Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jun 17, 2020 at 7:57 PM Post #18,632 of 22,546
Does the Hugo 2 work / sound well as a DAC only into tube amps (pendant for example) ?

I'm not a critical listener, but i recently purchased the Hugo 2 and had a zmf pendant amp for VC headphone, and pairing sounds pretty good to me. Comparing SMSL D1 -> Pendant vs Hugo 2 -> Pendant there seemed to be something different to the sound, but I'm not really sure. Ether way I liked Hugo 2 pairing better.

Jun 19, 2020 at 9:05 AM Post #18,633 of 22,546
@Rob Watts and everyone else.

I recently came across some IEMs you might be interested in, Mr Watts. (When I say came across, I mean bought.) The Shure KSE1200.

Since you travel a lot by aeroplane, I wondered if the noise isolation with them, might suit you. The isolation is actually very nice. (Better than my AKG N5005.)

The KSE 1200 are electrostatics, and require an energiser, so another gadget. However the plus side is off the charts - the sound. I have only been trying them a day and am getting used to them, but I can say wow. We all pretty say that at first though.

Anyway I had been agonising over some headphones for a long time. However with one aspect or another I never decided or auditioned. I remember seeing the review of the KSE1500, and the KSE1200 are the same but without a built in DAC. The only possible upgrade I can imagine is an UPOCC copper cable between DAC and electrostatic energiser.

Today I was listening with the Mojo and having a, "Why spend more?" moment. .... Then I remembered the clarity of the Hugo 2 over the Mojo (and the Mojo's slight graininess.) Of course Hugo 2 is incredible with them.

To put the KSE1200 into perspective, the KSE1500 (same headphones), were described as arguably the best headphones made. That was by What HiFi (WHF). I think there has been some new Stax since then though. Anyway in WHF's review of the KSE1200, they say, quote,

"The KSE1200s are terrifically responsive too, managing to track transients and the dynamic envelope of a note with unusual agility. Compared with this, even excellent high-end over-ear headphones such Focal’s Stellia (£2795) sound a little slow, soft and blurred."

That probably puts the KSE1200 firmly in the Focal Utopia area. On the Hugo 2 they are so fast. I can't help wondering if they would be perfect for your travels. Plus they take 5V 1A input to charge, via the same micro USB Chord DACs use. (You can Poweradd Pro them as you go.)

I have no idea, but I was even wondering if you might ease carrying the M-Scaler, with these IEMs. Although after all is said and done, I never heard you express interest in IEMs. Plus I recall you saying whichever DAC you use, you don't mind, but the M-Scaler must be there. (Just maybe, the KSE1200 are fast enough though to allow you to carry one less item about, the M-Scaler.)

More from What HiFi on the KSE1200
  • If you’re the kind of person who wants to hear every tiny speck of detail, these are the headphones for you. When it comes to sheer analysis, we can’t think of any better rival.
  • Tonally these are beautifully even.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2020 at 9:23 AM Post #18,635 of 22,546
Yes I have heard them a few years back, and I recall them sounding very detailed but refined.

But I personally I don't get on with IEMs; after an hour my jaw and ears ache, so not much use for ten hour flights - not that I am doing that any more!

That's cool.

I think IEM can be a bit of an acquired taste, especially regarding comfort.

However I bought the AKG N40 based on review, and report of being comfortable. The AKG N5005 are just as comfy.

I also found two ways of inserting the KSE1200.
1. Push them in quite far. Then they eventually after a good time get uncomfortable.
2. Even with just the stock fitted tip, just push them in lightly. The stock tips are the right width for me, and being squishy, shape to the ear canal. Since they are only lightly pushed in, I barely feel them. Remarkably they seal.

Anyway no worries.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2020 at 1:49 PM Post #18,637 of 22,546
I +1 the KSE1200 with the H2. Incredible combo.

Jun 22, 2020 at 10:44 AM Post #18,640 of 22,546
There are many uncomfortable IEMs from what I understand. However I only buy ones that are reviewed as comfortable. No point doing otherwise.

Like for example the new-ish Sony flagship IEMs, the IER-Z1R are said to sound excellent. Folk are reporting them uncomfortable though.

The AKGs that I have, are barely even noticeable in use and I can wear them all day. (That's both the N40 and the N5005.) The KSE 1200 have very good comfort, and have worn them for many hours. The housing is larger than the AKG so getting them right takes a little more care only sometimes. Generally Shure IEMs suffer no comfort criticism.

Overall though, unless you need IEMs, I would say over-ears are the best option from every perspective. (Except maybe isolation.) However the KSE1200 were the right option for me, and I have worn them for pretty much a day. Am still looking for a full-size headphone though. The successful sound quality of the KSE1200 is making me think about electrostatic headphones now too. Whereas before I was closed to the idea of another amp/energiser in the path. Whereas the sound of the KSE1200 is so good, I am considering electrostatic full size headphones. The lack of distortion, speed, tonal accuracy, and temper of the music, is remarkable. Albeit as I say, in IEM presentation.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2020 at 11:08 AM Post #18,641 of 22,546
Tell you one extra aspect about the KSE1200 on the Hugo 2.

Reducing the volume on the KSE1200 gives more volume modulation on the Hugo 2. Whereas with my other IEMs, the Hugo 2 volume moved a bit quickly for me.

Jun 23, 2020 at 5:57 AM Post #18,642 of 22,546
Yes I have heard them a few years back, and I recall them sounding very detailed but refined.

But I personally I don't get on with IEMs; after an hour my jaw and ears ache, so not much use for ten hour flights - not that I am doing that any more!
If it is of any help I have the same problem with the original buds on all Shure IEMs but since swapping them with Comply buds the problem has never returned and I can literally wear the KSE1200's for hours non stop without pain or discomfort.

and they sound superb with the Hugo2.

Jun 23, 2020 at 6:00 AM Post #18,643 of 22,546
There are many uncomfortable IEMs from what I understand. However I only buy ones that are reviewed as comfortable. No point doing otherwise.

Like for example the new-ish Sony flagship IEMs, the IER-Z1R are said to sound excellent. Folk are reporting them uncomfortable though.

The AKGs that I have, are barely even noticeable in use and I can wear them all day. (That's both the N40 and the N5005.) The KSE 1200 have very good comfort, and have worn them for many hours. The housing is larger than the AKG so getting them right takes a little more care only sometimes. Generally Shure IEMs suffer no comfort criticism.

Overall though, unless you need IEMs, I would say over-ears are the best option from every perspective. (Except maybe isolation.) However the KSE1200 were the right option for me, and I have worn them for pretty much a day. Am still looking for a full-size headphone though. The successful sound quality of the KSE1200 is making me think about electrostatic headphones now too. Whereas before I was closed to the idea of another amp/energiser in the path. Whereas the sound of the KSE1200 is so good, I am considering electrostatic full size headphones. The lack of distortion, speed, tonal accuracy, and temper of the music, is remarkable. Albeit as I say, in IEM presentation.
I have always had issues with the Shure IEM comfort using the original buds (on the 425 and also the 846s) but since I started using the Comply tips this has completely disappeared.

The KSE1200 are absolutely incredible IEMs I love them, they manage to give me the "Stax" sound but with the full bass.

Jun 24, 2020 at 5:00 AM Post #18,644 of 22,546
EDIT: Thank you for you answer from the TT2 thread. I angled it differently for the Hugo 2, but the principle applies.

Have come across a slight issue with the electrostatic powered Shure KSE1200 and Hugo 2 only when plugged in.

(@Rob Watts please could you advise me.)

When playing Hugo 2, DAP file source, and Shure KSE, all is good on battery with Hugo 2. That's how I always use Hugo 2; on battery.

However when I plug in Hugo 2 charger I get some noise. It sounds like 50Hz mains noise. However it could be ground loop noise, or general RFI noise. Touching the Hugo 2 makes it go away, and so does touching the KSE1200 power-pack. ….. One aspect that did surprise me is that charging the KSE1200 while playing does not make the noise.

I have the same with the TT2 and the Shure KSE 1200.
Touching the:
TT2
KSE1200
Amplifier
DAB

- makes the noise go away.

I have earthed the TT2 via the coaxial outer casing in the TT2. I ran a line to my central heating for earth. Not very elegant, and I think I will buy an iFi Groundhog. (Can't help wondering about going all out and trying the iFi PowerStation. That has earthing of some kind, but not figured it out yet.) I did have one other input to this. When I earth my amplifier, then touched the amplifier, the noise increased. Meanwhile with amplifier earthed, and I touched the TT2 or Shure, the noise stopped.

There is one other aspect though. The noise seems to go away early evening. Either that or I have something else plugged in to the mains circuit causing the noise. Something that I switch off and it makes me think the noise has gone at certain times. Will test more of this.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2020 at 7:38 AM Post #18,645 of 22,546
EDIT: Thank you for you answer from the TT2 thread. I angled it differently for the Hugo 2, but the principle applies.

Have come across a slight issue with the electrostatic powered Shure KSE1200 and Hugo 2 only when plugged in.

(@Rob Watts please could you advise me.)

When playing Hugo 2, DAP file source, and Shure KSE, all is good on battery with Hugo 2. That's how I always use Hugo 2; on battery.

However when I plug in Hugo 2 charger I get some noise. It sounds like 50Hz mains noise. However it could be ground loop noise, or general RFI noise. Touching the Hugo 2 makes it go away, and so does touching the KSE1200 power-pack. ….. One aspect that did surprise me is that charging the KSE1200 while playing does not make the noise.

I have the same with the TT2 and the Shure KSE 1200.
Touching the:
TT2
KSE1200
Amplifier
DAB

- makes the noise go away.

I have earthed the TT2 via the coaxial outer casing in the TT2. I ran a line to my central heating for earth. Not very elegant, and I think I will buy an iFi Groundhog. (Can't help wondering about going all out and trying the iFi PowerStation. That has earthing of some kind, but not figured it out yet.) I did have one other input to this. When I earth my amplifier, then touched the amplifier, the noise increased. Meanwhile with amplifier earthed, and I touched the TT2 or Shure, the noise stopped.

There is one other aspect though. The noise seems to go away early evening. Either that or I have something else plugged in to the mains circuit causing the noise. Something that I switch off and it makes me think the noise has gone at certain times. Will test more of this.

Thank you for you answer from the TT2 thread. I angled it differently for the Hugo 2, but the principle applies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back