Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Sep 23, 2020 at 7:00 AM Post #18,991 of 22,475
I have a quick question which I have researched but cannot find a conclusive answer to and would appreciate any feedback.

Considering my Hugo2 is doing the actual D/A conversion, is using an iPhone (with the music and/or Onkyo HD player app) giving me the best I can get or would I notice a difference going to an actual stand alone player?

thanks in advance for any help.

I have tried 3 methods to connect my Hugo2 using my iem:
1.) Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra (I didn't install any bit-perfect usb output software) -> Hugo2 (usb input)
2.) HP Laptop (using Sony music center) -> USB to s/pdif converter (Topping D10s) -> Hugo 2 (optical input)
3.) Lotoo Paw 6000 (DAP) -> Hugo2 (USB input)

To my ears, the 3rd method is the best option. Follow by 2nd method, which is quite close to the 1st.
The handphone connect directly to Hugo2 is good but not the same quality as the methods 2 & 3.

Example:
You are attending a piano concert,
Method 3, you feel like the pianist playing just for you. You can focus on pianist performance in a dark hall with a spotlight highlighting the performer. (Dark background)
Method 2, the pianist playing for you but with few audiences around. You still can focus on the pianist performance in a dark hall with a spotlight highlighting the performer. (Dark background with a little noise)
Method 1, you are witching the piano concert with many audiences. You still can hear the music note but you won't able to focus the music like method 1. (with noise)

Hope I give the correct examples....lol

Sep 23, 2020 at 7:36 AM Post #18,994 of 22,475
None of them are, this adapter probably just ties the grounds from the 4.4mm together.
If it's SE anyway, then it's probably better to use, on the other end, a simple (and good quality) 4.4 to 6.35 or 3.5 adapter...

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2020 at 10:53 AM Post #18,995 of 22,475
If it's SE anyway, then it's probably better to use, on the other end, a simple (and good quality) 4.4 to 6.35 or 3.5 adapter...

Yes. Its SE.
But I don't know SE can be this good before I hear the Hugo2 personally to believe it.

Yes. All outputs are connected from the same place within Hugo2. Theoretically, the sound qualities should be same.

However, the sound coming out from RCA to 4.4 adaptor is different. I have compared it with ddhifi 3.5 to 4.4 adaptor.

In summary, it's not a day & night but the sound stage is obviously larger while the details and the sound signature remain same.

I can hear a better "sound/air between the space" due to a wider sound stage in some recording. (It's not about the instrument separation or positioning)

I don't know why and how this happen. Maybe like what currawang mentioned in earlier post and video, it's due to RCA output can solve the crosstalk issue.

Again, it's not day & night different but enough to let me enjoy and appreciate my music more :)

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2020 at 12:01 PM Post #18,996 of 22,475
I have tried 3 methods to connect my Hugo2 using my iem:
1.) Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra (I didn't install any bit-perfect usb output software) -> Hugo2 (usb input)
2.) HP Laptop (using Sony music center) -> USB to s/pdif converter (Topping D10s) -> Hugo 2 (optical input)
3.) Lotoo Paw 6000 (DAP) -> Hugo2 (USB input)

To my ears, the 3rd method is the best option. Follow by 2nd method, which is quite close to the 1st.
The handphone connect directly to Hugo2 is good but not the same quality as the methods 2 & 3.

Example:
You are attending a piano concert,
Method 3, you feel like the pianist playing just for you. You can focus on pianist performance in a dark hall with a spotlight highlighting the performer. (Dark background)
Method 2, the pianist playing for you but with few audiences around. You still can focus on the pianist performance in a dark hall with a spotlight highlighting the performer. (Dark background with a little noise)
Method 1, you are witching the piano concert with many audiences. You still can hear the music note but you won't able to focus the music like method 1. (with noise)

Hope I give the correct examples....lol
thanks for your input, appreciated

Sep 23, 2020 at 12:10 PM Post #18,997 of 22,475
Yes. Its SE.
But I don't know SE can be this good before I hear the Hugo2 personally to believe it.

Yes. All outputs are connected from the same place within Hugo2. Theoretically, the sound qualities should be same.

However, the sound coming out from RCA to 4.4 adaptor is different. I have compared it with ddhifi 3.5 to 4.4 adaptor.

In summary, it's not a day & night but the sound stage is obviously larger while the details and the sound signature remain same.

I can hear a better "sound/air between the space" due to a wider sound stage in some recording. (It's not about the instrument separation or positioning)

I don't know why and how this happen. Maybe like what currawang mentioned in earlier post and video, it's due to RCA output can solve the crosstalk issue.

Again, it's not day & night different but enough to let me enjoy and appreciate my music more :)
This topic came up earlier, maybe a month or so ago. One head-fi-er hypothesized that there could be a difference between the RCA and headphone outputs. AFAIK, that has never been confirmed by Chord. I do know that Chord takes a rather dim view of this adaptor and said so in a very terse post.

Sep 23, 2020 at 12:32 PM Post #18,998 of 22,475
This topic came up earlier, maybe a month or so ago. One head-fi-er hypothesized that there could be a difference between the RCA and headphone outputs. AFAIK, that has never been confirmed by Chord. I do know that Chord takes a rather dim view of this adaptor and said so in a very terse post.

Could be due to impedance. The Headphone out is 0.2 ohms. I don’t know the impedance of the RCA out. I do know that the KSE 1200 running off of the RCA outputs and headphone out are noticeably different sounding. The RCA to KSE is much brighter and thinner than the headphone out.

Sep 23, 2020 at 2:59 PM Post #18,999 of 22,475
I have a quick question which I have researched but cannot find a conclusive answer to and would appreciate any feedback.

Considering my Hugo2 is doing the actual D/A conversion, is using an iPhone (with the music and/or Onkyo HD player app) giving me the best I can get or would I notice a difference going to an actual stand alone player?

thanks in advance for any help.

A very short answer w/o going into the "why's": There can be a difference. Depends on the player / app, the difference can be big or small. Depends on your ears, the difference may or may not be audible. Depends on your taste, the difference may or may not be an improvement.

My suggestion is to prioritize convenience over trying to squeeze out that last ounce of Hugo's performance. After all, it's the Hugo that's playing the music, so it can't be bad.

Sep 23, 2020 at 3:04 PM Post #19,000 of 22,475
Yes. Its SE.

Just want to add that this better imaging / soundstage on RCA over the phone out is even more audible on speakers than on headphones.

Sep 23, 2020 at 3:30 PM Post #19,001 of 22,475
Rob watts confirmed it on post # 18,190

Sep 26, 2020 at 1:45 PM Post #19,003 of 22,475
Could be due to impedance. The Headphone out is 0.2 ohms. I don’t know the impedance of the RCA out. I do know that the KSE 1200 running off of the RCA outputs and headphone out are noticeably different sounding. The RCA to KSE is much brighter and thinner than the headphone out.

The impedance is the same since it is connected to the same source inside the box. As a wise person has said, if there is a difference it is probably due to less crosstalk when using RCA.

If the RCA is much brighter and thinner, then the most likely reason is a bad solder, bad cable or some other fault. Try different cables and if that does not work have your unit checked.

Sep 26, 2020 at 2:33 PM Post #19,004 of 22,475
The impedance is the same since it is connected to the same source inside the box. As a wise person has said, if there is a difference it is probably due to less crosstalk when using RCA.

If the RCA is much brighter and thinner, then the most likely reason is a bad solder, bad cable or some other fault. Try different cables and if that does not work have your unit checked.

I appreciate the input. However, the cable is of high quality (WyWires Red). I use it on the Mojo in the reverse fashion and have no issues. My unit is not an issue either as I connect it to my main system via RCA and it sounds amazing. My main system likewise is very resolving.

Rob Watts just said it was connected to the same output as the headphone jacks. He made no comment about impedance. Logically it should be the same or similar, I understand. Maybe my use of "much" was too strong. I should say it was noticeably different. The KSE1200s in general are amazingly resolving and detailed.

This was an observation supporting how running headphones/IEMs directly off RCA sounded different. I'd be curious if there are any other KSE1200 owners comparing the Hugo 2 RCA out vs 3.5mm out sonic differences. I doubt there are many of us out there. I also highly doubt there are many people that are running their IEMs/Headphones directly off of the RCA output in general. As with all audio discussion, I submit this with the disclaimer YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back