Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jul 29, 2018 at 8:20 AM Post #13,606 of 22,511
It's a doubly insulated PSU that has no ground and meets world wide safety approvals.

I did use a grounded PSU at one point, but got measured problems via the ground loop with the Audio Precision. I think this may be an AP issue; anyway, the chosen PSU measured perfectly, and didn't have this issue as there is no ground and very low leakage currents.

Cheers Rob. I know about the safety approvals, as seen by all the markings on the PSU adapter itself - that's all good. I wasn't asking about leakage currents either (for once! hehe).

I meant Hugo2's chassis - is there any requirement for the chassis/housing to be earthed? For safety?

Jul 29, 2018 at 3:02 PM Post #13,608 of 22,511
Maybe you are experiencing the thermal protection circuits activating, and shutting the H2 down.
Northern Europe is experiencing a heatwave, so the ambient temperature could be nearly 40C in Paris. Such high temperatures make it difficult for the heat generated inside the H2 to escape.
Hi, before return my hugo2 I have PMed mr Rob Watts. My hugo2 is in a dignis leather case and he as suggested me to take of the case and to try again outside of this case. I think the problem is now solve. Not any shutdown for more than 4 hours. I have seen a lot of post about this problem but no one is bout the possibility of shutdown because of the leather, perhaps this will help, thanks a lot mr Watts.

Jul 29, 2018 at 3:24 PM Post #13,609 of 22,511
Hi, before return my hugo2 I have PMed mr Rob Watts. My hugo2 is in a dignis leather case and he as suggested me to take of the case and to try again outside of this case. I think the problem is now solve. Not any shutdown for more than 4 hours. I have seen a lot of post about this problem but no one is bout the possibility of shutdown because of the leather, perhaps this will help, thanks a lot mr Watts.
Glad that your problem seems to be solved.
There have been quite a few posts asking if using a case risks causing overheating, followed by thermal shutdown. Thankfully the feedback so far seems to be few reports of issues. If you get any further issues, you can also try standing the dac on edge rather than flat, because this will increase the surface area available to transfer the heat.

Jul 29, 2018 at 3:38 PM Post #13,610 of 22,511
Enjoying AFC headphones w/Hugo 2. Find over sixty good time to jump off merry-go-round. Will enjoy nonetheless reading what purchasers and reviwers of the hottest new headphone gear have to say about it here on the forums. (-:

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2018 at 3:39 PM Post #13,611 of 22,511
Glad that your problem seems to be solved.
There have been quite a few posts asking if using a case risks causing overheating, followed by thermal shutdown. Thankfully the feedback so far seems to be few reports of issues. If you get any further issues, you can also try standing the dac on edge rather than flat, because this will increase the surface area available to transfer the heat.
Ok, thank you. Now I am sure it is not faulty and shutdown only because of overheating. I think too that some customers here have their Hugo in a dignis or other case and have the same problem for a long time and have not solved it. Hope this help. It would be nice if this problem had been describe on the small notice. I have it for more than 3 months, have tried to find a solution here, on Google and on our French website and have solved it only today. Good news and thanks again.

Jul 29, 2018 at 3:43 PM Post #13,612 of 22,511
I have standing the dac on edge rather than flat but on the leather case......!

Jul 29, 2018 at 4:33 PM Post #13,613 of 22,511
Hello, I recently experienced that the volume starts to rise without pressing any button. I realize because I usually listen at very low volume with T5p mk2.
Hugo2 is connecting by USB to a PC, something external can cause this problem or is it a defect of hugo2?
regards

Jul 29, 2018 at 6:41 PM Post #13,614 of 22,511
The Doors (50th anniversary deluxe edition), is a 3 cd set, cd 3 is all live numbers, feels like sound check sort of stuff, but its really nice ambiance in it, perfect to get a good listen to the lyrics. Worth a listen pop pickers.

Jul 30, 2018 at 5:34 AM Post #13,618 of 22,511
Has anyone tried the H2 with Empire Ears Phantom?

tried with Mojo at Canjam last week. To my ears too bassy, although Legend X had more. Chap next to.me remarked whole Empire range was similar. So probably good for those that like more bass than in original recording.

Jul 30, 2018 at 7:47 AM Post #13,619 of 22,511
Is anyone still having issues with their H2 units getting very hot?

I gifted my old Hugo 2 to a relative and recently bought a new one. The new unit gets very! hot on a wooden desk when playing and charging/in desktop mode and quite hot when running on battery.
I thought this was the case due to the unusually hot past few weeks in the UK but the last few days convinced me otherwise. The temperature is now in the low twenties so I don't think that ambient temperature is the culprit.

I would appreciate any input- I contacted my retailer about this already but would prefer to not have to send it back for testing...

Thanks,
Nick

Jul 30, 2018 at 7:52 AM Post #13,620 of 22,511
Is anyone still having issues with their H2 units getting very hot?

I gifted my old Hugo 2 to a relative and recently bought a new one. The new unit gets very! hot on a wooden desk when playing and charging/in desktop mode and quite hot when running on battery.
I thought this was the case due to the unusually hot past few weeks in the UK but the last few days convinced me otherwise. The temperature is now in the low twenties so I don't think that ambient temperature is the culprit.

I would appreciate any input- I contacted my retailer about this already but would prefer to not have to send it back for testing...

Thanks,
Nick
Do you place your H2 inside a case?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back