was asking about.
Spotify or Youtube source>poor quality recordings>laptop streaming>usb cable>mojo or hugo 2 >Beyer DT 770 Pro 250 ohms
He also asked about scalability of headphones, so I am also comparing the DT 770 Pro 250 ohms with my Aeon Flow Closed headphones.
My preliminary findings are that he must have an issue somewhere with his laptop, usb cable, quality of the music that he listens to, or headphones.

I disagree with those posters who insisted that all music on Spotify or Youtube is crap.

Using Spotify or Youtube source>good quality recordings>desktop streaming>optical cable>hugo 2 >Beyer DT 770 Pro 250 ohms and Aeon Flow Closed
  • Beyer DT 770 Pro 250 ohms - generally the music is quite good quality, and listenable, but the transients feel slow and the music does sound slightly veiled
  • Aeon Flow Closed - generally the music is good quality, and listenable, but now the transients feel much faster and the music does sound close to CD quality
I have yet to compare the usb input, or try the Mojo or a dap - but certainly my DT 770 Pro 250 ohms are coming out second best, in every test that I try. This answers one of my own questions - time to sell the Beyers.

So yes streaming good recordings>optical cables>a good dac> good headphones, allows a good music listening experience.
This influences my preliminary findings above, because @NickT23 seems to be having such a bad experience

Inevitably using CD or FLAC stored on a SD card is better (from experience).

Nov 20, 2020 at 4:30 PM Post #19,327 of 22,475
I am still continuing to test the use cases that @NickT23 was asking about.
Spotify or Youtube source>poor quality recordings>laptop streaming>usb cable>mojo or hugo 2 >Beyer DT 770 Pro 250 ohms
He also asked about scalability of headphones, so I am also comparing the DT 770 Pro 250 ohms with my Aeon Flow Closed headphones.
My preliminary findings are that he must have an issue somewhere with his laptop, usb cable, quality of the music that he listens to, or headphones.

I disagree with those posters who insisted that all music on Spotify or Youtube is crap.

Using Spotify or Youtube source>good quality recordings>desktop streaming>optical cable>hugo 2 >Beyer DT 770 Pro 250 ohms and Aeon Flow Closed
  • Beyer DT 770 Pro 250 ohms - generally the music is quite good quality, and listenable, but the transients feel slow and the music does sound slightly veiled
  • Aeon Flow Closed - generally the music is good quality, and listenable, but now the transients feel much faster and the music does sound close to CD quality
I have yet to compare the usb input, or try the Mojo or a dap - but certainly my DT 770 Pro 250 ohms are coming out second best, in every test that I try. This answers one of my own questions - time to sell the Beyers.

So yes streaming good recordings>optical cables>a good dac> good headphones, allows a good music listening experience.
This influences my preliminary findings above, because @NickT23 seems to be having such a bad experience

Inevitably using CD or FLAC stored on a SD card is better (from experience).

From a private conversation I had it seems like he doesn't even own the Hugo 2, in any case, this discussion sounds a lot like trolling from his side, not really adding much useful information to the thread.

Nov 20, 2020 at 4:42 PM Post #19,328 of 22,475
He is certainly an impatient guy, which irritated some of you, but I don't think he is a troll.
I also believe that all of you who were stating that everything on Spotify or Youtube is not worth considering by a true audiophile, need to go and look in the mirror.
Whether or not you think the questions are useful, I think the findings are useful for any newbies considering buying a Hugo 2.

Nov 20, 2020 at 4:45 PM Post #19,329 of 22,475
He is certainly an impatient guy, which irritated some of you, but I don't think he is a troll.
I also believe that all of you who were stating that everything on Spotify or Youtube is not worth considering by a true audiophile, need to go and look in the mirror.
Whether or not you think the questions are useful, I think the findings are useful for any newbies considering buying a Hugo 2.

No need for reflection, I've done my own tests and reached different conclusions than you and that's fine. I trust my own ears.

Also, at the risk of sounding snobby, the headphones you used for testing aren't exactly the most revealing out there.

Nov 20, 2020 at 5:05 PM Post #19,330 of 22,475
No need for reflection, I've done my own tests and reached different conclusions than you and that's fine. I trust my own ears.

Also, at the risk of sounding snobby, the headphones you used for testing aren't exactly the most revealing out there.
Yes you do sound snobby, but you can look down your nose at me, if you want.

We both have the hugo2. I have asked myself that if I spend €4k, will it be better to upgrade my DAC to the TT2, or buy a TOTL pair of headphones.
I would choose the TT2, whereas you chose the TOTL headphones.
Our wallets, our choices.

Nov 20, 2020 at 5:09 PM Post #19,331 of 22,475
Yes you do sound snobby, but you can look down your nose at me, if you want.

We both have the hugo2. I have asked myself that if I spend €4k, will it be better to upgrade my DAC to the TT2, or buy a TOTL pair of headphones.
I would choose the TT2, whereas you chose the TOTL headphones.
Our wallets, our choices.

I wasn't saying it to "look down my nose at you", only as a matter of fact. Especially considering he was asking specifically about these sources and their quality through Hugo 2 and resolving headphones.

Spend your money on whatever makes you happy. Again, I wasn't saying it to crap on you, only as a matter of fact that they're not the most resolving drivers/headphones to test these sources with Hugo 2.

Nov 20, 2020 at 5:20 PM Post #19,332 of 22,475
I wasn't saying it to "look down my nose at you", only as a matter of fact. Especially considering he was asking specifically about these sources and their quality through Hugo 2 and resolving headphones.

Spend your money on whatever makes you happy. Again, I wasn't saying it to crap on you, only as a matter of fact that they're not the most resolving drivers/headphones to test these sources with Hugo 2.
I don't dispute that if I spend €4k on TOTL headphones, they will be more revealing.
Have you ever tried the Aeon Flow Closed?

Anyway IMHO €4k headphones are overkill for the Hugo2, when you could spend the same amount of money on improving the source to the TT2 first.

Nov 20, 2020 at 5:26 PM Post #19,333 of 22,475
I don't dispute that if I spend €4k on TOTL headphones, they will be more revealing.
Have you ever tried the Aeon Flow Closed?

Yes, they're alright, but I stand by my previous statement.

Anyway IMHO €4k headphones are overkill for the Hugo2, when you could spend the same amount of money on improving the source to the TT2 first.

That's a fair opinion, I happen to disagree. It doesn't change what I've already said either.

None of this is to belittle anyone, I'm simply stating facts. You seem to be taking this personally, and it's certainly not intended to be.

Nov 20, 2020 at 5:58 PM Post #19,334 of 22,475
I just got a solar panel and gotta love it, I’m charging my Hugo 2 with it. You can’t see the charge light on in this picture, however it is on and charging :)

E73D617B-F8F3-4963-9896-CDAD4999F3AA.jpeg
Nice idea but not for daytime listening. hehe

Nov 20, 2020 at 9:50 PM Post #19,335 of 22,475
From a private conversation I had it seems like he doesn't even own the Hugo 2, in any case, this discussion sounds a lot like trolling from his side, not really adding much useful information to the thread.

So people who ask questions pertinent to their expected use scenarios are not adding useful information and trolling? Given the price of a Hugo2, don't you think it is natural that people would want to know if it is suitable for the kind of use they intend to put it to? People are not allowed to ask questions because that is not adding information? If he already owned a Hugo2 he could just test these scenarios himself, no need to ask here.

I really suggest you get off your high horse and show some understanding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back