Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jul 30, 2018 at 5:55 PM Post #13,637 of 22,467
why would you need to leave it on all the time?
Something to do with less wear n tear on the components. Not sure I entirely buy that. I can understand professional mixing boards don't like to be turned off. But, home equipment?
I also think it has something to do with desktop mode negating the number of charge cycles, shortening battery life. And the problem with 100% charging opposed to 80% when left on.

Jul 30, 2018 at 11:20 PM Post #13,638 of 22,467
I have both mojo and hugo2 and when I both charge and listen them I find the mojo more warmer a lot.

Jul 31, 2018 at 1:05 AM Post #13,639 of 22,467
Removing the case doesn’t solve it for me- it helps slightly reduce the temperature of H2. It is still VERY hot to the touch when in desktop mode.

It’s pretty hot in battery mode too so not sure if this is normal or not.

Do you have an infrared temp sensor, £10 or so for a temp gun.

My H2 also gets hot, this summer I took it out of its case.

However, at this moment in time, its in its van nuys case and I am listening to some tunes and its barely warm. The power usb cable is not plugged in.
When it was plugged in, H2 would be warm even when not using it, when I was using it whilst plugged in a few weeks ago, it did get hot’ish but not as hot as you are saying.

My mojo is much hotter than Hugo 2, probably due to H2s size and the big case acting like a big heatsink. Mojo has physically shut down on me loads of times, always whilst playing and charging at the same time. Also, a wooden table will heat up under hugo and will stay hot. I would use a different surface, if charging and playing, if just using its battery, it should feel slightly warm. Well thats what mine does.

Jul 31, 2018 at 1:09 AM Post #13,640 of 22,467
My mojo is much hotter than hugo2 too but never shutdown.

Jul 31, 2018 at 1:19 AM Post #13,641 of 22,467
why would you need to leave it on all the time?

For maximum battery life, Hugo 2 has to always be plugged into the charger and powered on, after 24 hours, hugo goes into desktop mode, however, if you turn hugo off with the remote or its power button, it will start charging again, which eats away at the batteries life.

Hugo 2 has on average 500 full charge and discharge cycles. When in desktop mode, if you turn hugo off, it will start charging from 80% to 100%, which is classed as one fifth of a charge cycle.

500 charge discharge cycles is not alot when you think about it, it wouldn’t be so bad if we could change its batteries ourselves but we can’t. If we do, it will void the warranty as the batteries are soldered inplace and its really easy to tell if there has been a diy battery replacement attempt.

Jul 31, 2018 at 1:22 AM Post #13,642 of 22,467
My mojo is much hotter than hugo2 too but never shutdown.

Do you have it in a case ? Whilst charging is it in its case and on soft furnishings ?

All 3 of my mojo have done it and everytime it was when I was inbed charging and playing with mojo cocooned on my duvet.

Its basically my fault but atleast I know the heat protection sensor works :).

Jul 31, 2018 at 2:56 AM Post #13,643 of 22,467
I think H2 has a plug in battery not soldered.

Jul 31, 2018 at 3:10 AM Post #13,644 of 22,467
Do you have it in a case ? Whilst charging is it in its case and on soft furnishings ?

All 3 of my mojo have done it and everytime it was when I was inbed charging and playing with mojo cocooned on my duvet.

Its basically my fault but atleast I know the heat protection sensor works :).
The mojo no but the hugo2 was in the dignis case and i had a lot of shutdown problems when it was inside. I have asked about that to Rob Watts and he has told me that if it is in case you can’t charge and listen it at the same time because of the thermal sensor. I have withdraw the case and my shutdown problem is over now.

Jul 31, 2018 at 6:04 AM Post #13,645 of 22,467
Do you have an infrared temp sensor, £10 or so for a temp gun.

My H2 also gets hot, this summer I took it out of its case.

However, at this moment in time, its in its van nuys case and I am listening to some tunes and its barely warm. The power usb cable is not plugged in.
When it was plugged in, H2 would be warm even when not using it, when I was using it whilst plugged in a few weeks ago, it did get hot’ish but not as hot as you are saying.

My mojo is much hotter than Hugo 2, probably due to H2s size and the big case acting like a big heatsink. Mojo has physically shut down on me loads of times, always whilst playing and charging at the same time. Also, a wooden table will heat up under hugo and will stay hot. I would use a different surface, if charging and playing, if just using its battery, it should feel slightly warm. Well thats what mine does.

I just ordered one on Amazon, will be here today. What sort of temperatures are getting with the temp sensor with or without the case- playing on battery vs playing when plugged in vs desktop mode?
This will be a pretty accurate assessment of whether my unit is performing as expected or needs to be replaced.

Thanks in advance!

Jul 31, 2018 at 9:22 AM Post #13,647 of 22,467
I think H2 has a plug in battery not soldered.

No, its a soldered battery.

Mojo has a plug in battery, not sure about hugo 1, but hugo 2 definitely has 2 batteries soldered to the pcb.

However, you can buy replacement batteries, think they are made by energies.

If I recall they are £35, I could be wrong but I seem to remember the number 35.

80E90707-8285-4A71-9340-B11DF0003FF2.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 31, 2018 at 9:38 AM Post #13,649 of 22,467
No, its a soldered battery.

Mojo has a plug in battery, not sure about hugo 1, but hugo 2 definitely has 2 batteries soldered to the pcb.

However, you can buy replacement batteries, think they are made by energix and can be bought from that website that sells raspberry pi’s, cant recall the exact name but 2 webstores in the uk sells pi’s and also these exact batteries.

If I recall they are £35, I could be wrong but I seem to remember the number 35.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cho...official-thread.831345/page-747#post-14068548

Users who are viewing this thread

Back