Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Feb 6, 2019 at 4:44 PM Post #15,346 of 22,535
I didn’t particularly notice the sound getting thicker via the Taurus. The difference was not huge so I wouldn’t worry too much that you're missing out with your current setup. I had the Qutest first and was very happy with the setup. If it were me, I would aim for the TT2 and enjoy what you have for now.

I personally really like the cross feed sound that the Hugo/TT/DAVE allow, so I will keep the Hugo, and will likely sell my Qutest at some point, unless I move it to a speaker setup.

Feb 6, 2019 at 6:38 PM Post #15,347 of 22,535
Thanks very much for taking the time for doing this comparison. I think your findings will be beneficial for many.
One more question: have you found that the sound get a bit thicker with the Taurus or there was no difference?

I really get this 'transparency over all' argument and Rob's aim to recreate the most realistic sound. That's the very reason I got hooked on Chord DAC's back then when the Mojo came out. But apart from practical reasons between owning a Hugo2 or a Qutest + CMA600i for desktop use, I am not sure which sound I would prefer. My long term goal maybe next year is to buy a TT2, but until then I should settle down with either the Hugo2 or the Qutest+600i.

Perhaps my biggest concern about the Hugo2 as a desktop DAC/amp is the battery. I know, Hugo2 has a desktop mode, but Chord says Mojo can be plugged in 24/7 as well, and I remember from the Mojo thread many people frying their batteries this way including me with my first Mojo. I love Chord, but somewhat don't trust what they say about batteries after this experience, sorry. Has any of you guys had problems with Hugo2 battery?

My other problem with the Hugo2 for desktop use is the tiny micro-USB slots. I much prefer USB-B for DAC connection.

Apart from these slight technical issues I am also not sure which sound I'd prefer from the above mentioned two possibilities. I love transparency and I love Chord DACs. Qutest to my CMA600i is pretty much the best setup I have ever owned. I did test the Hugo2 when it was new, but that was quite a while ago and with different headphones. So I don't really know how it would compare to my present combo. I like the texture, sweetness and liquidity of the 600i with the Qutest. Perhaps I should just settle down with this combo until I can afford a TT2. I might gain some transparency with the Hugo2 but then I might loose some let's say 'coloration' which my ears like from this amp for now.

I also spoke to some other Hugo2 and Qutest owners, and actually many of them like to hook up the Hugo2 to an amp every now and then. Good amps, like the Violetric V281, Audio GD Master 9 and that category. So the idea of using Hugo2 (or Qutest) with a headphone amp might not be straight from the devil.
I am so torn, I might try to get a Hugo2 and test it against my Qutest/600i combo. I obviously can't afford both, because if I could, the TT2 would be just a tiny baby step away. :)

I know, this is getting into a 'beating the dead horse' kind of debate, but if anyone feels there is some potentially useful comment on their hearts, please don't keep it to yourself. Thanks.
In the first place, I've not had battery problems. My first Hugo's battery died right about the time my H2 arrived, and it was fixed for a minimal charge of around CAN$30-40. I leave my H2 perminantly plugged in with no issues, and I turn it on or off as neede. I don't know about Mojo problems, but most Chord battery issues are overblown. Chord has copious representation on Head-fi, even access to the owner and designer of their products. I doubt they'd deliberately lie.
For amp choices, if I were to choose such a direction, I could see myself going with a Questyle, as I like the sound of their QP1R DAP. I love so-called cold, analytical clear sound. I don't see warm as a compliment. I don't feel the need to bring H2 with me as my QP is adequate for OTG.
Maybe a bit muddleheaded, but I hope it gives you at least one angle.

Feb 7, 2019 at 1:34 AM Post #15,348 of 22,535
That’s a good point regarding the battery. A Chord rep at one of the UK hifi shows also told me the Hugo 2 battery is much easier to replace if required. It’s no longer integrated like the first Hugo.

If you read older Chord threads, you can see where Chord have listened to user feedback and tried to address concerns or feature requests. Take the variable output available with Qutest for example, which wasn’t available with the 2qute or earlier models. I suspect that was primarily in response to the feedback on these forums. The additional work Rob has done around battery health and management for Hugo 2 feels like it’s come from a similar place. So I personally am not worried about the Hugo 2 battery.

That’s one of the reasons I quite like Chord products. Aside from the technology and quality, they do appear to listen to what users are saying.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2019 at 4:06 AM Post #15,349 of 22,535
Thanks very much for taking the time for doing this comparison. I think your findings will be beneficial for many.
One more question: have you found that the sound get a bit thicker with the Taurus or there was no difference?

I really get this 'transparency over all' argument and Rob's aim to recreate the most realistic sound. That's the very reason I got hooked on Chord DAC's back then when the Mojo came out. But apart from practical reasons between owning a Hugo2 or a Qutest + CMA600i for desktop use, I am not sure which sound I would prefer. My long term goal maybe next year is to buy a TT2, but until then I should settle down with either the Hugo2 or the Qutest+600i.

Perhaps my biggest concern about the Hugo2 as a desktop DAC/amp is the battery. I know, Hugo2 has a desktop mode, but Chord says Mojo can be plugged in 24/7 as well, and I remember from the Mojo thread many people frying their batteries this way including me with my first Mojo. I love Chord, but somewhat don't trust what they say about batteries after this experience, sorry. Has any of you guys had problems with Hugo2 battery?

My other problem with the Hugo2 for desktop use is the tiny micro-USB slots. I much prefer USB-B for DAC connection.

Apart from these slight technical issues I am also not sure which sound I'd prefer from the above mentioned two possibilities. I love transparency and I love Chord DACs. Qutest to my CMA600i is pretty much the best setup I have ever owned. I did test the Hugo2 when it was new, but that was quite a while ago and with different headphones. So I don't really know how it would compare to my present combo. I like the texture, sweetness and liquidity of the 600i with the Qutest. Perhaps I should just settle down with this combo until I can afford a TT2. I might gain some transparency with the Hugo2 but then I might loose some let's say 'coloration' which my ears like from this amp for now.

I also spoke to some other Hugo2 and Qutest owners, and actually many of them like to hook up the Hugo2 to an amp every now and then. Good amps, like the Violetric V281, Audio GD Master 9 and that category. So the idea of using Hugo2 (or Qutest) with a headphone amp might not be straight from the devil.
I am so torn, I might try to get a Hugo2 and test it against my Qutest/600i combo. I obviously can't afford both, because if I could, the TT2 would be just a tiny baby step away. :)

I know, this is getting into a 'beating the dead horse' kind of debate, but if anyone feels there is some potentially useful comment on their hearts, please don't keep it to yourself. Thanks.

Coming from Mojo, one of the primary motivations for upgrading to Hugo 2 was the desktop mode. The portability of the devices is not really important to me to be honest. Reading about it online and in this thread gave me the confidence that Hugo 2 could be operated as a (very) high end static DAC/amp combo by utilising the desktop mode. With Mojo I just was not comfortable leaving it permanently plugged in and so I would just let it run down and charge. Sometimes during playback, sometimes overnight - not a big deal given the sound but a bit inconvenient nevertheless.

I'm also very surprised at just how often I use the remote. I never touch Hugo!

Feb 7, 2019 at 5:02 AM Post #15,350 of 22,535

I leave my Hugo2 plugged in 24/7 and nothing fried yet. Not heard of this problem with Hugo2 from others on this forum.

Feb 7, 2019 at 6:37 AM Post #15,352 of 22,535
Coming from Mojo, one of the primary motivations for upgrading to Hugo 2 was the desktop mode. The portability of the devices is not really important to me to be honest. Reading about it online and in this thread gave me the confidence that Hugo 2 could be operated as a (very) high end static DAC/amp combo by utilising the desktop mode. With Mojo I just was not comfortable leaving it permanently plugged in and so I would just let it run down and charge. Sometimes during playback, sometimes overnight - not a big deal given the sound but a bit inconvenient nevertheless.

I'm also very surprised at just how often I use the remote. I never touch Hugo!

i have more or less the exact same sentiments as you in mind

contemplating the Hugo 2 as a replacement for Mojo

or, keep mojo as a dac and get an amp to pair with mojo (cheaper alternative)

i have a "Desktop mode" for my Mojo where i plugged 2 micro usb's into the mojo but connected to a usb hub with switches. whenever i want to listen, i simply press a button to stop charging and press another button to connect mojo to my mac

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2019 at 6:57 AM Post #15,353 of 22,535

i have a "Desktop mode" for my Mojo where i plugged 2 micro usb's into the mojo but connected to a usb hub with switches. whenever i want to listen, i simply press a button to stop charging and press another button to connect mojo to my mac

I just kept the micro USB charging cable handy, so I would just pop it in as necessary. Not a big deal, and probably not worth £1400 difference in price for that convenience alone. The primary concern ought to be sound. Desktop mode sealed the deal for me, basically.

When contemplating an upgrade I knew I wanted to stay Chord. The Qutest was an appealing option but finding the right amplifier seemed difficult plus Hugo 2 takes up an insignificant amount of desk real estate compared with Qutest + amplifier. For me, at this early stage of Hugo 2 ownership, it's the perfect solution. Plus, as I say, I really do like the remote. I did not expect to use it so much, it just saves reaching over!

Aiming to spend some time writing sound impressions this weekend, after which I'll have had a week with it. There are already clear differences between it and Mojo as far as I am concerned.

For what it's worth, I don't think adding an amplifier to Mojo is the way to go here. Not to say you should definitely get Hugo 2, just that I'm dubious as to how much benefit an amplifier will bring to Mojo.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2019 at 7:25 AM Post #15,354 of 22,535
I just kept the micro USB charging cable handy, so I would just pop it in as necessary. Not a big deal, and probably not worth £1400 difference in price for that convenience alone. The primary concern ought to be sound. Desktop mode sealed the deal for me, basically.

When contemplating an upgrade I knew I wanted to stay Chord. The Qutest was an appealing option but finding the right amplifier seemed difficult plus Hugo 2 takes up an insignificant amount of desk real estate compared with Qutest + amplifier. For me, at this early stage of Hugo 2 ownership, it's the perfect solution. Plus, as I say, I really do like the remote. I did not expect to use it so much, it just saves reaching over!

Aiming to spend some time writing sound impressions this weekend, after which I'll have had a week with it. There are already clear differences between it and Mojo as far as I am concerned.

For what it's worth, I don't think adding an amplifier to Mojo is the way to go here. Not to say you should definitely get Hugo 2, just that I'm dubious as to how much benefit an amplifier will bring to Mojo.

thank you for sharing,

don't mind could you elaborate further on this?

much appreciated =)

Feb 7, 2019 at 8:26 AM Post #15,355 of 22,535
thank you for sharing,

much appreciated =)

I don't have any first hand experience doing this, but Mojo wasn't designed to work that way (I know it can be put into line out mode but its primary purpose is as a DAC/amp combo, not purely a DAC) and judging from some of the posts I've read here about how unfavourably Hugo 2 performs with an external amp versus direct, I imagine the same to be true for Mojo. However, some may disagree and as I say, no first hand experience so I cannot offer any real substance to my dubiety.

Sorry, that really doesn't help, lol. Perhaps try in the Mojo thread?

Feb 7, 2019 at 8:41 AM Post #15,356 of 22,535
thank you for sharing,

much appreciated =)

I don't have any first hand experience doing this, but Mojo wasn't designed to work that way (I know it can be put into line out mode but its primary purpose is as a DAC/amp combo, not purely a DAC) and judging from some of the posts I've read here about how unfavourably Hugo 2 performs with an external amp versus direct, I imagine the same to be true for Mojo. However, some may disagree and as I say, no first hand experience so I cannot offer any real substance to my dubiety.

Sorry, that really doesn't help, lol. Perhaps try in the Mojo thread?
According to my experience Hugo2 is a giant leap in objective sound quality vs Mojo. By objective I mean all the obvious qualities of the sound improve: resolution, detail, extension, soundstage, depth, separation, imaging, etc.
The Mojo still offers exceptional sq for the price, and it is an easier listen than the more 'attention demanding' Hugo2.
Hugo2 for sure is a better choice for desktop use than Mojo.

If I were you I would probably go for the Hugo2 instead of connecting Mojo to an amp. To me Mojo + 'good' amp provided a more satisfying listening experience with most full sized headphones compared to Mojo alone. The most noticeable difference for me was the increased bass body and impact.
That said you get this improvement with Hugo2 too in a much higher quality. I wouldn't think twice.

Feb 7, 2019 at 8:53 AM Post #15,357 of 22,535
According to my experience Hugo2 is a giant leap in objective sound quality vs Mojo. By objective I mean all the obvious qualities of the sound improve: resolution, detail, extension, soundstage, depth, separation, imaging, etc.
The Mojo still offers exceptional sq for the price, and it is an easier listen than the more 'attention demanding' Hugo2.
Hugo2 for sure is a better choice for desktop use than Mojo.

If I were you I would probably go for the Hugo2 instead of connecting Mojo to an amp. To me Mojo + 'good' amp provided a more satisfying listening experience with most full sized headphones compared to Mojo alone. The most noticeable difference for me was the increased bass body and impact.
That said you get this improvement with Hugo2 too in a much higher quality. I wouldn't think twice.

I would agree with your sentiments about Hugo 2 vs Mojo, though I would probably tone "giant" down to "noticeable" if I'm nit picking!

That said, I think Mojo has a character of its own which just simply may be more enjoyable to some. I plan to articulate my impressions this weekend, or at least try to :).

Feb 7, 2019 at 8:56 AM Post #15,358 of 22,535
I would agree with your sentiments about Hugo 2 vs Mojo, though I would probably tone "giant" down to "noticeable" if I'm nit picking!

That said, I think Mojo has a character of its own which just simply may be more enjoyable to some. I plan to articulate my impressions this weekend, or at least try to :).
Sure, saying a difference is small or big is always very subjective and relative. I agree with your opinion on Mojo.

Feb 7, 2019 at 9:01 AM Post #15,359 of 22,535

Below is a write up I did after moving from Mojo to Hugo 2, in case it helps you make a decision. IMO, if you have efficient cans then Hugo 2 is a no brainer.

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/85ccoi/source_switchup/dvwbpfp

Users who are viewing this thread

Back