Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Feb 24, 2018 at 6:52 PM Post #11,192 of 22,463
Has anyone experienced the bitrate viewing window stopped changing colours for he different bitrates? I am certain mine used to do it fine but now it won’t change regardless of what nitrate I feed it from Roon.

Feb 24, 2018 at 7:17 PM Post #11,193 of 22,463
Has anyone experienced the bitrate viewing window stopped changing colours for he different bitrates? I am certain mine used to do it fine but now it won’t change regardless of what nitrate I feed it from Roon.
Don't have a definite answer, but has a setting in your computer/server been accidently altered?

Feb 24, 2018 at 9:22 PM Post #11,194 of 22,463
Going into the store, I knew for sure I wanted the black one. And then I saw the silver model and some very slight fading on the edges of the black model unit...

28164550_10156215978124394_8778210649039993212_o.jpg

Feb 25, 2018 at 1:12 AM Post #11,196 of 22,463
F63C1DEA-D755-4FDC-926D-7E89D8814AC3.jpeg
Don't have a definite answer, but has a setting in your computer/server been accidently altered?

You were right, thanks. Did some research re Roon and devices and found a setting deep in Audio setup called ‘Use Exclusive Mode’. When I turned this on it then started displaying the correct colour in the bitrate viewing window.

On a seperate matter I recently recieved my Easecase case for the H2. Very very affordable, and I am shocked at the outstanding quality of it. I have owned a lot of leather cases for daps etc and the quality of this one is as good if not better than any of them. Highly recommend them.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2018 at 6:35 AM Post #11,199 of 22,463
Hi, I would like to draw my fellow Hugo 2 owners‘ attention to the “Bit-perfect Audio from Linux“ thread. Starting with https://www.head-fi.org/threads/bit-perfect-audio-from-linux.561961/page-32#post-14042288, I did two posts over there looking at how to throw the various audio file formats at the Hugo 2. Out of the six possibilities (Linux / Windows, PCM / DSD / DoP), the only missing one remains native DSD on Linux. My current conclusion is that Hugo 2 can‘t do native DSD on Linux because the ALSA sound stack doesn‘t take care of the Hugo hardware (yet).

I am looking for confirmation or falsification of my conclusion here on Head-Fi. Please find my detailed posts in the other thread. Any feedback is very welcome.

PS: It shall be clear that I am not looking at what the Hugo 2 does wrt DSD internally, nor at the sound quality results.

PPS: Most importantly, DoP is as bit-perfect as native DSD, thus lean back and enjoy your music!

PPPS: Hope you don‘t mind cross-linking to another thread here in order to let it draw attention. Please respond appropriately.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2018 at 12:07 PM Post #11,200 of 22,463
these chord DACs are so good in driving anything from 8ohm speakers to 600 ohm headphones. these are my diy sealed box speakers based on fountek 135ex 5 inch full range drivers played directly by mojo to sufficiently good levels . single full range driver without whizzer cone is much more natural sounding and projects extremely accurate imaging free of any phase distortion. despite sealed box design the bass is very good and is very fast. vocals are much more life like. these speakers costed me around $300 inclusive of all. the song played is from a hindi movie and the composer is renowned A R Rahman.

Feb 25, 2018 at 12:07 PM Post #11,201 of 22,463
these chord DACs are so good in driving anything from 8ohm speakers to 600 ohm headphones. these are my diy sealed box speakers based on fountek 135ex 5 inch full range drivers played directly by mojo to sufficiently good levels . single full range driver without whizzer cone is much more natural sounding and projects extremely accurate imaging free of any phase distortion. despite sealed box design the bass is very good and is very fast. vocals are much more life like. these speakers costed me around $300 inclusive of all. the song played is from a hindi movie and the composer is renowned A R Rahman.

Feb 25, 2018 at 12:11 PM Post #11,202 of 22,463
Question for Rob Watts/John Franks: I read somewhere in this long thread that it is now easier to swap batteries than in the old Hugo (where they were apparently soldered), but can't find the post anymore... It was implied that it no longer costs as much as with the original. Could you clarify two things:

(1) Are the batteries now connected without them being soldered on?
(2) How much does an out of warranty battery replacement cost for a Hugo 2 through your UK factory? Can this be done even via dealers?

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2018 at 4:25 PM Post #11,203 of 22,463

That kind of music needs a powerful dynamic bass. The bass may be fast, but to me it is not "good". I can hear the Mojo struggling.
However, for providing background music that is not too demanding of bass and dynamics I suppose the Mojo and those speakers would work just fine. The vocals are great, but the limited bass would bother me. I have a 300 watt per channel amplifier so I guess I am spoiled...

Feb 26, 2018 at 12:55 AM Post #11,204 of 22,463
A
That kind of music needs a powerful dynamic bass. The bass may be fast, but to me it is not "good". I can hear the Mojo struggling.
However, for providing background music that is not too demanding of bass and dynamics I suppose the Mojo and those speakers would work just fine. The vocals are great, but the limited bass would bother me. I have a 300 watt per channel amplifier so I guess I am spoiled...
And I use a 900 watts per channel amp with my large difficult to drive electrostatic speakers.
I play symphonic music with up to 100 acoustic instruments and sometimes solists and a choir.

Feb 26, 2018 at 1:09 AM Post #11,205 of 22,463
Question for Rob Watts/John Franks: I read somewhere in this long thread that it is now easier to swap batteries than in the old Hugo (where they were apparently soldered), but can't find the post anymore... It was implied that it no longer costs as much as with the original. Could you clarify two things:

(1) Are the batteries now connected without them being soldered on?
(2) How much does an out of warranty battery replacement cost for a Hugo 2 through your UK factory? Can this be done even via dealers?

I can't comment on (2) but yes the batteries use plug in connectors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back