Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Feb 21, 2020 at 4:38 AM Post #18,151 of 22,475
Feb 21, 2020 at 8:34 AM Post #18,152 of 22,475
I prefer my TT to my H2. I eliminate all the tap counters by feeding it with HQPlayer sinc-m filter. This actually makes it a higher tap count than the Dave.
I was exhibiting at CanJam NYC with my wares RF optimizing both a Hugo2 and TT2 through a similar HQPlayer setup. I had Utopia and HE1000se headphones available and in the quiet before the attendees showed up I had a good listen to both. I must say that the Hugo2 sounded incredibly good - even preferential to the TT2 (its extra taps not being used). So, IMO, the Hugo2 fed from HQPlayer PCM (sinc-m/LNS15) is amazing and a endgame combo when RF isolated.

Feb 21, 2020 at 8:55 AM Post #18,153 of 22,475
I was exhibiting at CanJam .NYC with my wares RF optimizing both a Hugo2 and TT2 through a similar HQPlayer setup. I had Utopia and HE1000se headphones available and in the quiet before the attendees showed up I had a good listen to both. I must say that the Hugo2 sounded incredibly good - even preferential to the TT2 (its extra taps not being used). So, IMO, the Hugo2 fed from HQPlayer PCM (sinc-m/LNS15) is amazing and a endgame combo when RF isolated.

I forget just how good my Hugo 2 was, and I'm pretty sad that 2go wasn't released a year earlier. If it had, I doubt I would of bought my TT2, as 2go would of made my Hugo 2 complete.

However, TT2 has much more oomph factor than Hugo 2. The only way I can describe it is, listening to Hugo 2 is like getting a slap in the face, but listening to music from TT2 is like a kick in the nuts, it's that good, well, as good as a kick in the nuts can be.

TT2 has more body compared to Hugo 2, also looking back and if I recall correctly, Hugo 2 sounded bright to me and I will admit, when I first started getting into this hifi game, I thought bright sounding music was how things were meant to sound, but now I know that brightness usually means rfi.

Anyway, I just thought I would share my love for two bloke's called Hugo.

Feb 21, 2020 at 9:10 AM Post #18,154 of 22,475
No involvement with 2Go - it has the same developer as Poly.

What about 2yu ? Did you have any involvement in that, as I thought I read somewhere that said it had a built in dac.

I could be wrong though, as it doesn't take much to confuse me nowadays, it's like dementia, but without having the dementia part.

Feb 21, 2020 at 12:01 PM Post #18,156 of 22,475
Not 2yu too. There is no DAC in 2yu though.

And yes it's easy today to get confused, we are assaulted with too much data and spurious noise!

A slap in the face and a kick in the nuts is not spurious noise, it's a term of endearment, and I mean that, both h2 and tt2 sound excellent, but tt2 does have more oomph in my opinion.

I'm surprised that 2yu doesn't have a dac inside it, as I could of sworn someplace said that it did, but hey ho, not to worry, I will look in my browsers history to see if I can find who said it.

This corona virus, will it affect any plans that chord have of visiting asia this year, canjams etc ?

Feb 21, 2020 at 6:02 PM Post #18,157 of 22,475
Not 2yu too. There is no DAC in 2yu though.

And yes it's easy today to get confused, we are assaulted with too much data and spurious noise!
Hi Rob, while you are here....I just sent my CH2 for repair due to the RCA connection extremely tight (used Chord Cobra 3) and the termination on the CH2 RCA golden part started to come out and I hade terrible sound coming out of it and also hum when on charging, anyhow when I get my beloved one back, Now using the daughter Mojo/HD800...not the same thing... I would like for this not to happen again, what RCA cable do you recommend that would not be too tight which can be connected and disconnected over time without any issues?

Feb 21, 2020 at 9:22 PM Post #18,158 of 22,475
No involvement with 2Go - it has the same developer as Poly.

Thanks for clearing this up. You are the only guy at Chord who I respect and I think your work is incredible.

But the guys behind the Poly are complete amateurs and no product is worth $1200 made by a couple of school kids. So thanks for saving my money.

Looking forward to your next product (hint: The Mojo has not received an update yet).

Feb 24, 2020 at 1:37 PM Post #18,160 of 22,475
I was exhibiting at CanJam NYC with my wares RF optimizing both a Hugo2 and TT2 through a similar HQPlayer setup. I had Utopia and HE1000se headphones available and in the quiet before the attendees showed up I had a good listen to both. I must say that the Hugo2 sounded incredibly good - even preferential to the TT2 (its extra taps not being used). So, IMO, the Hugo2 fed from HQPlayer PCM (sinc-m/LNS15) is amazing and a endgame combo when RF isolated.

This is serendipitous. I was just about to post in this thread asking for feedback on H2 with HE1000SE and Utopia headphones! They are on my short list for a purchase.

I've currently got a great H2 based system, HD800 (SDR mod) & Heimdall 2, M scaler & Wave BNC. It's wonderful and insightful but I loved my very short listening experience with the Utopia and HE1000v2 (unfortunately in show conditions). The HD800 is amazing but can make music sound like an HD800 version of the recording. I have a pair of Audeze LCD 2 headphones and am always surprised at how unique each recording sounds compared to the HD800. I still love the HD800 but want to try a headphone that gives me some musical soundstage and atmosphere detail rather than micro detail.

Would the Utopia or HE1000se be a good match for the H2?

Ade

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2020 at 1:41 PM Post #18,161 of 22,475
This is serendipitous. I was just about to post in this thread asking for feedback on H2 with HE1000SE and Utopia headphones! They are on my short list for a purchase.

I've currently got a great H2 based system, HD800 (SDR mod) & Heimdall 2, M scaler & Wave BNC. It's wonderful and insightful but I loved my very short listening experience with the Utopia and HE1000v2 (unfortunately in show conditions). The HD800 is amazing but can make music sound like an HD800 version of the recording. I have a pair of Audeze LCD 2 headphones and am always surprised at how different each recording sounds compared to the HD800. I still love the HD800 but want to try a headphone that gives me some musical soundstage and atmosphere detail rather than micro detail.

Ade

I've enjoyed the Hugo2/Utopia pairing for almost 3 years now. To me, the Utopia is an HD800s with better detail retrieval, actual physical impact, and more meat on its bones (more fleshed out bass/mids).

Feb 24, 2020 at 2:01 PM Post #18,162 of 22,475

I've currently got a great H2 based system, HD800 (SDR mod) & Heimdall 2, M scaler & Wave BNC. It's wonderful and insightful but I loved my very short listening experience with the Utopia and HE1000v2 (unfortunately in show conditions). The HD800 is amazing but can make music sound like an HD800 version of the recording. I have a pair of Audeze LCD 2 headphones and am always surprised at how unique each recording sounds compared to the HD800. I still love the HD800 but want to try a headphone that gives me some musical soundstage and atmosphere detail rather than micro detail.

Ade

Hi, Ade, excuse me for coming in here, only I had the HD800 with Hugo, Hugo 2, and demo TT. It was wonderful with sparsely recorded music, and top recordings, fantastic soundstage. But for Rock and more popular music, I found myself missing the immediacy of my £350 Grados. The soundstage seemed just too wide. I felt there must be something in the middle and finally found Mr Speakers Ether Closed, a really good all-rounder. With some sadness I then sold the HD800.

Last year I decided to add Utopia that I've always liked but felt a bit expensive. The shop owner actually talked me out of sale by urging me to try STAX 009s and 700, the 700 being cheaper than Utopia. They were indeed Utopia-like but much better but cheaply made compared with 9s and plasticky. The other downside was the need for a separate Energiser, making it more difficult taking from room to room and outdoors in summer that I like. Still got to make the Stax / Utopia decision.

Unless Heddphone actually becomes available, and sounds as good on a further demo as it did on my Hugo 2 last summer.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2020 at 5:17 AM Post #18,164 of 22,475
Synergy plays a big role in this set up.

20200226_124931.jpg

Feb 26, 2020 at 8:35 AM Post #18,165 of 22,475
Hi everyone

Happy, happy Hugo2 user from San Jose, Costa Rica. Quick question:

My Hugo2 is usually connected to my power amp and acts as source and preamp. Sometimes, I unhook it to take it to my desk, or bedside table to listen with headphones. It rarely goes out of the house. So I was wondering if it would be a better idea to keep it plugged to the a Poweradd Pilot Pro2 (or any other battery that you can recommend), and permanently on, so that it stays in desktop mode. This way, if there's a blackout (which happens in my area every now and then, even if just for a few seconds) or if I want to move it from the stereo system to the desk, it will remain in desktop mode. Is the power drawn by the Hugo2 when it is on but not playing any music enough to prevent the battery from auto-shutting down, or can this feature just be disabled? (of course, the battery would remain connected to the mains)

Any suggestions? Can Mr. @Rob Watts kindly pitch in here?

Thanks, and hats off to Mr. Watts for his amazing designs!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back