Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Nov 8, 2020 at 8:17 AM Post #19,201 of 22,475
Stupid question. Don’t see the answer in the manual. When plugged in continuously and off the power light flashes white. Is this correct?
For the chord dacs, flashing white usually means that the charger is not supplying enough current.
Can happen when owners use a 'smart charger' , which ramps down the current to a 'trickle charge mode' when it senses that the battery is near full charge.
The result is that the Hugo 2 senses that the battery is not fully charged, and that the charger is supplying too little current to complete the charging.

Nov 8, 2020 at 9:05 AM Post #19,202 of 22,475
Too long it seems but noted on there. I wonder if there is a short cut and stuff.
And when I say "Any of you tried with cheap and low end headphones like me ?"
I mean are there any improve in sound quality in comparison to the Hugo2 with cheap o2Odac ?
If you mean this, then I am sure that the H2 will kick the pants off it.

The more interesting topic, is what do you mean by 'cheap and low end headphones', because this can mean different things to different owners?

Some owners give the impression that any headphones less than $4k, are for the lowest class of owners only.

If you are referring to $10 headphones, then you are generally wasting your time, although I remember that @Music Alchemist used to be a fan of some of the cheapish Koss models (sorry I can't remember the model, but a search of the mojo thread will probably find the posts).
If your sights/budget are set slightly higher, there are plenty of headphones that offer great bang per buck, and work well with the H2, but I will only list headphones that I use:

Nov 8, 2020 at 9:15 AM Post #19,204 of 22,475
Anyone of you in this forum, can you any of you as many possible tell me what input and output analog are you using as well as your gear. Like are you guys using micro usb to type a or any type of connection ? Or are you guys using optical or coaxial ?
I started with Mojo and using a phone as a source - worked well, once I added a ferrite choke to the usb cable, to remove the RFI.
I also used a Shanling M1, but the usb cable did not need a ferrite choke.
I then moved on to using optical cable from my PC (or bluray player), both for Mojo or Hugo 2, and this provides better, less bright, audio than using usb.
I also have a rarely used Mojopoly, but again good sound quality from the SD card.

Nov 9, 2020 at 3:15 AM Post #19,206 of 22,475
Hugo 2 switched off, with the charging cable connected, and the power ball is dark.
Remote switches the Hugo 2 on.
Remote switches the hugo 2 off.
Hi, I received support from Chord support.

So am I right ? Where the remote unable to turn on the Hugo2 when not in charging operation ?
Yes- the Hugo2 needs to be charging or in desktop mode (connected to the mains for more than 24 hours).
All the best

So their engineering reasons behind it was the following in general, where the Hugo2 will only respond to a standby command when plugged into the mains adapter. This is to prevent it being turned on accidentally and draining the battery. Which I still does not make sense but maybe am not knowledgeable enough.

Always felt that as a protable amp/dac its less convenient to bring 2 cable one for charging and one for daily playlist if use simultaneously.

Nov 9, 2020 at 3:46 AM Post #19,208 of 22,475
I started with Mojo and using a phone as a source - worked well, once I added a ferrite choke to the usb cable, to remove the RFI.
I also used a Shanling M1, but the usb cable did not need a ferrite choke.
I then moved on to using optical cable from my PC (or bluray player), both for Mojo or Hugo 2, and this provides better, less bright, audio than using usb.
I also have a rarely used Mojopoly, but again good sound quality from the SD card.
Am actually referring to the Hugo2 only !

Nov 9, 2020 at 7:18 AM Post #19,210 of 22,475
Yes Hugo 2 may be turned on or off via the remote so long as the charger is connected.

I really wish we could get some firmware update to enter the desktop mode easeir

Nov 9, 2020 at 8:04 AM Post #19,211 of 22,475
I really wish we could get some firmware update to enter the desktop mode easeir

I don't understand. You don't need to be in desktop mode for the remote to turn on or off Hugo 2 - you just need to connect the charger. Desktop mode only does a couple of things - reduce the battery voltage for longer battery life, and stop auto shutdown.

Nov 9, 2020 at 8:14 AM Post #19,212 of 22,475
I don't understand. You don't need to be in desktop mode for the remote to turn on or off Hugo 2 - you just need to connect the charger. Desktop mode only does a couple of things - reduce the battery voltage for longer battery life, and stop auto shutdown.

I think he means that he would like to enter desktop mode without waiting 24 hours after plugging it in.

Nov 9, 2020 at 8:31 AM Post #19,213 of 22,475
Nov 9, 2020 at 2:56 PM Post #19,214 of 22,475
I have started using my Hugo 2 after a long wait and I noticed something about the volume wheel/marble I'd like to ask about:

The marble looks perfectly positioned, centered when viewed from above, but when sitting at my desk and viewing the marble from an angle, one side has no gap, while the other side has a visible 1.5 mm or so gap between it and the edge of the case. See 12:41 here - . Do you see that slight gap on the top side of the volume marble? Mine is about twice as big and I can see inside. I am worried dust will gradually go in.

Is this normal? Are there variations between units and some just happen to be this way?

Does anyone know why part of the color is washed out on the volume marble of the Hugo 2? If you look at the marble straight on the marble color is full, but when you look at if from an angle part of the color is washed out. Easy to see on this video at 0:04 green light or at 11:47 red light. My Hugo 2 behaves this way. Not sure if it is normal or if I need to get it serviced.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2020 at 1:37 PM Post #19,215 of 22,475
I'm wanting to upgrade to a Hugo 2, but considering it is 3 yrs old, is it better to wait for a Hugo 3? I would think in the last 3 yrs, FPGA chips have doubled in performance, good enough for a new Hugo?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back